2019-04-16 17:14:29

Ya, that message sounds pretty good

2019-04-16 17:54:40

ok, started the beta version. Is it just me or are the headings all gone. I'm back to navigating using form controls, not as nice as the headings.

2019-04-17 08:44:04

Sorry guys, something went wrong with the beta release on iOS. It's actually an older version that's being served right now. I assumed Apple wouldn't need to review a release to beta (silly me). Then, I tried to get it reviewed and found out that the requirements changed, so I need to make additional changes. Will probably take a few days.

When updating to a new version, beta or not, your scores and unlocked character will remain, only the current game that you're playing will be lost.

Thanks all for your input concerning the resurrection feature!

Developer of text-based roguelike Path of Adventure.
Get it on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … fadventure
Download from the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/app/path-of-ad … 1449457468

2019-04-17 17:08:20

Thank you for your hard work.
Creativity to you!
A

2019-04-18 09:43:23

Both Android and iOS updates are released. Check for version 4.0. Have fun!

Download from the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/app/path-of-ad … 1449457468

2019-04-19 16:33:20

Ya, I had to redownload the ap to get the new version, for some reason after installing beta I couldn't upgrade the ap, but after redownloading the ap it's working fine. One thing I noticed right away is that I need a lot more keys, those eels are nasty, although now that I can buy sharpening stones from the merchant, I don't have to free knights as often, and what, are they impervious to fire? I don't think I'd want ropes burned off my skin, but to each their own.

The new content is great, there's a lot more going on now that's for sure. If you could make using the wizard staff optional it would help with overall strategy. I'm pretty impressed with how much was added, and the new heal mushrooms are a treat.

2019-04-19 21:26:41

Did you lose save progress when redownloadi? I just assumed that the new version was beta to public so not seeing an update didn't concern me.

2019-04-19 21:33:18

This is nice. I like the fact that the ruins seem more ... ruinsy. I like the magician's glove. The mage just got easier now that I didn't start with the wizard's staff, because if will shield... bye bye staff.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-04-20 22:02:45

@ Keeweed, - WoW! Just finished a run through with Assassin, new high score 215. I love the changes, this is incredible, the new content is amazing. I love the new mushrooms, - Heal and Mana, I count 9 different mushrooms in total now. - "Magician's glove" What's that, I haven't found that artifact yet.

I love the new start for each character, more individualized, and the story part there is great.

The ruins and dungeons do feel like distinct entities now, It might be nice to have an option to wander back to a willow tree or an island that you didn't initially want to explore, but overall this is great. I'm just thinking if you have explored everywhere and haven't found the treasure, then maybe instead of being forced to abandon the search, you could wander back and reconsider the decision to leave the willow alone, or maybe hack down the thorn bushes that you overlooked before.

I like the way the ruins allow you to explore more, and the dungeons are more a way in and then back out thing. It really makes a difference in game play.

and with all the new ways to gain experience I don't mind losing the 1 exp for killing in one round, I think the current exp is a good balance, and losing the 1 exp is sometimes worth not taking a hit, so it is a nice balance there too.

I especially like how in ruins you have choices about breaking open coffins, or exploring sewers, somehow I feel better about being ambushed when I choose to look into that pipe leaking questionable fluids.

I noticed you made fleeing early on the path more costly, but later fleeing seems to cost about the same. Overall I think that the current levels are fine, I never fled from the early encounters anyway.

getting crystal shards can still be a bit more of a crap shoot than I would like, considering the value of the end weapons. Sometimes the challenge is easy, but other times both challenges end up being too challenging, and the life risk factor just doesn't seem worth trying to keep life under 5 for the second part of the game.

This has been an incredible improvement from the original. The content works well, and is fairly well balanced, I like the way smoke bombs work, and having the knights occasionally saved by fire does take some the the strain off the key stash, that the eels were adding. So, even the use of items is balanced.

I'd say other than selling multiple items, - which is more of a convenience thing, than about strategy, the only change I would suggest is some way to save your staff when casting spells.

