2006-03-02 23:53:36

Parham, you ask excellent questions. Unfortunately there isn't an easy yes/no to them. The only way to answer them is to read the specific license granted to you which enumerates all the rights and priviledges. The line you quote does not grant you unlimited use, it is in fact limited to the specific program as features of that program. Most license agreements wil specifically state that  you may not modify, redistribute, reverse engineer, etc... They will also state specifically what rights you do have.  Basically all of your questions were compiled into this one: "so, when i buy a game, i can use it's effects, because i payed for it, i don't think anything is wrong with that, is it?" The answer is not a simple yes/no. You can use the effects only as described specifically (not implied or inferred) in the license agreement, and not because you payed for it, but because the owner granted you those limited rights. In general, if the license doesn't specifically say you can do something, you have not been given permission by the owner.

Another item of note is that the consumer has not bought the program, they have purchased a license to use the program in the limited capacity as detailed in the end user license agreement. For most people this is only a semantic difference. Legally, it is a significant difference which is brought in the open with your questions.

As far as laws applying, most countries (I do not know if Iran is included) recognize the copyright laws of the country of origin. So something you produce in Iran will be governed by the laws of your country and the other countries would recognize those laws as being applicable in any legal cases surrounding your copyright.

PS: bboyer, I apologize for continuing on this topic, but questions were asked in specific reference to copyright.

2006-03-02 23:58:31

well, sighted ppl can't notice sounds as visually inpaired people, but, they notice the game engine changes. Like (i know it is not right, it is only an example) they can notice that medal of honor uses the quake graphycal engine, which we do not interested about.
But still, parham and yakir are just right.

HTH,
Robjoy

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-03-03 00:08:23

robjoy wrote:

well, sighted ppl can't notice sounds as visually inpaired people, but, they notice the game engine changes. Like (i know it is not right, it is only an example) they can notice that medal of honor uses the quake graphycal engine, which we do not interested about.
But still, parham and yakir are just right.

HTH,
Robjoy

Sometimes the game engine is licensed as well. It was not used without permission, and believe me, much compensation.

2006-03-03 03:22:34 (edited by cx2 2006-03-03 03:26:20)

Very true. Half Life was based on a heavily modified Quake 2 engine, this happens from time to time. Also the original Voyager Elite Force was based on the Quake 3 engine. It reduces the amount of required work so they can concentrate on features rather than the internal gubbins, though no doubt they have still made many changes on the underlying code. It's like the GMA engine being licensed for other audio games.

Edit:
Parham, just read your post. If you "buy" a game you do not have the right to use the game's component files. You have the right to use the software's features, which means you can play a game or write a document in Word. It also says you may not copy or reverse engineer any component of the game without written consent from the developer, sounds are a component not a feature. The game playing the sounds itself is a feature, which you may use, but the sounds are not a feature and so you have no rights regarding their use independent of the game.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.