2019-04-17 13:27:24

Hey there friends,

I'm currently implementing a NVDA/JAWS interface for my accessibility engine and I was wondering if it was okay to use them in an open source project.

I found it from a TTS engine I found on Github that I was modifying and it didn't contain any information about the licenses.

Here's the libs I'm talking about:

nvdaControllerClient32.dll
nvdaControllerClient64.dll
FSAPI.dll

I couldn't find much information on line about these libs and I was wondering if it was okay to distribute them with my software. I'm assuming its okay but just wanted to double check.

Thanks everyone smile

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2019-04-17 14:04:30

Hi.
For nvda's dlls here is one of the source files from those dlls https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/m … client.cpp
In short:
"This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License version 2.1, as published by
the Free Software Foundation."

I know the jaws dll (FSAPI.dll) has another license but still allows it to be distributted, I'll post again if I find it.
Hope this helps smile
NicklasMCHD

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2019-04-17 14:05:37

These are publically available and are nessisary to distribute along with games that require the libs for tts.
I think you are also required to distribute the nvdaUserClientLicense.txt file, witch I wil give to you later.
This can be found in the bgt repo folder.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-04-17 15:05:57

or @Redfox, the license can literally be found anywhere else on the internet.

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2019-04-17 15:45:11

yes, but that was the only place I specifically knew where it was.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-04-18 02:05:49

I'm not seeing any documentation on FSAPI.dll, for now I'll just add NVDA support, if anyone has any documentation on how to add JAWS for just reading and stopping strings let me know, thanks

2019-04-18 02:45:41

You can find the link and info about the NVDA controller client on their github [here] under Key Project Links: NVDA Controller Client, just above the developer guide. Hard to find much on FSAPI.DLL, but it seems to be a controller [Universal Speech] uses for Jaws. Considering both Jaws and NVDA are windows only based programs, you might as well use [Tolk], which supports most windows based screen readers. Unfortunately there's been a bit of a snafu with the latest builds, I have an earlier copy if you like, or you can also just grab a test archive I have for all the 32 bit binaries off my repo [here].

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2019-04-18 13:29:32

I wanted to develop my own solution so that the code could be open source.

I'll look into JAWS later, NVDA is working so that's awesome. (finally my games will have NVDA support lol!)