Well done, and it's good to see you putting so much effort into this game.

2019-04-20 22:25:42 (edited by Mitch 2019-04-21 00:16:06)

Basically the magician's glove "gives you a quick hand." +2 speed on melee attacks. I find that nice. Are the totems still there? I haven't found them.
By the way, will there be a double durability weapon?

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-04-21 16:34:42

ok, I found the glove, +2 speed on barehanded attacks, it won't increase the speed of your scimitar, so it's really only going to help out if you have the knuckle duster.

Yes, the totems are still there,

and I've had a chance to wander back through a mushroom room now. There's an allergic reaction so the mushroom eating price is increased by 1 but you get 2 mushrooms now, so it might be worth it, especially if you get a detox, grow, or the new heal mushroom.

and I was thinking a net, or fishing lure might help with the eels, like maybe you could distract them with the lure and save the rest of your gear, but I'm not sure how that would work in the river, maybe you could reach the other side, and then retrieve the item in the river with the lure by "snagging" the item, or maybe the item would only work on the eels.

even without an extra item though, the game has a lot of good content and variety of items. I like how the merchant is selling everything now, and with the knights giving out heal potions it makes the items sold by the merchant balance out. - Meaning that it's ok if you don't get a heal potion from the merchant, because you might pick one up from a knight.

I've still died a few times, which is good, games that are too easy will get boring quickly.

Also, if you could add a final level like cursed mode or impossible mode, where you lose 1 life everyday on the path. I think it could be done, but with tremendous difficulty.

2019-04-22 11:44:34 (edited by Keeweed 2019-04-22 11:45:44)

Hi guys, glad to read you're liking the new content! Sorry about the trouble with the iOS beta, it turned out that it was serving an older version for the beta program. But everything is live now.

Mitch, I'll think about a weapon with double durability!

Ben, thanks for going over all the changes, I appreciate that. By the way, it was you who suggested something like the Magician's Glove wink I'll see what I can do about the Staff and the maybe balance the queen tasks better. Which of the tasks would you say are too hard? And also I'll set my mind on adding one or two more classes for the real fans smile

Another thing I'm working on now, is an undo function. I'm planning on making that the paid feature, instead of putting the resurrection back. Basically, the feature allows you to undo any move, and as many as you want. But, undos (I need a better word...) are limited, because they need to be bought. This way I hope to improve the game and at the same time, get rid of the trial setup.

2019-04-22 13:36:49

At this moment I would complain for paying for a game that may go free, but eh, who am I kidding? This game's  worth every penny I spent on it.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-04-22 20:55:03

@ Kenshira, - no you won't lose your old game data when downloading, I still have all my old high scores.

@Keeweed
Ya, the mage's glove makes a nice balance there because you have item for defence, and attack, i.e. cloak of camaflouge and the mage's glove. Niether is as good as the old elvin cloak, because the old cloak could be added to weapons, but with all the enchanted weapons out there now it all works out. I do remember recommending the speed item, to add that exact balance, glad to see you used it.

I also like how there is a limit to curses. like, a oak shield with a defense curse of -2 will have no effect if you already have a defence of 0 and will still give the +4 for using the shield in battle. It makes picking up cursed items not so bad.

With all the new content, I'll have to redo the rogues guide.

The tasks that I find difficult are keeping life undere 6, or being poisoned. Unless you are lucky enough to get a switch mushroom, the latter means sometimes getting poisoned 5 days out from the cave and wondering about wandering ruins or dungeons for added poisin damage. The game is pretty fineline, and the randomness makes it hard to determine whether you can get poisoned again.

The life under 6 is more problematic when it comes up as the second quest. At least in the earlier part of the game there's not much that takes out 5 life in one hit. but after the 2nd mini boss this changes. Basically, keeping your character deliberately weak is just difficult strategy. When I mentioned not leveling up right away and saving items in the rogue's guide I wasn't thinking about needing to stay poisoned, or not taking the opportunity to go into battle with full health. Just making the most of the items that you do get.

