2019-03-16 14:03:22

@BenF, that is an amazing achievement! And a great read on how you pulled that off. It's really weird for me to learn how people play the game in ways I hadn't anticipated; and also a bit of a relief that it all works, and doesn't crash, haha.

Lol @imaginingstuff

Thanks @EternalGamer!

Developer of text-based roguelike Path of Adventure.
Get it on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … fadventure
Download from the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/app/path-of-ad … 1449457468

2019-03-16 17:06:30

I actually had a cloak of camouflage, some speed mushrooms, and an unbroken totem of the eagle. I fought the giant as a Rogue and I ended up with a 90% dodge chance. Then I almost died because I splurged, forgetting that  he would flee.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-03-16 18:42:00

That moment where you're 1 hp away from death, have 3 healing potions saved up as well as an elixir, ready to use before the last sub-boss fight.  Only to feel dumbfounded when dying, failing to realise you've clearly been poisoned but evidently didn't notice. tongue

2019-03-16 19:06:28

Oh my goodness that's just epic. Kind of an achievement in itself.
I'm running a mage right now, and wondering: How often, after casting a spell, does the ring of mana actually prevent my opponent from attacking me? I don't even need to cast more spells for that effect to last?
@Keeweed you just got a big fat 5 stars review on the App Store with the best praise text I could come up with.
Best,
E G

In the hands of a gamer, word becomes weapon, argument becomes shield, and life becomes a quest.

2019-03-16 19:13:08

@ imagining stuff, - ya, you could easily get enough to buy another healing potion, maybe get a key to go with it if you throw in some magic mushrooms lol  I think that telling what the curse is would definitely be too powerful for the gnome, at most I'd suggest just letting you know there would be something, - maybe curse, maybe enchantment, but I see the value in leaving that alone as well. I just imagine wasting a lot of scrolls on normal weapons that have neither a curse nor an enchantment.

@ business monkey, the trickiest part of the one round kill is that when the mob loses about 1/3 of life it triggers fleeing. so you need a way to deal 2/3 of damage inn about 2 hits. - if you time it you could get the life down about 25% and then take out the remaining 75% in two attacks. like the basilisk tube might take out 30+ points depending on your attack and mobs defence.

Without the choice of when to use the magic staff it is very difficult to keep it from breaking before the end of the game. I'm hoping in a new version to be able to take the staff down to breaking and then not use it, instead I'd be letting the cost of casting spells increase, while I hope to find a sharpening stone. In a few games I found a stone after the staff was already broken.

btw, I lost count of how many times I started a mage campaign before I was successful at the first round victory, but just letting you know, it wasn't the first time and it sure wasn't easy.

Also, I just checked out King of dragon Path, and six ages, but noticed they are $14 each. I'm just wondering if they're really worth that much. This game was a great deal at around $3

2019-03-16 19:24:03

@ Mitch,

The way the ring of magic works is this - When you cast a spell the ring will flash, then you can choose a second action. If you cast another spell the ring will flash again and you will be able to choose a third action, if you cast a third spell the ring will flash and you will be able to choose a fourth action.

As long as you are casting spells you will be able to hold off the enemy indefinitely. As you can read in my earlier account, I was able to cast 15 spells in a row.

As soon as you take another action, like attacking the enemy or using an item then the ring will not flash, because you did not cast a spell. So, if you cast a spell at the enemy and then you attack the enemy the enemy will then be able to attack you.

So, if in the first round you cast slime at an enemy, the ring will flash and you will get a second action. If you then choose attack you have successfully lowered the enemy's speed and dealt damage, before needing to defend the enemy's attack.

The enemy will be able to attack you if you choose to attack or use an item. You cannot cast one spell at the beginning of the battle, and be immune from attack for the rest of the fight.

happy questing.

2019-03-16 19:39:26

@Benf but that's what I'm noticing. I cast a love spell, for example, at the beginning of the fight and can then struggle down the enemy with bare hands without any counter-attack.
Best,
E G

In the hands of a gamer, word becomes weapon, argument becomes shield, and life becomes a quest.

2019-03-16 19:51:50

I think he accidentally copied an earlier ⠏⠕⠌⠲

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-03-16 20:03:57

No, - my bad, I didn't realize eternal gamer is the screen name and business monkey is the status, sry about that, so - @ eternal gamer, the reason you're immune is because the spell you are casting is the love spell. It's a great one to use, especially if you have a hat or a pipe. I've had great successes by lowering the attack right down to zero, or at least below my defence score, keep in mind the +2 for the buckler won't show up in your stats, then once attack has been dropped I can take my time whittling the enemy away even bare handed, but as a mage you'll need to get some attack pluses happening for that to work.

