2019-04-21 21:25:45 (edited by Sam_Tupy 2019-04-21 21:26:25)

Remember Oh Shit? Now we have Ah damn It! This game has existed on my hard drive for some time, I more or less took a break from all gamedev aside from cp for a while. Well, now I'm back I guess, and as a sort of Easter gift I decided to release an AS IS concept demo of Ah Damn it! Like Oh Shit, the idea is to take different concepts from Crazy Party and mix them all together to make an interesting game. There are zombies, trolls, ghosts that curse you, bats, even balloons! There are many more entities in this game for you to kill and that will try to kill you. The game is played from above, not a side scroller. This is just a concept demo, if people like it I will continue to update it. Plans include a scoreboard, logged statistics, and the most unique, an online mode! Let me know what you guys think! Get it from http://samtupy.com/games/ah_damn_it.zip
I hope you enjoy!

I am a web designer, and a game developer. If you wish see me at http://www.samtupy.com

2019-04-21 22:28:26 (edited by Tissman 2019-04-21 22:29:06)

Oh wow, online mode will be cool.
This game has a nice concept, and I am looking forward to new updates!

check my sounds on
freesound

2019-04-21 22:29:42

I think the intro sound should only play when you first launch the game, or at least that there should be a way to skip it. I tryed enter and escape, but nothing. It gets kind of old and annoying rather quickly.

2019-04-21 22:41:06

Running it gives unable to execute script ah damn it. Error log:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ah_damn_it.pyw", line 5, in <module>
  File "nvg.py", line 1877, in init nvg
  File "nvg.py", line 13, in nvg.MockModule._initialize_
  File "nvg.py", line 1882, in nvg._dialogs
  File "c:\python37\lib\site-packages\PyInstaller\loader\pyimod03_importers.py", line 627, in exec_module
  File "site-packages\wx\__init__.py", line 17, in <module>
  File "c:\python37\lib\site-packages\PyInstaller\loader\pyimod03_importers.py", line 627, in exec_module
  File "site-packages\wx\core.py", line 12, in <module>
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ah_damn_it.pyw", line 5, in <module>
  File "nvg.py", line 1877, in init nvg
  File "nvg.py", line 13, in nvg.MockModule._initialize_
  File "nvg.py", line 1882, in nvg._dialogs
  File "site-packages\wx\__init__.py", line 17, in <module>
  File "site-packages\wx\core.py", line 12, in <module>
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-04-21 22:51:44

Game over! You lasted 4 minutes and 9 seconds with a final score of 120 points. And he jumps, he raises his weapon... Oh... guess the bat managed to use it's weapons first! Well... that's all folks. Thanks for watching the obliteration of the player do to a mear cave bat! We know it was a lousy show, but refunds will not be provided. Blame the stupid ass player.

2019-04-21 23:14:01

I like this! Are you planning to add achievments? Considering how amusing the death messages are, I can imagine that any achievments would be great.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-04-21 23:17:34

Question, do you think this game will be a cross platform game? Meaning do you think it will be for macOS?  That would be so nice. Also, it would be nice for online mode to be added to the game.

2019-04-21 23:18:16

Wow this is a really fun little frustrationizer and a great idea for a game. I especially like the crazy mix of enemies and concepts and such from Crazy party.

I also agree with Turtlepower, achievements would be awesome, so if its a question about whether to continue development this gets a thumbs up from me big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-04-21 23:37:37

It's realy cool, waiting for new updates!

2019-04-21 23:55:19

Hi everyone, I am glad you like the game! @3, the idea behind the intro is that it is kind of a 3, 2, 1, go! If people like though I can probably add a way to skip it. I have recorded a demo of me playing this game, hopefully this will help with many questions about how to play. There is no commentary. http://anyaudio.net/listen?audio=pls5nKgIwF

I am a web designer, and a game developer. If you wish see me at http://www.samtupy.com

2019-04-22 00:01:24

Also, about the error, try redownloading and/or rebooting. I can't promase that will fix it but it seems not many people are getting those errors, so it may be worth a try. Let me know if you still get it after doing those things.

2019-04-22 00:31:05 (edited by Chris 2019-04-22 01:54:49)

I love this game! What did you have in mind for multiplayer? Here are a couple of ideas.

