2019-04-16 00:53:31

Hi guys,

So I've been testing out this new scoreboard system I've written. The way that it works is there is a main scoreboard server. You create accounts on this server, and use them to manage your games and create and manage scoreboards.

You have an unlimited amount of scoreboards per account, with an unlimited amount of scores. Implementing this into your game is a snap, and an example is included! No hosting on your part is required. The system is basic, however if all you want is to be able to post scores, we got you!

http://masonasons.me/softs/ScoreboardSystem.zip

Follow on twitter! @masonasons_me
Thanks, enjoy, thumbs up, share, like, hate, exist, do what ya do,
my website: masonasons.me
If this post is of any use, why not thumb it up?

2019-04-16 02:56:12

I’ve been messing with this for a few days now, and already integrated it into the new minefield concept demo. Seems good so far, just hope the server stays active.

2019-04-16 02:58:55

It should do, it's been active for a while now

2019-04-16 07:33:33

why do you say bgt users?  This API could easily be implemented in any other language. By placing bgt on the subject, less people are going to read it. Just saying.

Thumbs up

2019-04-16 07:40:02

Amazing. Can it be used in other languages than BGT? Python for example?

Best regards SLJ.
If you like the post, then please give it a thumps up.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Happy gaming... :D

2019-04-16 14:32:01

Yes. I am a bit wherry that it doesn't support or enforce SSL/TLS though. (And no, please, don't give me the nonsense that "oh, my website doesn't contain any sensitive information!" Just because your site doesn't send, receive, process, allow people to enter, etc., sensitive information via API calls, login forms and so on, does in no way mean that you suddenly don't need HTTPS. That should be obvious to everyone... and if you give me the "It works over HTTP just fine" argument, I'll say, "That's what Oil and Gas International thought, too. Until browsers started flagging HTTP pages as insecure.) If you do want to maintain BGT compatibility, offer an HTTPS interface too. It will literally take you 30 seconds to do. (Well, OK, maybe a minute.)

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.

Thumbs up

2019-04-16 16:45:09

So I think there's something people are overlooking here, which I don't blame them for. When you see scoreboard, you assume HTTP. What you don't realize is that this scoreboard uses the BGT networking capabilities, so HTTPS is meaningless here. That being said there is no encryption at all so the point is still valid to an extent

Sincerely,
Lucas.

Thumbs up

2019-04-16 17:44:24

@7, true. I know it doesn't use HTTP itself but it would be easily doable in Python/flask, or a number of other REST API frameworks that make designing REST APIs trivial. The fact that it uses BGT's networking module is worrying, since making that interface with other languages will be difficult if ENet is not available for that language, or the latest version of ENet and the servers version of ENet happen to be incompatible for some reason.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.

Thumbs up

2019-04-18 05:25:50

Hi,
Just an idea, but I think an option to change extra things like how many entrys are shown when getting a list of scores in a particular game would be nice, so you're not just stuck with top 10 or whatever it is now. If it's limitless, maybe adding an option to add a limit of scores for a game could be good as well?

2019-04-18 05:26:42

@cmerry Oh yeah, I was going to do that, thanks for the reminder.

2019-04-18 05:58:35

I'm proud to announce that I've just added 2 of the most asked for features to scoreboard, the ability to limit the amount of scores returned, and an item for additional data. Older versions of scoreboard.bgt and the panel still should work. http://masonasons.me/softs/ScoreboardSystem.zip