2019-04-14 18:19:29

Hi all,
As part of my MPhil degree in Theoretical and Applied linguistics at the University of Cambridge, I am conducting research on how blind and sighted adults understand and interpret language. I am looking for congenitally blind and early blind and sighted adults aged between 18 and 67, who do not have any additional disabilities, and who grew up in an English-speaking country. I am currently finalizing my survey and expect to complete it within a week.  I expect it to take between 40-45 minutes when finished. Participants in the survey will be entered into a draw to win four £25.00 amazon.co.uk gift cards. Anyone who would like to participate in the survey please e-mail me  at my academic address ([email protected]), and I will send out the survey when it is completed.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

Thumbs up

2019-04-14 23:28:30

This sounds interesting. You should post details of the survey more widely though so you get more participants. Also, can't you just post the survey link publicly?

Thumbs up

2019-04-15 00:31:02

Hi,
I tried posting on many groups I am subscribed to. Do you have any suggestions as to where else  I could post?
Also, the reason I do not distribute the link publicly is  that I don't want participants who do not qualify from taking the study.  Additionally, I am using a latin square design, in which I use some of my items in one survey and some in  a second version. As I will personally send the links, I can assure that a more or less equal number of people take  the survey.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

Thumbs up

2019-04-15 01:21:26

Try /r/blind on reddit, just make sure to mention that their is compensation in the title, and that your blind, that should help.

Buy the worlds greatest machine gun. It's about 50 inches in length, It's huge! & it can shoot really far, &, it's cheap!
Lets demonstrate this: stand still Thom...
Okay ma.aaa!
Oh! crap!

Thumbs up

2019-04-15 02:34:25

Thanks Defender, done.

Thumbs up

2019-04-17 03:39:41

Hi All,
I haven't been able to achieve a good number of blind participants in the study. Anyone know where else I can post this?

Thumbs up

2019-04-17 05:30:05

I am willing to join your study if you need me to.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

Thumbs up

2019-04-17 06:12:23

Does your home language need to be english? I'm not sure if by english-speaking country you mean countries where english is mostly the home language, or where it is commonly spoken

Thumbs up

2019-04-17 10:46:13

Will be both. I know a Little of linguistic things btw, but my homeland isn't english speaking so...

Well, just my electronic part, if you need it. If you like my posts, thumbs up to me. I'm just happy for being here! Oh yeah yeah.

Thumbs up

2019-04-17 19:17:53

Hi Jayde,
That would be much appreciated. And to all, the home language isn't important. What is certainly important is that you be born and raised in a country where English is the language and is spoken, e.g the US, the UK, Australia, South Africa etc.

Thumbs up