2019-04-11 23:18:17 (edited by redfox 2019-04-12 13:11:07)

Hi!
So my friend and I, jimmy69, recently announced that we were making a game.
This is still happening, and progress is still being made.
We wanted to release a game before hand that could show that we can code, and that we can release a game.
We are looking for a co-dev, because we have absolutely no idea how to do this.
I would studdy the code you make relligiously until I understood it, and would use the beginnings of your code to help continue it.
Jimmy isn't as much a coder as a writer, and an idea provider.
It will be me and the co-dev doing probably all if not 99 percent of the code.
We wil be paying 60 dollars to the person who satisfactorily helps us.
To be admitted, you must meet the following requirements:

• Know advanced coding techniques such as use of arrays, dictionaries, classes/objects, etc.

• Be fluent in english.

• B comfortable talking on a phone, teamtalk, skype, etc.

• Understand that you are probably only there to code, not to write. If you wish to help write, then we will talk. But this probably will not happen.

• Be comfortable with extremely sexual topics, of many many different fetishes.

• Submit a, source included, minimum of 500 character, not including external libraries or includes, game of your design to me. It doesnt have to be fancy, just a rudementary show of abilities. Make this code contain a lot of different coding concepts. If you feel that your reputation proceeds you, just say so in the email and I may or may not ask for code.

• Prefferably be able to make this in python, bgt, or something similar. If you would prefer to make this in a different language, please ask me and I will get back to you.

If you wish to apply for this, and feel you fit the requirements, contact one of us:
Redfox: Preferably me, cause I check my email religiously:
Email: [email protected]

Please consider applying for this. Without help, we would probably be lost.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-04-11 23:20:36 (edited by Ethin 2019-04-11 23:21:11)

Uh. Dude. You can't make a game without advanced programming concepts. Just not possible. If its something more advanced than a guess-the-number-game, your going to need arrays, dictionaries and so on.
Second, go look at LOVE2D and pick up a book on Lua. Third... uh... yeah, let's not go there.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-04-12 01:36:46

Please. Pretty pretty pretty pretty please remove the phone numbers. This is just asking for trouble. Surely there's bound to be other ways of contacting the two of you.
Twitter is free, facebook is free, skype is free, the latter which provides you with a phone number you can get changed if too many automated and shady callers start to pick up on it/you.
Please let this be known. You, never ever put your phone number on a public forum for all to read. Ever. Not even your skype one. I understand there's already billions of people who already have phone numbers known but still, you can, at least attempt to be a little more helpful to yourself?
That being said, can you be more specific? What is it your looking for in a programmer. What is it you need help with exactly? Also, you and whoever ends up being your co-developer really have to know at least some common knowledge beyond knowing how to print text to the terminal. If not, most of the work will end up going to the co-dev, they will get annoyed and leave, leaving you with dozens if not hundreds of lines worth of code, if your lucky.
But please. For yours and Jimmy's sake, remove those phone numbers!

2019-04-12 02:36:26

Not just that, but you can't just thrust this on a developer like that. If you need a developer to help you with like they might do in the workforce, that's fine. But if you want this much help? You might as well let them take over the entire project -- and your going to have to raise their pay, because programmers don't come cheap! The good ones don't, anyway. (The average pay for programmers nowadays is over $90000.00 a year, if that tells you anything. And that's an hourly rate of ove r $30.00 per hour!)

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-04-12 02:44:23

I completely checked out when you said no arrays, dictionaries or classes. Nope.

2019-04-12 05:53:50

In short, no one is going to do this. My god, this topic is completely ridiculous.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-12 06:30:30

Well, when I first saw your original topic, my hopes weren’t high, but any faith I had in you is now pretty much gone. I don’t even know where to start here. So, you want to make a game to prove that you can code, but you need someone to help you code it because you... can’t code? I ask you, how does this make even the slightest bit of sense? Also, please explain to me how one makes a game without objects in bgt. May as well not bother though, because what do you need to make bgt play sounds or use tts? That’s right, an object! It may not be an entirely self-coded object, but it’s still an object, and you would know how important dictionaries, objects and classes are if you’d bothered to try and understand the concepts. Yes, even I as a non-coder can tell you this. If you want anything more involved than a basic blackjack game, rephrase your ludicrous demands. Or even better, stop being lazy and learn to make it yourself. I’m not even going to begin to wonder why the coder must be cool with sexual references. Not that I mind too much, but seriously, such things show quite well where you stand maturity wise. I also fail to see how a game submission could contain lots of different programing concepts if the dev isn’t ment to use some very importsant tools like... a dictionary. Finally, get those phone numbers out.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2019-04-12 06:40:51

wow. I am truly amused. they want to make the best game ever with extremely dedicated developers, charge 50 bucks for what was it? a thousand maze levels and puzzles and what not? but when it comes to making the thing, they want someone else to do it for them. You are seriously the best developers ever! ever! no one can even compare to how dedicated you are. Hmm. so, the co dev makes the thing, but gets absolutely no say in how the game story, or whatever you come up with, goes. Right? yeah I bet you won't find someone stupid enough to make something for someone else and not get there own input. go learn to code. you say in your signiture that you're a coder, or learning. right? take some time. learn the code, then come back and try again. thank you drive through.

