2019-04-15 04:38:40

Hi there!
So I was sitting in my self-proclaimed leather chair of awesomeness, I know, catchy title, when I thought. "I want to do something. I want to do something that helps, and that is impactful. Sure I make games, and sure I make software, but how, actually, useful are they."
So I sat back and I thought, okay Nate, so you want to help people and become a pillar for problem solving.
What problems are there?
And I officially, got, stuck.
So I thought, why not ask?
What problems do you, as a visually impaired person, have, with technology.
Is there a piece of software, a game, or something else, that you personally find difficult?
Is there a program you wish existed that didn't?
A social media platform that died and you wish it hadn't?
I'm asking this, admittedly, for my own benefit. I have a hankering to solve some problems, and I'd love to hear yours and help.
If you don't feel comfortable writing your problem publicly, you can contact me here, on the forum, or through my website in the signature.
to clarify, I will continue on with my normal game and software development, I just want to take this opportunity to make a difference, for you. To make an impact.
Thanks for reading!

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-04-15 06:15:52

hello
first things first
I have hard time using facebook in a brouser; and that's really bad for me to brous all the links; adds; klickibles; text fields and mor
I wish there's a best program that will conver music in to there 8 bit/n e s form; and there's a way to edit there notes and instraments, it will be hard to kode; but you can do it better than any other nch programs; so; could you please mind do that?
have a nice day nathan

my new youtube channel. click subscribe if you like my stuff
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzL-l8 … YCkjOm3FIg

2019-04-15 10:13:36

In terms of technology, I struggle with finding a dedicated audiobook player.

2019-04-15 12:41:50

Hi Afrim,
Your problewm may already be resolved!
Calliope was designed to play ogg files, mp3's and more, but with a specific eye towards audio books.
http://nathantech.net/nathantechsoftware.php

HTH

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-04-15 14:35:52

Hey there sir. Recently I've been looking for a good ebook reader. I know I may be missing a good one somewhere, the majority of the software I've tryed wont allow me to navigate within the text or even use screenreader, which I'm far more confortable with.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2019-04-15 15:32:24

Hi Dardar!
What about creating a tool which allows to easyly create lua-scripts to make GB-GBA-NES-SNES-roms accessible?
There are a lot of available sourcecodes for games like Final fantasy 6, Chronocross, Secret of Mana 2 and others.
But for example i dont know how to code in lua. So you could write a program which make it easy to observe offsets, or link sounds to other offsethappenings.

This is only a short brainstorming. But it could be interesting.

2019-04-15 15:38:38

Speaking of Lua, there's a lot of  things I want to do with Mush Z, but I can't cause I don't know lua.
Do you think it would be possible to make a program to create lua sscripts of simple and common things that you can do to mush? Like making sounds for skills that don't have sounds for Alter Aeon, for example.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-04-15 16:42:32

Hmmm, interesting question.

Okay first off, I completely agree with mongoo_4044. Facebook is a pain in the arse, but we're at the stage now where it is so ubiquitous there isn't a way to not use it.
A simple tool to give it a more logical web interface, get rid of all the crap and the "Is bob your friend" and "susan has just eaten her breakfast" type of messages and let you navigate to the content you want would be great.

I would also like a better way of dealing with Vlc media player's settings. Everytime I watch a dvd I have to alter the volume, I am also not entirely happy with  brightness either, but neither NvdA nor Supernova interacts well with the program's preferences, though the menus are okay. A way to edit player settings in a standard windows fashion would rock.

I'm also looking for some Iphone tools such as a good quality satnav and ocr scanner for signs and documents, though I know there are several of these around already and I just need to try them out to find one that works.

That's what occurs to me now, but if I think of anything else I'll let you know.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-04-15 16:43:44

I want a game that makes use of AI to generate completely new challenges every day, so that you keep coming back to play. Everything in the game would be generated by the most advanced AI in the world. I have other projects ATM so I can't make this yet so maybe someone else can do it, but I will require at least 20% of the profit since I gave you the idea. The next step is to make brain implants that make you think you are actually in the game.

2019-04-16 19:11:51

3 things here. it would be super nice to get a desant .exe installer extractor. that can scan the setup file. and if .MSI files with in that installer is found. extract them and give meaningful understandable files. it helps to track down some files needed on older systems. with out installing the garbage that is included in the setup file. for example.  windows live mail v12.0 can be installed with out alot of uneeded files. but to find the right ones is a pain.
second thing. some sort of calender.
that has different modes. the first is called reminder mode.
now in my job I have to schedule services. some are monthly, or 2 monthly or even 3 monthly.
it would be nice to have a list view on the one side showing all the services created thus far. tabbing, wil show you the edet field with the info for that service date.
now if this app can run quietly and every day that something is due. remind you a day before. by showing notifications until you tell it that the service is done. by ticking a check box.
it can then ask you if you want to delete, or reschedule. or even move forward that service. if it can also be relationship aware, this would be nice.
for example.
say johsn service is tomorrow.
sandy is also due tomorrow.
now if u tell it from the start to for relationship with sandy and john.
if you change any thing on 1 particular service for that day. it can ask you if u want to update the rest of that services for that day. with out you having to do it manually.