2019-03-16 20:07:26

Ah I get it. So for a spell with lasting effects, immunity will also last, according to the alchemical law of conservation of magick.

2019-03-17 05:53:55

yes, and for clarification, once the enemy has a lower attack, it will stay down for the rest of the fight. the spells don't really wear off. they last the whole battle. the wording is just a little confusing because I think that Keeweed didn't want to have people thinking that if they increased their speed with a mushroom that it would be for the rest of the game, or if you get hit by a sorcerer spell, it is "temporary" in the sense that after the battle your stats return to normal. There is a legend in the inventory screen, but still not immediately clear, not to hard to figure out with a bit of gameplay though.

2019-03-17 17:55:08

@EternalGamer, you're right about the Ring of Mana, I broke it in the 3.2 release. It now holds off the enemy whatever you do, not just when casting spells. I'm fixing it now and will release a patch soon. That said... if anybody was struggling to finish on Mage, now's your chance wink

Something else, I've been receiving complaints from people saying they finished the game but didn't get the next character unlocked. I can't reproduce it here myself. Did any of you guys experienced something like this?

Download from the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/app/path-of-ad … 1449457468

2019-03-17 22:20:16

Happens to the best of us. So I've just invented a new bug type for my computer science textbook: The octarine flag.
And now please excuse me while I run that mage to completion while it lasts. wink

2019-03-18 11:11:41

Oh man, that is so broken. I unlocked mage before this break, so can't help u there, but if anyone is trying to unlock mage and this break is preventing them, that might be good. just finished a run through with broken mage ring, ended with new high score of 727, first time I ever sold an elixir wink

2019-03-18 13:48:09

Haha, you do that, EG wink

The patch is released on Android and sent to Apple for review, so should be on iOS soon.

2019-03-25 23:13:38

maybe soon, my new totally broken high score for the mage is now 2,016, ya, the secret is certainly selling those elixirs.

2019-03-29 00:14:48

Hi Keeweed and all,

Glad to see the new version is out and on the apple now. No more supermages. I’ve been playing around and have a few observations and comments.

The spiderwebs seem to be taking less treasure. I thought I remembered them taking 50%. But now it seems more like a percentage between 25 and 35

I’m not complaining, just seeking clarity.

I have certainly noticed a lot about how fleeing changes the game dynamics.
Fleeing currently increases the difficulty of thief mode considerably. With the other characters it wasn’t as big a difference, but when finishing the theif in the older version, I upped my speed a lot and ran like hell from a few things.
Rules for fleeing should apply to monsters, i.e. they should not be able to dodge your attack, but their defensive score should be subtracted from the damage dealt.

You should also gain the benefit of your defensive score, and that should be increased by 2 if carrying a buckler, i.e. you should suffer damage as though taking a hit, with no chance to dodge. If you wanted to eliminate the fleing. Which is pretty fair, I’ve seen it in a lot of games, but not having the defensive bonus either is a real double whammy.

I do like the option to sacrifice treasure on the path to avoid an encounter. I was thinking maybe you could do something similar for when in dungeons. I understand why it is currently not there, and I don’t think you should be allowed to evade a monster, and still collect the treasure at the end of the dungeon. Perhaps you could have the leave dungeon option. So, if you encounter something you cannot kill, rather than engaging it and having to flee, you could click the leave dungeon button. You could even put in some script that would be truly hilarious:

“As you sit catching your breath, you encounter a fellow traveler. You say ‘There’s supposed to be a knuckle duster in there, but I couldn’t find it. All I found were monsters and traps. You’re welcome to it.”

However, if you do engage the monster and then flee, you could progress through the dungeon. I think this makes a lot of sense, because the first option would be like turning around and running for your life; whereas, engaging the monster and then fleeing would be like running past the monster, giving it the chance to strike and giving up the dungeon treasure would be like sacrificing treasure while on the path. It still makes fleeing a pretty costly endeavor, but it might bring some balance into the game.

Also, if you lose initiative on the first round, i.e. you are attacked, then you should get 2 exp no matter if you kill in the first attack or not. For instance, currently if you win initiative and attack, then are attacked and kill the monster in the second hit you would get 2 exp and only be attacked once.
Whereas, if you lose initiative and are attacked once, you will only get 1 exp for the fight. It just
doesn’t seem fair.

You should be able to cast attack spells in the snake tunnels. Using a couple of lightning spells here would sure be  a good way to deal with those pesky things.

Lastly, the road is long and lonely without the gnome. The theif has the hardest job of all. Some company would sure be nice, and I don’t think it would make theif too easy. Truth to tell, the gnome is of fairly little value. I almost always take what he reveals anyway.