2019-04-12 07:08:55 (edited by Ethin 2019-04-12 07:11:17)

Agreed with everyone else. No dev is going to do this. I won't go into the biases displayed with object-oriented programming in this topic (because after you learn Rust you learn quite quickly that OOp isn't everything and that most of the time its *bad*). However, you cannot make *anything* other than a guess the number game (and even that's questionable) without using any, one, or all of the following:
* OOP-based: classes, objects, interfaces, inheritance
* Functional: multimethods, prototypes, pattern matching, branching/conditions
And so on. Even if you write in a procedural language like C, your still going to use a form of OOP combined with functional programming, to a degree; you'll be passing structs around all over the place. Hell, you might want to throw in some unions too. And lots and lots and lots of pointers (or the equivalent i your language of choice). No language is ever fully complete without giving you some way of accessing raw memory (which is handy in many cases). Even rust, which encourages safety to the degree where the compiler requires you to write safe code and you have to explicitly tell it when something won't be safe, allows you to access memory. And didn't you know? Even Python lets you access memory, manually allocate/free, etc. (I wouldn't do that in Python or Rust though -- manually manage memory. Let the compiler/interpreter handle that for you.) However, poking around in memory is a very nice feature to have, and you'll use it a lot, especially in C and C++. (And did you know? In the DMPA/DMNB era, we did use memory poking/peeking functions. Several times, in fact.)

My Github

2019-04-12 13:13:53

I understand the points raised by the others here, and maybe I could've phrased it better, but I do understand how to do these things, maybe not graitely but that's still a work in progress.
This was just a tentative thing so... if you don' tlike it, don't do it.
I do apriciate the constructive feedback and will learn from it in the future.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-04-12 20:40:15 (edited by amerikranian 2019-04-12 20:50:14)

So I don't understand something.

Redfox wrote:

Know advanced coding techniques such as use of arrays, dictionaries, classes/objects, etc.

For me, that makes sense. However,

Ethin wrote:

Uh. Dude. You can't make a game without advanced programming concepts. Just not possible.

Lucas1853 wrote:

I completely checked out when you said no arrays, dictionaries or classes. Nope.

That's what has me stumped. The OP wants to learn classes and dictionaries. He's not saying no as in n o, he's saying know, as in k n o w. He wants to use the classes and dictionaries, but he's not sure how.
Frankly, I'm surprised at the amount of negativity Redfox received. I think what he was asking for is mentorship, and is that so wrong? Having somebody who knows what they're doing can and most likely will save you some headache as they guide you through applying what you learned from books to creating games. So why such a backlash? Can someone just explain that to me?
On a more stupid note, when I tried to avoid using classes my code looked like this. Don't do this guys, just, don't.

x=0
y=0
z=0
def main():
 while 1:
  playerloop()
def playerloop():
 global x
 global y
 global z
 #You get the point.

I got sick of having 200 lines that go global this or that, so I used classes. Kind of have to with python, but not with bgt. BGT allows you to get away with the code I provided above, you'd just need to specify that the x y and z variables are int, change defs to void, add ;s, and there you go.
Of course, again, you should not do that. You shouldn't write code like one showed above. Doing so will make it very difficult for you to maintain it.

2019-04-12 21:10:52

Well I guess now we know who uses a braille display to read the forum and who doesn't!

2019-04-12 21:52:04

just lol

2019-04-12 22:39:28

I do understand, although not perfectly, how classes work, having some trouble  with arrays and dicts, but you know, learning.

----------

2019-04-13 00:16:11

Classes aren't too difficult to understand, to a point. You can do what I did and learn just enough to get you going or you can go all rocket scientist about it.
You basically code your classes almost like you would regular functions, like walking, playing sounds, etc. But the real difficulty is deciding what scope you'll code them in.
If you add class specific functions, that makes things a bit more sensible because in bgt you can go
for(int i=0;i<robots.length;i++)
{
//replace parentheses with brackets.
robots(i).shoot();
}
We're going through an array of robots and telling every single one of them to execute the, shoot, function, which is coded internally inside the class of robots. You can have all the checks and things in there to see if the robot has any reason to shoot, for example being near the player. How you do that is completely up to you.
But if you code external functions, that gets really messy very quickly. Imagine this.
void robots_act()
{
for(int i=0;i<robots.length;i++)
{
//replace parentheses around, i, with brackets
if(robots(i).x==player_x and robots(i).y==player_y)
{
//robot shoot code goes here, not a call to robot(i).shoot, because remember your coding all your stuff here and now.
}
}
}
And that's it. That's all there really is to classes enough to get you going. I can provide more examples if needed.

2019-04-13 00:30:54

The issue with no and know pretty much sound the same. He could've phrased it differently which would've been helpful. Something like "You must:"... requirements here...

