2019-04-11 09:02:07

Okay, I know this is sort of a silly question to ask, TDV being open-source, but I don't really know enough about C# to make my own cheats. Has anyone succeeded in cheating in TDV? Failing that, has anyone made a save file editor? Here are some things such a utility might do:

1. Top off your fuel tank.

2. Fully repair your plane.

3. Teleport any missiles headed your way to some random destination, then make them go Boom.

4. Look for any aircraft or ground stations who want you dead, and point them to a much more interesting band of forum spammers who need to get destroyed instead.

2019-04-15 00:30:42

The first two can easily be done by changing some variables in the Aircraft.cs file if my memory is correct (been a while since I've looked at it.)

Simply implement code on a key press that will perform this line of code:

m_fuelWeight = m_maxFuelWeight;

For damage, there's already a method in Aircraft.cs to do this, you just need to activate it on a key press:

restoreDamage(0);

2019-04-15 00:48:59

I thought about making my own custom client/server, I have the code, looking through, not too difficult to see what's going on at any particular point, but I suck at coding and concepts like how ties things together I'm not great at. But I thought to add a admin command that just blows everyone up with farts or something stupid like that.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-15 01:46:11

I would start out with something simpler if coding isn't your strong point. Servers, especially ones like the TDV server that are written using no helper libraries and instead use a framework's native TCP support, might be difficult to grasp at first. It's especially true for TDV since I use streams to process data as opposed to more human-friendly options such as string parsing. Add to that that server code generally runs in an asynchronous manner, so there needs to be familiarity with multi-threading as well when working in server domains.

So if you're looking to modify the TDV server, read up on the System.Net namespace where the TCP objects are found and also read up on AsyncResult classes and asynchronous programming.

The TDV server uses a command-based approach as I'm sure you've gathered by poking through the code, and off the top of my head it would be best it seems to simply implement a new command in the server code that you can send to destroy all aircraft in a game. You most likely don't need to bother with the low level details of the server to do this. It actually sounds like a fun endeavor smile and good for you for wanting to dive head-first into it.

Hint: the commands the server understands are in CSCommon.cs. (for client-server Common.)

2019-04-15 03:01:19

I've been wondering if it would be possible to run the TDV server on Linux under Mono or similar? Too bad it doesn't accept admin commands over a TCP port to which you could connect via Telnet or a mud client.

Also, where's the fun of just blowing everyone sky high out of the blue? Why not have a command that sends out loads and lots of missiles, spawns random fighters, etc. In other words, give the puny little players what seems like a chance, when in fact you are the almighty server admin and it is your wish that they be utterly destroyed!

2019-04-15 14:51:49

Yes, you can run it under Mono. I was doing this when TDV was commercial so know from experience that it runs fine.

2019-04-15 18:24:59

doing same, fine, no issues.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united