If you made the challenge, have life at 10 or higher the challenge would be almost a total cinch, just keep a heal potion handy, and presto.
The easier tasks are having one stat above 3 - especially as the 2nd task. Also, treasure above 150 is more manageable. It sometimes makes for a lot of indecision at the merchant, but I can usually afford it, although sometimes not, depending.
Also, keeping an elixir in inventory is usually manageable, it is trickier now with those eels running around, but it's a good challenge without the annoyance of the low life or poisin challenges.

Also, it may just be a matter of division. What is the most annoying is when the first challenge is something like poisin or low life, or just a game where I can't muster the 150 treasure, and then the next challenge is low life or poisin. Getting a bad draw on both is what really stings. So, maybe if the low life and poisin were only on the 1st task, and the 2nd task could be easier, like the one stat above 2 or keeping an lixir around - super easy for the 2nd part, then it might work a little better.

Even a randomized weapon from the queen is pretty powerful, and if you really need you can sell it and buy something else for a small difference, but getting nothing from the queen makes the final castle a difficult go, depending on what else you might get from the sorcerer. Some games I've gotten an enchanted battle axe from the sorcerer, and wouldn't need the final special weapon, but other games it is essential, and in fact, most games I would say the final weapon is important.

Double durability is especially nice with a sharpening stone, I might recommend making a double durability sword, a light weapon and a heavy weapon, It would really add to the monster and dungeon treasures, maybe just adjust the tables a little so that instead of getting some of the current weapons from a ruins or a deal to exterminate a monster the new artifact weapons with the double durability replace those drops in the new addition. So, instead of making a deal with the tourist or scientist or monk for a goblin claw, it would be the new heavy hitter with the double durability, and keep the sharpening stone the way it is. As near as I can tell with the new double durability when you fix all weapons the marble shield gains another 6 points of durability in total, but not 100% sure on that last one.

2019-04-23 00:33:28

Fabulous!

I love this new content and am very impressed withg all you folks since I am still trying to beat the warrior. LOL

Worth every single penny.
I think re-do says it all really.
Thanks amillion!
A

2019-04-23 10:08:24

@Mitch, don't worry, I'll make sure my early supporters are well treated when it comes to the undo system smile

@Ben, sorry you have to redo the guide wink About the tasks, the first task is always level 3 stat, 150 treasure, or an elixir. Then the second task is always poisoned, low life, or breaking weapon. I do agree that being poisoned and having low life are the hardest tasks. The idea with both of them is that mushrooms should play a role here, but of course you have to have them in the first place.

@imaginingstuff, glad you like it!

2019-04-23 16:53:46

You know what would be hilarious but actuably not work? You start from the end of the path, and you work your way backwards, using the elixirs to lose stats. If you lose stats, you won't keep dying, or something.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-04-24 10:35:35

Lol, yeah, or maybe something for the Hallucination Mushroom wink

2019-04-25 14:51:51

Hi Keeweed,

I can't believe I didn't notice that before, with the task I mean. Now that I understand the devision that should make things a lot easier. Sometimes it's just about knowledge.

I think if people are paying to be resurrected, they should basically be restored to full health, cured of poisin, and in the same situation, so if you died with the stone mand at life of 2 you will have full health and the Stoneman will still be damaged.

If there is a re-do option, it should be just one move back, and should probably not cost anything. This should really be just for accidental screen taps. I've had it happen on occasion, but just accept that as part of te dexterity challenge part of the game, some games are all about dexterity, so I don't mind the small amount required here, but if you do build in a re-do, it will really just help out for accidents, I don't think it will quite be as bad as save cheating, especially with the new ring of braun taking 3 charges to hit, or the stealth ring providing the first chance to strike, neither is that random, so the most a re-do would let you alter is maybe the amount of damage dealt, and that is usually a finite range. I could see obsessive save cheaters using un-do to take down a monster in a few fewer hits, but if they really want to change the numbers that badly, maybe just let them - or, if you could program this without too much difficulty you could have the amount of damage dealt by the attack stored in some kinda memory, so that if you re-do and then choose the same attack, it will generate the same result. To make this truly effective you might have to store the damage from multiple options. Like if someone tried attacking with a pickaxe, and then decided to try a fly swatter instead, but did a third re-do and went back to the pick axe they will still have the same pickaxe result, and make sure that using a spell or item doesn't wipe out the memory either.