My Github

2019-04-13 01:12:06

I feel like it was pretty obvious the way I phrased it, but maybe not?

----------

2019-04-13 01:26:19

o and thats also why you ask for clarification, and if it caught your eye, look at it.
Instead of just instantly thinking the worst and yelling at me lmfaowwowwo.

----------

2019-04-13 02:43:43 (edited by haily_merry 2019-04-13 02:44:51)

Responding to americranian’s post,
It’s not so much the question, but the person behind the keyboard. I believe little 12 year old jimmy and fox could make a game as complicated as they were saying about as much as i believe sediment is secretly a god. big_smile
Now don’t get me wrong, there are ways of coding enemies and things without the use of arrays and classes, i’ve done it before with private projects and mason did it with older vers of sb, anything below 6.0, that was why there used to be only 1 enemy because he did stuff like int enemypos; int enemyhealth; etc.
You get the idea. If you want to get anywhere, you *need* at least a basic understanding of classes and for loops, if nothing else.

2019-04-13 04:17:33

@19, if sediment was a god we’d all be screwed.
As for knowing classes and such, I agree. However, I still say that waiting is a good idea. You never know, people can be very resourceful when trying to hold up a promise...

2019-04-13 07:02:54

also @19 I do?
Maybe not perfectly but thats why I'm asking, to help further my knolidge of classes.
Also, I'm 13 wahahahahahha.
Also, why does my age have anything to do with my creativity?

----------

2019-04-13 07:33:54

because adults aren't about to work for kids, and it probably is illegal to do so anyway?

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-13 07:39:55

This makes me wonder though, why no one brought up the age thing when Sam Tupy first made stw. How old was he back then? Yes, he was also 13. Yukio made the first bd game when he was 11 or 12.

2019-04-13 09:29:32 (edited by Dragonlee 2019-04-13 09:37:38)

"• Know advanced coding techniques such as use of arrays, dictionaries, classes/objects, etc."

These are not advanced topics. Classes and arrays  are basic. dictionaries are intermediate at best, but only if you are implemeting a dictionary from scratch using primitives.

Reading your various posts on this forum, including this one it is clear you haven't done  your due studying into programming.

I am not saying this to be mean, like some others on this forum. you are very young so I don't blame you for these mistakes.

But, let me tell you that learning to program requires you to study , study, study! 90% of the time by yourself, reading a book and experimenting. There are many great books you can get for free that will help you learn. I think  you mostly posted about python and javascript. both are great. and you should start with a book that teaches general programming with the language you choose. then if you wish, you can move onto books that write about programming games, which you can then apply to any language.

If you need someone to look at your code, do you not have a computer science teacher at your school or a programming club?

also, in order to code games you need to know math. probably not necessary to know calculus, but algebra is a must. if you cannot solve for x in the following equation, you definitely do not know enough.
(50x -32)/3  = 10

beyond that, you need to know how to work with mathematical vectors, if you are going to make any game where object position is a thing. e.g.
if I give you a vector  [2,1]
what is its distance from origin?
in the context of a game coordinate system,
what effect does scaling a vector have on the object in game?
when you subtract one vector from another, what does the resulting vector represent?
how do you measure distance between two objects?

also, last thing. 60$?! for the entire game? or just sending you the 500 char code? 60$ for a good dev will get you about 2-3 hours of work.

also, code isn't usually measured by chars. It's not really useful to measure it in lines either. what matters if the code does what it is supposed to do. it's not an english essay. as long as program A and program B achieve the same thing, if program B is shorter, it is usually better.

2019-04-13 10:35:54 (edited by Ethin 2019-04-13 10:43:52)

@24, most of the answers to those questions can be learned as you go. Some though, like the distance formula and basic algebra, are definite musts to make good games. The neat thing about the distance formula is that their dynamic: you can use as many dimensions as you like. The coordinates [2, 1] that you gave -- for solving the distance -- cannot be solved without another set of coordinates. In this instance, your equation is incomplete, so the distance can be anything, unless you wanted the answer to a 1D matrix, which is mearly a vector?
The orientation fator also is necessary; FMOD, for example, requires perpendicular vectors for forward and up orientation, or it will give you an error. There are various solutions to such a problem; some suggest the cross product, others suggest the dot product, and so on. Math is awesome like that; there is no single solution to solve a problem, but many solutions to solve many problems.
Finally, an equation like (50x-32)/3=10 can be solved algebraically, but if your going to program that in your going to need to give the computers all the values, including what x is. At least, for most mathematical problems. (There is a large collection of computer algebra systems capable of solving mathematical equations. Don't try writing one yourself. Instead try any of these ones.)
A good way to learn games is to write maze generators and then, once your comfortable, maze solvers. Yes, its an ancient art, and it takes you back to the 90s, but it really is a good way to learn about matrices and coordinate systems (since you'll be using them a lot). And pathfinding algorithms too, if you are so inclined.

My Github