2019-04-12 16:30:29

That's a good idea.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-12 22:44:40

What about topics such as "Stephen king books" and the like, where there isn't something new to say on a regular basis?
It doesn't make sense to me, to make a new topic if you have a longrunning discussion going, albeit not daily.
What if games in the new releases room were moved to general discussion after a month?
That way those topics could keep going if they needed to do so, and New Releases would be clear for "new" games?
I know that I have personally brought up old topics, because it's the first time I've discovered a game. I have also seen old topics brought up by others that caused me to discover a game that was new to me.

2019-04-19 05:28:36

I'm noticing that topics are getting locked in general game discussion and it’s kind of pissing me off. Like okay sure they are really old topics but the questions are being asked are legit and related to the topic. I feel that the gun is being jumped... I also think that the warnings that were given are also uncalled for.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2019-04-19 08:16:58

they should be locked, they're like 15 years and 13 years old, they could have been left to go, but some numpty had to go and start them back up again for no reason than to troll.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-19 13:48:21

If a topic has been dead for quite literally 14 years it's probably a safe assumption that it's well and truly dead. So I'd say bumping it up to the top with a pointless reply probably deserves to be called out in some fashion. Once? Ok fine. Maybe you were really, really dumb and didn't check the date. But raising 5 or 6 of these from the dead for no good reason? On the same day? From roughly the same time period? Threads that only ever had a couple messages to begin with? Yeah that's something else. I'd think the least that deserves is a warning, which is what was given. But I think it also depends on the case. I'm pretty sure no one would have batted an eye if it was one of the big threads for games that are several years old that people are still discovering and playing. But these were threads to which no one has posted anything in over a decade. One of these was in reply to someone who doesn't appear to have posted anything on the forums in any capacity since 2014. Just a bit ridiculous, don't you think?

2019-04-19 20:52:45

Nope I don't think its ridiculous at all. What is ridiculous is when being policed what topic we can and can not post in...

2019-04-19 21:02:09

I mean, I get that reviving 14 year old topics is ridiculous for no other reason than you've got to have way too much time on your hands in order to even find them, but I don't think it's quite as big a deal as some people are making it out to be. As I said, if it bothers you that much, don't add fuel to the fire by posting in them. They'll quickly sink back into the depths from which they came.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-04-19 21:21:04

Jeffb, I must respectfully disagree. It isn't that difficult to look at the date and think: "huh, this hasn't been replied to in 15 years, and it only has two replies. I don't think I should reply." For example: from the lone wolf topic:

crazygamer wrote:

hello.the internet would be cool, wat about more missions? or a little tool where u could make your own mission? lw is a cool game. and to have lw4 to download would be absolutely great.

Though he was giving ideas, it was way too late, and with only a few replies from March 2005 to that topic, it doesn't take that much common sense to realize that  there literally is no reason to reply to the topic. Just make your own topic.
Regarding policing the topics that we can post in, if it's something from 15 years ago, what's the point? There is no conceivable point for posting a topic in a dead topic that has stayed dead for a very long time.
I'll try my hand at an analogy, though this might not work. Say for example you heard that Antarctica was warm with lush green grass, about 100 million years ago. Now you decided to go there, and you froze, because most of enery is either dead or has adapted into fir trees. Crappy analogy, but I'm just trying to get my point across.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-04-20 01:44:16

Doing it once is no huge deal. Doing it multiple times is trolling. That's not okay. Don't do it.

Crazygamer got a warning because he did it multiple times, and because even when the warning was given, there was reasonable suspicion that he was a long-time user of the forum with other history here, who really shouldn't have had more accounts in the first place.

If you think this is policing, I'm afraid you'll have to just agree to disagree, or go elsewhere. I don't think this is a draconian rule and I don't think it's being enforced with too heavy a hand. Just look what happened in his other thread in Off-topic Discussion, how quickly and recklessly he escalated the situation. There are legitimate ways to protest something; that isn't one of them.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-04-20 02:02:13

I'll agree to disagree.

2019-04-20 02:13:12

So take a case that occurred with me.
I joined in 2014.
I discovered Cthulhumud, and I was fascinated.
I don't remember how long the topic had been dormant, but the way I found it is by googling "muds with Cthulhu."
Is that a bad thing, to bring it up, ask questions, see if anyone is playing, and maybe allow others to discover a game that is as new to them as it was to me, even though said game had been going for quite a while?
Real question, not argument.

2019-04-20 02:35:17

No, it's not an issue as far as I see it. Thread necromancy is a problem only if the new potential discussion is not positive or likely to be positive.
Example: You found that thread, and posted in it. Okay, maybe you brought it back from the dead, but that's no big deal unless you're doing it all the time and your posts are nonsensical, but if you were trying to re-gauge interest in the game, then fine. I don't like locking topics just because they're at an arbitrary age, myself.

The reason Crazygamer got cautioned and then warned is because all of his threads were very, very old, had served their purpose and weren't in any way likely to be active anymore. It was not a legitimate question, concern or comment placed in a very, very old thread. Someone said he basically dug up the oldest threads he could find, and he himself said he just looked up info about certain things, yet those search results would've appeared at the bottom. To me, this is necromancy for its own sake, which is pointless and annoying.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-04-20 05:32:50

I agree with Jayde's decision. That is all.
Still think if possible this forum needs a topic autolock for stuff that's like at the very least over a year old...

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2019-12-29 17:10:07 (edited by Jaseoffire 2019-12-29 18:25:21)

Right. I think I am going to use this moment of thread necromancy to give my thoughts on thread necromancy. As my actions here would suggest, I do not mind the practice, and it is my most  sincere hope that I am not causing any issues by doing this. This really is for the illustration, and as per my usual manner of doing things, while I may have an opinion, I could also see this as a good argument why tn should not be permitted. That being said, this thread isn't all that old, but there is already an existing thread that is more recent, so why revive this one? Well, two reasons. Reason one: this topic was mentioned by Nocturnus in the other topic, and as no one has mentioned  this one, yet, I would like to take the liberty to do so. So, why not just post a link to this topic in the other topic? That brings me to reason two for reviving this one. Convenience. Just as it might be more hassle to check the dates for topics, it is still troublesome to keep two copies of the  forum to keep track of two topics. I realize that this argument really isn't all that  good, so my apologies for it, but perhaps it might inspire the rest of you. Again, I hope this isn't too troublesome.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2019-12-29 18:17:07

Well done, @Jaseoffire. As a sidenote, I willingly accept I made mention of this particular topic and intended to try and track it down, but much has gotten in the way of me doing so, thus I'm glad someone else did it.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2019-12-29 18:28:26

Glad to be of service. You know, looking at all of this, it is nice having all related points and evidence on at least one page again. LOL!!!

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2019-12-29 20:11:38

I'd say it is, yes.  Now if we can just avoid all the negative kneejerk reactions...

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2019-12-30 09:59:25

I totaly disagree to topics should locked after a time!

2019-12-30 17:33:53

I loveit