2019-04-13 13:19:33 (edited by Dragonlee 2019-04-13 13:19:56)

@25 not sure, but you may have misunderstood my thing about maths.

I was asking the distance of the vector from origin e.g. [0,0] in the case of a 2D vector space. So, you have all you need to answer that question. Also I am not sure what you mean by needing orientation to calculate distance.

lastly, I think you may have misunderstood me saying he should be able to solve for x in that simple equation. I wasn't saying he needs to be able to program a system that solves for x in arbitrary equations. that is not necessary for programming a game. I was just saying he needs to understand enough algebra to be able to solve that manually.

2019-04-13 15:38:29 (edited by defender 2019-04-13 15:42:30)

Everything else aside, why did you start such an ambitious project and believe you wouldn't need anything more but the most basic of coding knowledge to do it?
Even if you didn't know the specifics of what would be needed at the time, it's still pretty ridiculous to announce the game months if not years ahead of even beginning coding on it.
Even the whole learn as you go thing never seems to work out that well, because you end up with inefficient, confusing code that makes fixing bugs and updating things later on a huge undertaking.

So as others have said before, start with small things, like you've undoubtedly heard everyone saying on topics in the dev room for months now.

I'm glad you have the passion to create and that your dreaming big (the last thing we need is another mediocre space shooter or side scroller) and who knows what you may come out with a couple years from now, but you may want to do it under a completely new username and a more measured/realistic approach.

2019-04-13 15:58:45

Like the others here, I didn't see the know Vs. no thing. I'm still probably not going to help, but sorry about that particular thing.

2019-04-13 16:16:21

Yeah, you can have long term goals, nothing wrong with that, but you don't come out saying oh we're gonna have this game with a thousand levels and just a few weeks later hey I need people to come work for me because basically I don't know how to code. As everyone said in that topic, it just ain't gonna happen, and look where you are now. So work on smaller things, and learn all this stuff. Do something a bit bigger to refine your knowledge and hopefully learn more. After a few projects, then you might be ready for this game with a thousand levels. So, it's not that the dream is out of reach forever, it's just out of reach for the moment, but you work towards moving to where it's within your grasp.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't stop dreaming, but don't be one of these people who lives adrift in their heads, because I've seen them, they literally never do anything they want to do because they're too busy dreaming all the time. So sure, have long term big plans, that's fine, that's good, it shows you can be creative, just learn right now, while you're still young, how to realize those goals. With something like coding, that's going to come from like I said above, starting out small and working your way up. Also, if you learn how to set both short term and long term goals now, when you go through college or do whatever it is you do after high school, and then enter the work force, you're gonna be all set up to do anything, because you'll know how to look 5 or 10 years down the road and say, by this time, I want X, Y, and Z. But, you'll be able to look 3 months ahead and say, OI I'm moving towards this thing, and I need to take these steps to get there. If you learn that shit, it'll increase your chances of achieving big things in your life.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-13 17:33:23

Ok.
Thank you all for feedback, and I will try and work on thse things.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-04-13 18:41:17 (edited by braille0109 2019-04-13 18:41:42)

warning warning! response coming from a none-programmer!
1) no VS know. Carefully analysing the grammar, everyone would know you must no, as in n o, is not a correct English term. So, even without me looking at that, it was totally obvious to be k n o w.
but then, maybe it's just me.
2) However, getting a co-dev, telling the co-dev what to do, in other words, a form of a do what I tell you... Well good luck finding someone who basically jumps around according to your commands, in something where they're supposedly co-devs. That would worry me in terms of team work and communication.
3) Religiously studying the code, sure, that works, but you'd probably ask for clarification, and at that point, as others have said, the co-dev is then doing most of it. And to then get a one time payment, and do what they're told... Again, I wish I could hope for success, but things just aren't there at the moment. Also, you're looking for, as you've put it, an advanced, or at least a more advanced dev. That's fine, nothing wrong with it. But if you struggle with certain aspects of coding, don't you guys think someone could submit something real advanced, claiming they've written it, and find an explanation online? surely you'd want to understand what has been submited?