the third thing.
is something more difficult.
I have a huge huge storage space with lots and lots of files.
I wish there was a small little tool whose sole function it was to slowly, and quietly read through that drives. to insure they stay fresh and that data integrity is not compromised. at the same time keeping a eye on drive health.

for example.
the first time it runs. it creates a hash table of how files are.
its my job to insure the files are okay for this to work.
now. every time there on, it must go through them all. and if there's issues with the files. tell me about it.
its not stuff i edit often so I don't expect issues.
the basics like pause and resume should be there.
it would be nice to allow to choose what speed it can go at. for example.
super slow. 100 KBPS crawl speed.
reasons for this to long to explain here.
but has to do with drive controler,
auto decide.
this wil go fast speed, but stil reserve bandwith for other apps to utelise USB interface if needed.
if heavy utelisation is detected, it wil slow down dramatically for tasks to finnish on said drives. before resuming again.
if at any time drive reports s.m.a.r.t. errors. and bad sectors on drive is found. it should also alert user.
just my few small things, for now

There's a place for me in this universe.

2019-04-17 03:12:21

hi!
I think we need to go to face book rather than using google crome or something crappy on it, insted; we should use a app that emulates browsers with easy interface and accessible to the blind, so; you can easy brous all the buttans, o and one thing is you can eeven make the facebook games; where the games in profiles; accessible, that will be cool, so, i'l let you no guys if there's something up; lol

2019-04-17 06:45:11

Hello,
I wish a tool like QRead existed for free. I am yet to find a program which let's me read PDF/daisy/epub and dozen of formats and provides intuitive navigation.
Regards,
Amit

There once was a moviestar icon.
Who prefered to sleep with the light on.
They learnt how to code, devices sure glowed,
and lit the night using python.

2019-04-17 07:04:39

agreed smilyface
those programs are good as well

2019-04-17 15:05:21 (edited by john_weed 2019-04-17 15:08:31)

Hi all.
@ the guys that are searching a thing to read epub, pdf and such. Why don't you use DSpeech? yeah, it's actually for making tts dialogues, but I also read lots of books with it. Be aware though, that you need to delete all .tab files within the folder and configure DSpeech so it doesn't maintain the pdf layout, for a better reading.
Also, it doesn't have an OCR, so it won't read images. But it's great when reading text because it even has automatic bookmarks, load recent file menu thingies, etc. I love it.

@ dark. Try using the object navigation and the arrow keys to throw the vlc's volume up or down, as you like. The object navigator on NVDA (I don't know if you guys call it that in english because I'm too lazy to go and read the exact name but that's the literal translation from spanish to english) reads the percentage, the progress of the media you're listening to, and some more fancy info. It's nice.

@ all the guys who are struggling with facebook. Have you guys tried Miranda NG? it's nice, but it's only for chat and publishing stuff into your wall. Also, there's m.facebook.com or mbasic.facebook.com, for mobile devices, but it's pretty accessible and you can read realtime notifications. Sure, you have to press the update link to... uh... update? the chat window, but it's 99% accessible in it's thing.

@ dardar. Nice question, huh? I'm actually struggling with things to have me entertained. Nowadays, most audiogames got me bored (I haven't tried yours yet except the sunrise waterfall thing but it's not an audiogame so don't take it personal) and basically that. I like noise making stuff and I had an idea that would be great. What about porting grezzo to the blind and visually impaired people?
Grezzo is a game where your goal is to survive. It's 3d and there are a lot of enemies varying from sheeps to... ghosts? demons? even mythical creatures such as dragons. There are actually lots of enemies and weaponry you can use. The story mode is not worthy, at least that's what my cousin said, but the free mode where you can destroy whatever you want in a complete and totally randomized map indeed rocks. I'd be sincerely thankful to you if you can port this thing. Also I can help with music and sounds, also sound editing, I have plenty of them and I would love to collaborate in the thing.

edit: damn, I got to edit the post because I had a freaking lot of spelling errors and I hate to have them lol.
Take care.
Mike.

Take care.
Mike.

I don't play games as much as I wish, but you can know that it's me if there's a John Weed over there. Ha ha!

2019-04-18 05:22:35

o' the crappy dspeech

2019-04-18 12:53:51

Hi.
It's not crappy, not if you update it. If you stick with the 1.33 something version, sure it'll be, it was coded in pascal or something like that lol.
Take care.
Mike.

Take care.
Mike.

I don't play games as much as I wish, but you can know that it's me if there's a John Weed over there. Ha ha!

2019-04-24 02:10:03

Hi there!
So I think, from this, I have a facebook access client of some kind, and a podcast reader.
Right?

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-04-24 11:28:02

A facebook access client would be great. God I get so sick of everyone wittering about how this that and the other is on facebook and assuming everyone has the thing, when I go on their and find their interface a crappy mess full of alerts like "do you know Jim", or "jane has just had her breakfast"

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-04-24 16:29:33

wow!, majority have already said what I want to say,
thx,
I would love to see facebook chlient,

allow me to speak more,
catch me on Twitter
or, Mastodon