1. Have one player be the controller who can spawn all sorts of obstacles while the others play.
2. Let players play until there's only one person left. The person that's left is the last man standing and wins.
3. Allow players to possibly combine these modes. Someone acts as the controller while other players play last man standing.

If you're going to do multiplayer, please either use a central server or create a server application. This will make it easier for people to play without the need to forward ports.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-04-22 01:35:28 (edited by defender 2019-04-22 01:36:19)

I'm especially impressed with how the AI's can interact in this game, lends it a whole other layer of entertainment.
Yes I definitely think you should continue this project!

2019-04-22 01:43:38

Hi. @criss, good ideas for multiplayer! Yes I will probably create a centralised server. What was planned for multiplayer actually was that you and a team can all play on the same board at the same time. You could just have 1 team of players, or multiple teams. Or you could play solo vs another person playing solo. When a teammate picks up an item, the score of the entire game goes up not just for that player. At the end, the team who has the highest amount of points wins, or if you are playing just 1 team of many players, you can just see your final score at the end for fun. But your ideas are great, perhaps I'll add multiple modes so we can implement some of them! Defender mentioned the AI interaction. That's something I was also proud of when I made this, basically we have a entity system. Everything including the player is an entity. Because of this, adding multiplayer mode should be easy, because we already have targeting coded so the other entities will just go to the nearest player on the map.

2019-04-22 01:46:37

I launch the  game and get the intro prompt. I  can up arrow to read it, but hitting enter doesn't do anything.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2019-04-22 01:47:25

I love the idea of a last man standing mode, but also the team mode sounds fun as well. Very impressed with this.

Silly Gohan, animals don't eat people. People eat animals.

2019-04-22 01:48:24 (edited by defender 2019-04-22 05:43:54)

Just be careful not to get sucked into multiplayer drama again okay?  You know their will be balancing issues (their always are) so I'd suggest trying to work them out as best as you can before going live or doing updates.  You'll still get some of course, but hopefully that will help reduce them.
Don't let people boss you around and try and influence you into trying to make fixes that benefit them.
It's really hard to avoid greefing and power mismatches with a community of this size, but maybe you can do some research on how other small games deal with it in the mainstream.
I'd much prefer either co op mode only or no online mode at all my self, in order to nullify these problems all together, but maybe that's just me.  I'd suggest keeping in mind that you could be getting to excited and biting off more than you can chew time and mental health wise; maybe slow down and think it through carefully before committing to online play.

2019-04-22 02:30:31

I like the idea of the intro that way you aren't just thrown straight in, but I could see why people might want to skip it.

2019-04-22 05:34:10

Personally, I think the intro is fine. It's short and sweet, plus it's catchy. If it went on for 30 seconds, then I'd agree, but since there's no menu, I think it's more than reasonable. Also:

Game over! You lasted 4 minutes and 39 seconds with a final score of 112 points. I know it is hard to imagine, but you were actually killed by something that just might, and I stress that last word greatly, be just a little bit dumber than you. It would certainly be a question up for debate if there were enough people around to care.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-04-22 06:09:29

@defender
Online mode will be completely optional, you won't have to use it what so ever if you don't want. Also, it's not a constant map like redspot or stw, it's more like a room system similar to RS games or the playroom, the central server would exist for the only reason being that you wouldn't have to forward ports to play, thus there will be no need even for administration sans making sure people don't use crashwords or something in usernames, there probably won't even be a chat system. It's mostly just for friends to be able to play together, without having to forward ports to do so.

2019-04-22 15:28:11

The game is awesome, it made me rage after, um, 20 tryes or so.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2019-04-22 16:46:21

I guessed that it's something like oh shit as soon as I saw the name in new releases room. Downloading it. I like this kind of game types. Keep it up. I'm beginning to feel better as new and new titles get released here

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2019-04-22 17:02:18 (edited by kianoosh 2019-04-22 17:19:23)

K. A few things I want to point out. First congrats, This thing is addictive like Oh shit.
Second I think that zombie caught me in the air. Is that normal?
Third, Bats are a bit over powered IMO

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2019-04-22 17:50:39

oh nice! it's small but so very funny game!
thanks sam for this

Yours kindly

2019-04-22 18:47:14

hi sam, i am  getting this error i did what you toled me to do rebooted and redownloaded game, still dont work

Suffering's what keeps me alive.
If one never suffers, one doesn't live propperly.
So embrace the pain, the suffering life has brought you and will bring you in the future