2019-04-13 21:06:59 (edited by Ethin 2019-04-13 21:20:13)

@26, apologies, I had not taken into account you meant the origin of [0, 0]. I understand now. And I think you misunderstood my thing about orientation. Orientation is not needed to know the distance of something. However, in most sound libraries, they either place hard restrictions on orientation vectors (i.e. both must be perpendicular to each other) and error if that isn't the case, or they put those restrictions but cause "undefined behavior" when you fail to give them the right orientation. (I've never seen a sound library that does the second, but FMOD definitely does the first, and I think OpenAL does too.)
I do apologize  for the no/know thing, the phrasing was confusing.
@redfox, as I said in 25, start small: try creating mazes. That particular activity is energising because you can toy with the algorithms and create new, interesting things. Then once you've got a maze generator you like written in your game (and yes, write it yourself), add onto it. And build up from there. But start small. Here's a list of algorithms you might want to try:

• Aldous Broder: Starting at an arbitrary location in the grid, move randomly from cell to cell. If moving to a previously unvisited cell, carve a passage to it. End when all cells have been visited. (This one is highly inefficient but is one of the more easier ones.)

• Backtracking generator: Starting at an arbitrary location, perform a random walk, avoiding previously visited cells. When no more moves are possible, backtrack to the most recently visited cell and resume the random walk from there. The algorithm ends when it tries to backtrack from the cell where it started.

• Binary tree: For each cell in the grid, randomly carve either north or east. (I would highly recommend you try this one first; it is by far the simplest and fastest algorithm.)

• Recursive division: Begin with an open grid, with no internal walls. Add a wall that divides the grid in half, with a passage through it linking the two halves. Repeat on each side of the grid, recursively, until no open areas remain.

• Ellers: Consider the grid one row at a time, sequentially. Assign the unvisited cells in the current row to different sets. Randomly link adjacent cells that belong to different sets, merging the sets together as you go. For each remaining set, choose at least one cell and carve south, adding that southern cell to the set as well. Repeat for every row in the grid. On the final row, link all adjacent cells that belong to different sets.

• Growing tree: This algorithm is a generalization of the Prim's algorithms. Start by creating a set and adding an arbitrary cell to it. Then, choose a cell from the set. If the cell has no unvisited neighbors, remove it from the set; otherwise choose one of the unvisited neighbors and link the two together. Add the neighbor to the set. Repeat until the set is empty.

• Hunt-and-kill: Starting at an arbitrary location, perform a random walk, avoiding previously visited cells. When no more moves are possible, scan the grid, looking for an unvisited cell next to a visited cell. If found, connect the two, and resume the random walk. The algorithm terminates when it cannot find any unvisited cells.

• Kruskal: Begin by assigning each cell to a different set. Randomly link two adjacent cells, but only if they belong to different sets. Merge the sets of the two cells. Repeat until only a single set remains.

• Prims (simplified): Initialize a set with an arbitrary cell. Randomly choose a cell from the set. If it has no unvisited neighbors, remove it from the set. Otherwise, choose one of the cell’s unvisited neighbors, link the two together, and add the neighbor to the set. Repeat until the set is empty.

• Prims (true): First, assign every cell a random weight, and initialize a set with an arbitrary cell. Choose the cell with the greatest weight from the set. If it has no unvisited neighbors, remove it from the set. Otherwise, choose one of the cell’s unvisited neighbors, link the two together, and add the neighbor to the set. Repeat until the set is empty.

• Sidewinder: Consider the grid one row at a time. For each row, link random runs of adjacent cells, and then carve north from a random cell in each run. Treat the northern row specially, linking all cells into a single corridor. (Another easy one.)

• Wilsons: Choose an arbitrary cell and add it to the maze. Starting from any other cell, perform a loop-erased random walk until you encounter a cell belonging to the maze, and then add the resulting walk. Repeat until all cells have been added.

You can also make your own, if you are so inclined. Don't be bothered if its slow, though -- that happens to everyone! I won't tell you how to create a grid; I'll leave that up to your creative and intelligent mind. And if your chosen one ends up to be too complicated for you, try another one.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github