2019-04-22 05:40:01

can someone direct me to a cheep microphone?
my laptop mike is crap, and I wanna make podcasts.
and make streams
so, I want a cheep mike so I wont have to use reaper to raise the volume of my laptop mike.
my price range is 19usd to30usd
please note, usd is multiplied by 7 in ttd
so yeah.
have a good night all

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2019-04-22 05:51:35

So far as I know, there are no good high-quality microphones that fit your price range. None that are designed for making podcasts, at any rate, which is what you'll be needing. If memory serves, mine was a good 70-90 bucks at least, though I don't specifically use it for podcasting (though that's what it was designed for).

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-04-22 06:15:10

dam it
wait!
do you remember the reaper lessons from covvy?
when they wer talking about microphone's, he did mention and shode off a
30$ kundencer microphone...

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2019-04-22 07:10:08

I'm not saying you won't find one fitting that price range, but like, it'll be a shot in the dark, and then if it sucks, you will have wasted your money, so yeah, I'd not try until you can save up more or something.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-22 07:15:14 (edited by defender 2019-04-22 07:16:04)

After looking around/listening to tests for about an hour, it seems like the audiotechnica ATR2100 paired with a Nady MPF6 pop filter may be your best bet.

2019-04-22 16:02:27

thanks

2019-04-22 17:01:03

no, no, no, no, and no, do not fucking buy that thing, no.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-22 20:10:22 (edited by defender 2019-04-22 20:19:30)

@7
And your reasoning for that is?
Because I heard plenty of third party tests, and for the price I'm confident in saying it's either the best or close to it, it even has XLR along with the USB, so that if he is able to get an inexpensive mixer in the future, he'll already have that ability.
Now I don't have the best headphones in the world it's true, but most listeners wouldn't anyway, and I don't hear anything in those tests that would be distracting, where as I do with many others at the same price range.  Even if their are some slight audio problems (I didn't hear any but I know it depends on the environment, mounting, and speaker distance) he could fix them quite easily in post I'm sure, and that's something he should learn how to do regardless.
The mic consistently pops up on plenty of review sites as one of the top budget studio solutions, including on those that aren't using any affiliate links and are being honest in their criticisms.

You've already made it clear that you think he should wait and save up more, which is definitely one way to go, but at the same time, why not get something cheaper that you can upgrade later if you find you enjoy podcasting, rather than spending lots of money on something you may lose interest with quickly.

Do you have personal experience or at least plenty of anecdotes from others , that would suggest that there is a better alternative for about the same amount of money?
Is their something seriously wrong with it that hasn't been corrected in the newer productions which no one has mentioned for some reason?

2019-04-22 20:23:04 (edited by Chris 2019-04-22 20:30:10)

The Technica offers both USB and XLR capabilities, which is really great considering the price. It sounds decent if all you wish to do is record your voice.

While you're probably not going to find a decent microphone for $30, there are several options available that cost under $100. I wouldn't go for something like the Blu Yetti unless you have a need for the various modes it offers.

There's buying equipment that's extremely cheap, and then there's spending too much for things you don't realistically need. Think about what you want to do and then plan accordingly. I wouldn't spend less than $40, but don't spend more than $100 unless it's something you really need. Also be sure to listen to reviews and do your research before committing to anything. We can give you suggestions, but it's ultimately your choice asto what you decide to purchase and use.

Can anyone recommend a good pop filter for the Audio Technica? I have a decent one for my Shure, but I don't know if it would be compatible.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-04-22 20:30:20

I've had two of them, they sound great, but suffer from their own unique problems. The first one would connect via USB, back then, I had no way to test the XLR connectivity and had no need or desire to do so. When it would connect, sometimes it would have a normal output volume, and sometimes, it would be very low, and anything you try to use the microphone to do, the thing would be so faint as to be barely audible. Then, other times, it started out fine, and faded as time went along, and that's the way it was once that started. After that, the mute switch started to fail. First it did its job just fine, attenuating the signal to infinity, then the mute switch would lower the sound, but not in fact mute it, so probably about -40dB or so. It got to the point where it would progressively mute less and less until there was no change in the audio output regardless if the mute was on or off.

The second one I still do have, and it isn't suffering either the fading output or the mute switch problem, but it has developed a hum which comes and goes. When its gone, I haven't found a way to make it come back, and when it's there, I haven't found a way to make it go permanently. The one thing that I can do to get it to stop the humming is to point it straight up and down so it's perpendicular to the ground, and then the humming is gone. I did have an opportunity to test this over XLR, and the problem still persists there.

It's a little difficult for me to have trust in them now, because while I do like their sound, they just end up having weird problems. The one I have now is useless to me at this point.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-22 20:54:30 (edited by defender 2019-04-22 20:54:52)

Hmm okay that's understandable that you wouldn't be very confident in them then, but , maybe they've fixed that since you owned yours?  I'm not seeing many reviews on the main resellers mentioning that recently.
I mean if their was an alternative that sounded just as good I'd obviously suggest that, but I can't really think of one that's actually comparable in sound quality, and pretty much all budget electronics suffer from reliability issues over time.
Maybe he could find a more expensive used/quality refurbished model that's been lowered in price or wait for a deal or clearance on one?

Now I thought I remembered hearing that the ATR2100 had a -10DB feature, could you have been using that by accident onyour first one?
Also did you ever test the humming one on another source?  Maybe it was the computer.

2019-04-22 21:38:20

It does not have a -10dB feature, I also bought my second one sometime early last year, and did notice a few minor changes, but nothing significant. I doubt new ones are better. I also do not buy, and do not recommend buying refurbished anything.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-23 04:13:23 (edited by defender 2019-04-23 04:14:09)

Yeah maybe that was the CAD U37 I was thinking of.  And I personally have no problem buying refurb when I know it's a reputable company and the return policy/warranty is good, but maybe that's just me.

2019-04-23 05:33:39

@ defender
can you please give me the demo for the mike?
@ ironcross32
do you know of any mikes wich is $40 and loer?
i'm asking for this because I doen't have access to mony.
so, ile be saveing for my birthday.
so yeah.

2019-04-23 06:23:24

no not really, that's what I was saying above, it would be a real crap shoot if you try to get something that cheap.

End racism
End division
Become united