One word on save cheating. - I noticed that spiderwebs appear with different life totals, and that the life only appears after you start to attack, so in the old version I tried attacking, but without actually attacking, just to see the life total, and then choosing to give up, and then trying to attack again. I noticed that the spiderwebs would have the same life total, so this cheat was not available. I'm assuming thorn bushes work the same way. So, if you make the re-do option devoid of chances to alter randomness, it should definitely be free, and then charge players for a resurrection.

A resurrection will add life to the player, and this could be used to advance game play. Explain that this option is not a requirement, and somehow alert players to the fact that some games are not worth pursueing. If you're trying to punch the stone man to death with a knuckle duster, and only doing 1 damage each turn, it might not be worth resurrecting, because even after getting through that battle, if you don't have a weapon it will be very challenging to finish the game.

Given the complexities it might just be worth forgoing the resurrection option, but I could still see selling pouches of pixie dust for a small price.

2019-04-26 11:32:08

Thanks for all the insights, Ben! The undo function works exactly like you described: it doesn't allow to 'retry' the same move, for that will always render the same outcome. The undo function is there mainly to undo a mistake, either because of pressing the wrong button, or because of something game-related. Like, you forgot being poisoned and died, with an Elixer in your pack. It's not a great cheating device, and that's actually what I like about it. Still, there are some possibilities, like trying to dodge, fail, undo, and then block. Whether people will be ready to pay for it is the big question. I hope so, but if not, that's OK too. At least then the game is free to play for all.

I'm currently in the process of releasing the undo feature to beta. Android is done; iOS will follow soon. Please let me know what you guys think.

2019-04-26 14:25:32

Hello
I have fownd a bug, maybe a Feature big_smile.
When an Enemy Is trying to flee, use a smoke bom it will not flee, even after 2 turns after the smoke bom effect has ended, that doesn’t work on the dragon, Hydra and giant.

2019-04-26 15:03:37 (edited by Mitch 2019-04-26 15:04:07)

huh...t's interesting.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-04-26 20:54:22

Awesome undo feature. I like the q and a about its purpose before you actually use it. It should clear things up. I do have a couple suggestions. Firstly, can we have the undo command take us to the beginning of a room encounter rather than the last move exactly? The reason for my request is that I found myself in a situation where I was poisoned and went after a tree with 4 health and survived the first hit thinking I could heal up but couldn't and died, so it took me 3 undos to bring myself back to a point where I could heal up properly. This will save players undos over time. Secondly, I know the number of undos is shown on the screen after you choose the option before confirming, but can we have a counter next to the option at the top of the screen also?

Still think that this game is worth the money I spent on it, and I'm glad I could help support its development. Keep up the good work!

2019-04-28 13:30:18

@mazen, well spotted! But, that's actually a feature smile The idea is that the smoke confuses the enemy, causing it to abandon its attempt to flee.

@KenshiraTheTrinity, thanks for checking out the undo feature! I understand the desire to undo bigger steps. First, I think I'll remove some of the non-choices from the undo list, like when you have to press continue after a fight. I'm afraid that bigger steps will introduce new kind of problems and unwanted scenarios. For example, after a successful battle, you want to undo dropping the wrong weapon. In that case you don't want to have to fight the monster all over again.
A counter for the Undos on the button would be a great improvement indeed, I'll see if I can add that.

I'm trying to get the new version released to iOS beta as well, but man, does Apple make it difficult. It's approved for production, but still not for beta... So, yeah, it's going to take another day, I guess.

2019-04-28 19:03:20

It is all worth waiting for, my talented friend.
Many thanks

A