2019-04-09 01:17:57

Hi there,
Are you an aspiring programmer or wanten python developer and don't know where to start?
Do you want to make an audio game, but just don't know where to begin?
Then have I got the answer for you!
I am pleased to announce the first 6 tutorials in a series of programming guides on how to learn python programming for beginners.
These tutorials are 15 minutes long and cover:
1, introduction and installation
2, variables
3, if, elif and else
4, for and while
5, functions
6, the dir()

More tutorials will follow in the future as we build our own guess the number game together step by step.
Disclaimer: The coding styles expressed in these tutorials and coding opinions are truly my own. Just because I say x y and z are the most common variable types, doesn't mean that other people agree!

these tutorials are aimed to get you, the user, on your feet when it comes to coding in python.
The first 6 are out, and the rest will follow on either a week, or two week basis.
These are targeted at people who have little, to no, programming experience. Experienced python programmers will most likely find these boring, and eye roll worthy.
I hope they help you.
https://www.nathantech.net/products/tutorials/index.php

Feedback is appreciated.

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-04-09 01:34:59 (edited by Ethin 2019-04-09 01:49:17)

These are good - listening to the first one, and will listen to the remaining as I go. One thing I should note right away is that the music is incredibly invasive. On shitty headphones that might not be a problem, but on these studio monitors (yes, I do use hose for daily computing rofl) its very noticeable. Perhaps you should fade out the background music by -- say -- 6 DB or so -- so that that's not a problem. So far so good otherwise though. The explanation between 32-and 64-bit systems was simplistic but good (and I understand the simplicity). (I think at one point you said 34- and 64- though.) smile Also, the "practice area" as you call it is known as a read-evaluate print loop (REPL). You can easily simplify that to "interactive interpreter session". You also might want to discuss the difference between compiled code and interpreted code, or the difference between a compiler and an interpreter (Python is an interpreted language, meaning that each line is evaluated as it is encountered ("read")). The second part of the REPL terminology, "evaluate", means that the interpreter (the interactive Python session) will immediately evaluate the entered instructions. The third, "print", means that the interpreter will either give you an error (if there was an error or exception) or will tell you the result of the evaluated instructions. The fourth, "loop", means that this process will repeat until exit() or sys.exit() is called or ctrl+z plus enter is pressed (on windows only, I believe).
Also, excellent elision of full code samples including all the functions. Its a great thing that most books and tutorials (IMO) should adopt purely because it makes the taker actually think and think creatively, and to create their own unique version of the game, thereby preventing cheating.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-04-09 02:26:37

@ethin
Yeah, I thought it might be slightly too high, but I was not 1000000 percent sure.

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-04-09 06:32:45

Hi dardar.
I'd appreciate if you could re upload the tutorials with the music turned down? I have tried listening to the first part but the loud music makes it really difficult to understand.
thanks and sorry for the complain haha.

2019-04-09 08:56:46

Giving these a look over, yeah agreed with everyone else, try lowering the music about 8dB and raising yourself by about 2.5dB. That'll sort of put the music in the background and sort of as a blurry thing that's there to sort of help you chill but not as a thing that's all up in your face and then you are straining to hear the voice.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-09 09:45:24

Sounds really cool. Once the music thingy get sorted, I'm gonna check them out.

2019-04-09 11:41:43

Hi,

Yup, will check these out as well smile

Thanks dardar, +1

Greetz mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2019-04-10 03:58:46

Thanks so much for these tutorials. I'd mention that Mac users are so much better off installing Homebrew and installing Python that way, but beginners may want to just get started quickly, although homebrew offers updating, and the delights of package management. Also, of course, Emacs and ElPy are great for Python, but I've not explored how good Visual Code is yet.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2019-04-10 18:41:20

I'm going to look at this, but it sounds like you have music issues.
If you like, just export your voice and stuff, and then use the voiceover option in goldwave, it fades beautifully and let's you here graite.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-04-10 19:51:28

Would really like to see a lambda tutorial as well. I love the python tutorial and it has helped me a lot.

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2019-04-10 23:19:24

feedback!
You talk vary quietly.
If you could raise your voice, I dont really see a problem with the music.
Maybe lower it like 3 or 6 db.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-04-11 08:25:25

Hi.
Big thumbs up for me. I have only had time to listen to the first few minutes, and it seems really great, short and effective. You are really good at explaining things and make things simple. Keep up the awesome job.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-04-11 13:14:10

I have another issue.
First of all, minor thing that we can figure out via looking at the code samples, you neglected to mention that print needs a semicolon at the end.
Also, the dictionary cyntax does not work for me.
I'm using python 3.7.whatever, and I do name["name"]="bob"
And it gives me some file errors that I don't remember.

----------

2019-04-11 13:26:21

Thanks sir, for the tutorial.
I am downloading it..

Thanks and regards.
Madhusudan
Visit my youtube channel to dive into accessible tech tutorial.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvVJNv … 9wXunGvl9A

2019-04-11 13:27:40

Oh, very loud music and you spoke very softly

Thanks and regards.
Madhusudan

2019-04-11 17:07:41

@13 it most definitely does not need a semicolon at the end of print, nor any other function call. The functionality of the semicolon is there, however, I've never seen python code that uses it at all. If your code is working only with a semicolon at the end of a print statement, there's something dysfunctional somewhere else in the code.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-11 17:53:54

Hmm.
If you go to the code examples for pt. 2, the print function only works if you add a semi after it. And it's there in the code for pt. 2.

----------

2019-04-11 18:27:03

In python 2, print is a statement, in Python 3, it is a function which means you use ().
This may have something to do with it.

2019-04-11 20:01:56

yeah include the parens, this is a requirement in python 3

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-11 22:36:30

I've only seen semicolons in python pip wheel building systems (i.e. setuptools). I have never seen it be used in actual Python code. Ever.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-04-11 22:57:38

print("Hello, World!) doesn't work but, if you add a ; to the end it does...

----------

2019-04-11 23:18:05

@21, no, no. Its print ("hello, world!"). Not sure what version of Python 3.x your using, but if I do print ("Hello, world!); in Python I get a syntax error.

My Github

2019-04-12 03:39:48

this is a grate tutorial, but is there any way the music could be turned down so i could understand what it is saying? thank you anyway for this grate tutorial

2019-04-12 06:46:00

@21 your code gives error, lol smile it is print("Hello, world!")

Thanks and regards.
Madhusudan

2019-04-12 13:24:39

python 3.7.something, it's the top thing if you type download python 3 in google, click the windows link.

----------