2019-04-15 11:14:39

Hello,

I currently use an iPhone since 2010 (iPhone 4). Last year I bought an iPhone XS and I am very happy with it.

But now at the company I currently work everyone can get a smartphone. I have three options: iphone 8, Samsung Galaxy S9 and Huawei Mate 20. I want to choose one of the last two. My question is: Waht is the best for a blind user:
- Best screenreader
- Most accessible
- Most updates

Is it difficult to switch from iPhone to Android at this time. 5 years I bought an Nexus 7 tablet and I found that Talkback was less good than Voice-over. Does things changed in 5 years?

Thanks
regards

2019-04-15 11:59:35 (edited by Nepali gamer 2019-04-15 12:08:29)

yes in fact things are quite change in Android's  talkback before 5 year.
I-phone is most accessable phone for blind and Android has also that kind of capacity. if you wanna use android phone then my recommendation is that you could go for Samsung phone, It is very accessible in   comparison to other android .

Thanks and regards.
Madhusudan
Visit my youtube channel to dive into accessible tech tutorial.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvVJNv … 9wXunGvl9A

2019-04-15 17:57:56

i'm using samsung galaxy s6edge at the moment, and i'm happy with it. Well android is best for me.

Yours kindly

2019-04-15 18:31:30

The assistant screen reader on Samsung devices is so annoying, be prepared to use Talkback if you are on a samsung.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-15 18:40:11

I never had a huawei phone, so I dont know how good they are, but I use Samsung since 2012, galaxy s advance or s2 lite and I am happy with android.
I have also used Nokia which are good, but you asked between Samsung and Huawei, so from my experience, Samsung is good and nice, it is on android pie and will get the q.
Huawei are good at updates from what I have herd, but you will have to see what swits best your needs.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2019-04-15 19:00:56

@4, why is voice assistant annoying... lol. I use it as my daily driver and I know a lot of others who do.

Discord: clemchowder633

2019-04-15 20:46:36

Seriously. @4 Just because you find something annoying doesn't mean everyone else will. Voice Assistant is my daily driver as well and I seem to be doing just fine. For context, I used to be on iOS until a month ago, but I'm absolutely loving my Galaxy S9.

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.
"Cause in a game of life or death, you either live, or you die."
"Wake the fuck up, samurai. We have a city to burn."

2019-04-15 20:51:15

Why is it annoying, first off because it makes the touch screen less accurate and less responsive. The gestures work about a third of the time, there is a set speed at which double taps will be recognized (too fast, no go, too slow, no go). You spend most of your time trying to navigate the phone because nothing you do works the first time, so you have to try double tapping like five times on one item to get it to register. You have none of that with TalkBack. Overall, TB is much faster and snappy, there is no loss of touch screen accuracy or responsiveness, and you can double tap at many different speeds, you don't have to be like goldy lox and find what's just right for it. It also has tons more features.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-15 21:58:08

That is definitely a subjective experience. I've never experienced the issues you apparently have found. And talkback has more bells and whistles, but nothing that I can't do without... VA is plenty snappy on my galaxy s10, and I definitely don't have any loss of screen accuracy.

2019-04-15 22:21:26

Best Android phone for the blind? Pixel2 or Pixel3, no doubt.

2019-04-15 23:00:07

I'd venture to say that there is no best android phone for blind eople. The wonderful thing about Android is the ability to make anyone phone accessible regardles of the company it's made by, because stock apps can be replaced by others, if not actually removed. Samsung and Google are the most obvious choices, but the speaker is wondering between Samsung and Huawei... and I can't speak to Huawei since I have never used any of their phones. But other blind people have said good things about them.

2019-04-16 04:13:17

I'd recommend the Samsung phone, Voice Assistant blows TalkBack way out of the water.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2019-04-16 18:49:04

can any one guide me as to how to flash voice assistant on to a galaxy note 4 running droid v6.0. or if possible. is it advisable to flash it to droid v9? basically i love my finger print reader to continue to work. i've played with the idea to custome flash. but I always ran in to some issues. so i stayed at stock v6.0. any help would be gladly appreciated

There's a place for me in this universe.

2019-04-17 00:59:03

Voice Assistant I believe is s5 and up.
And to be clear, Voice Assistant probably blows Talkback out of the water (for devices that don't run at least Oreo, or lack a gesture-based fingerprint sensor).
Talkback has a roter now with the help of the gesture based fingerprint reader. Brailleback is even getting better. It's time to ride Google's hardware-exclusivity train, as this is believe it or not helping Android. No more custom skins. Updates right when they're available. Although, admittedly Google has a bit more work on international attention for their hardware, but their next phones, the Pixel3A and Pixel3AXL, will be budget-friendly, clocking in at $450 or there-abouts, with actually decent specs, the same stellar camera from their flagships, and, they're actually considering bringing back the headphone jack on these models due to the failed experiment that was USBC audio.

2019-04-17 01:09:00

What's the fingerprint sensor have to do with it. I'm not a regular Android user so I've never used a phone that had one. Also, I'm just... shocked how people can say voice assistant blows talkback out of the water, just... wow. Man the thing works about as well as my refurbished LG VX3200 back in the day, in other words, glitchy as fuck. The times I used it, was not on my phone, but someone else's. I had to stop myself from chucking the damn thing or snapping it in half because it pissed me off so much. I've since used it oh, half a dozen times or so, now I use it enough just to turn talk back on, but even just to do that, just to get into settings > accessibility > talkback under services and flip it on is like a 2 or 3 minute process under voice assistant. Man the thing sucks so hard.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-17 01:17:55

Brandon:
On a gesture-based sensor, that being nexus6p onward for sure, Talkback can be configured to adjust what up and down vertical swipe gestures on screen do. So, in a roter sense, swiping up or down on the fingerprint sensor moves between control settings, right now you have navigation, speech rate, verbosity, and audioducking. Swiping up and down on screen will either adjust the setting you are changing in the place of speech rate and such, or if under the navigation control, will change your left-right swipes between characters/words/controls/what have you like it always has. IT mitigates the need to visit talkback settings/tts output to adjust a lot of settings you may want to more easily adjust.

2019-04-17 06:01:42

All I can say about VA's responsiveness is that your issues are dependent on the device, or the way you personally interact with the screen. That's not meant as an offensive comment, but those are all the things I can thnk of since all the people I know who have galaxy phones use the thing and have no issues with it. Of course, the choice of VA and TB is what makes it awesome.. and there are plenty of happy people in both camps and some, like me, who switch between the two.