2019-03-30 18:35:11

Hi Ben, thanks for all the feedback.

About fleeing, I think you're right and I've actually already turned it back to what it was, in the next update. It's weird that monsters would have different fleeing rules applied than the character, so yeah, my bad. Glad you like the escape option on the path. I'm redesigning the ruins now and there I will also give the player a bit more control about fighting monsters or not. Only not as much as on the path. For dungeons, that's an interesting thought! I like the idea you could turn back and run out of the dungeon. Just like with traps. Only, on the way back you wouldn't have that luxury, which is acceptable, I think. Will see if I can add that in the next update!

About the initiative and xp, I get your point and it's a bit unfair indeed. Still, the big xp reward is a way to stimulate players to act inventive and not just wack at monsters as hard as they can. I think I'll leave that the way it is.

You're right also about the spells! I've been thinking about that, but actually it's technically a bit of a challenge, and I thought as long as nobody mentions it, it's not that important. So thanks for ruining that excuse, haha wink

Something else, I'm thinking about removing the trial/premium model and put back the resurrect purchases. The resurrects can be bought as small packages, so it won't be 1 for a dollar, but 2 or 3. I think it's better if everybody could play the game until the end and decide for themselves if they want to invest in the game or not, and how much. I'm not sure what that's going to do to my cashflow, but honestly that's not much of late, anyway, haha. I'm interested in what you guys would think of that.

2019-04-05 16:13:21

I really enjoy this game and would like that feature to come back.
A

2019-04-15 17:52:35

New update released to beta!
- Complete ruins overhaul
- Improved item distribution
- New trap, items and mushrooms
- Many more tweaks and fixes

For those that want to beta test the game, you can enter the beta program for both iOS and Android, following these links:
- iOS beta here
- Android beta here

If nothing comes up, the new version should be live within a couple of days. Also, the resurrection of the resurrection feature is not part of this update. I'm still not 100% sure if it's a good idea.

2019-04-16 05:58:09

Wow! Totally digging the new content! As for my opinion on the resurrection of the resurrection purchase, we live in a time where a lot of debs feel like forced p2w is the way to go, but I never got that feeling from playing this game. Still, because other games use that model, some of the negative feelings generated by it get rubbed off on games like this one, especially from players who lack the patience to learn the intricacy of its nature and blame their inability to win on a non-existent pay requirement to win. I say that if you do decide to bring resurrections back, put a disclaimer somewhere in the description that makes its purpose clear. I've seen a lot more costlier games take less flack than this one for implementing a similar feature.

Keep up the excellent work.

2019-04-16 13:33:27

Thanks Kenshira! And cheers for sharing your opinion. It's exactly how I feel about the issue, and why I'm so reluctant.

2019-04-16 16:11:39

Hi Keeweed,

Will downloading the beta version actually destroy the old ap data, or is that just the disclaimer. I haven't used testflight before.

I think pixi dust or something like that would be an interesting purchase, I never used the option myself, but I can see some situations where an unfortunate death could be undone, but I'm not exactly sure how you'd go about that. - would it be just like a really expensive heal potion restoring you to full health, and curing poisin in the exact same situation, i.e. still fighting a specific monster? or if killed by a trap, then alive but on the other side of the trap now? Also, if in mid battle, will the mob be restored to pre battle stats, or will it have the previous wounds. Like if you reduce the monster to 2 life and then die, the pixie dust restores you but the monster still has 2 life.

I agree with Kenshira, there has to be some way of signifying to the players when wasting pixie dust would be a bad idea, some adventures just aren't worth pursueing. Somehow let them know they don't need to resurrect to get through the game, but also there is a death element. I've died countless times, but still beat all levels, in both the old version and more recent.

Also, to let all players out there know, the 1 round beat on the end mod is possible with the warrior class. It just takes timing. I fought the Hydra, used the slime spell, took it down to 72 life with one hit of the Flail of Doom, Then knowing I had the charged hit as my next attack, hit it for 62 Damage with the Basalisk tube. Then as it was fleeing I landed the death blow with the Flail of Doom.

There's a few combos that could work here, but you will need to use the basalisk tube on a charged hit, and don't make that the first hit, or you won't be able to knock it out before it flees.

2019-04-16 16:24:08

I think the little message should go something like this:
Death: "i can't just let everyone live. people have beaten this game before."
Story: "How about a deal?"
"i could resurrect them, but at a price. but don't come crying to me because the game is hard! people have beaten it."
Something like ⠞⠲

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-04-16 16:45:10

I still had my data when I updated to beta. Btw I got no errors while playing through. Just be finished with a run before updating as many things have changed.