2019-04-11 17:04:14

I have a deaf friend, who is also low vision. She can read lips and can sign. She can hear some speach if you talk loud. But, I have a naturaly soft voice so, she can not hear me. I do not know sign language so, how do I comunicate with her?

2019-04-11 17:09:38

That's a tough one, I was never effectively able to communicate with deaf people, much less deafblind. I guess her being the latter does mean that you could use Braille where I wouldn't have had the option, being as the deaf people I'd tried to communicate with were fully sighted.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-11 17:13:21

There is a special language for the deaf blind, at least here in Spain, called dactile language or something like that. No idea if this applies to other countries but basically there are gestures for each letter and then this person can touch your hand, though as for my exprience this system is overly complicated for a novice.

Best option probably is to use a Braille display to communicate or something, at least in the short term.

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2019-04-11 17:21:44

if she can read lips, you just need to look at her and speak clearly. if you aren't in the same room, try video chatting.

2019-04-11 17:29:15

Yeah but then how can she talk back, unless they have a braille display between them or a computer or something.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-11 17:37:54

You make a good point.

i was assuming she could talk. if she can't, then a computer or text messaging might work.

2019-04-11 20:22:18

She can talk, but someone has to get her atention so she can look at them. However,  I can not tell when she's looking at me, and she does not know braille. By the way, sory for double posting. I have to tap the submit button multiple times on my phone, for some reason.

2019-04-11 21:34:25

Than open a document on a computer to type. This way, she could read the print from the screen.  This may prove inconvenient or be a bad solution in general, but I had the idea so I figured why not post it.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-04-11 21:41:02

he said deaf blind. blind, i.e. not able to read print.

Oh interesting, I wonder how you can learn to talk if you can't hear.

A deaf blind person who does not read braille, I don't even know what to say to that. I don't know how to communicate then

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-11 22:09:24

Ok, I have the wrong description. She had sight, but lost some of it later in life. I think she is considered lleagally blind.

2019-04-11 23:44:24 (edited by Pineapple Pizza 2019-04-11 23:45:05)

Can she read print still?E

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-04-11 23:56:27

Yes she can read. We go to the blind center together and theres other people and noiz around.

2019-04-12 00:12:07

I would like to learn to sign. However I do not know who could teach me tactile signing in Washington North Carolina. She has an iPhone,  and I have her number. The only solution I can think of for now, is to text her.

2019-04-12 00:12:41

THOUGHT so. Perhaps the computer thing would be a start.

2019-04-12 00:37:13

Ummm, I don't know how to use my webcamera.

2019-04-12 02:49:16

I asumed this was in person

2019-04-12 04:22:47 (edited by SirBadger 2019-04-12 04:24:23)

I did some work experience once at a centre for deaf and blind people and I learned the tactile alphabet in about 10 minutes. that was a long time ago but it's not hard to learn and I'm sure there must be websites about it. you hold the person's hand and use your fingers to talk. bit like brail in the fact it's tactile but the way you do it is very different.

forgotten it all now though. lol I do have deaf friends that can lip read though and they've taught me how to do some very rude sign language.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2019-04-12 08:37:03

Hi.
I work with def blind people. Here are some tips you might find useful:
1. If she can read your libs by looking at you, then start by getting her attention by touching her shoulder. In this way, you will get her attention in a natural way.
2. If she is more far away, you can send her a short sms, and she will feel the vibration from her phone to get her attention.
3. If she is still having trouble on hearing what you are saying, you can either communicate by sms, or for longer conversations, you can use a laptop, where you simply write what you wanna say in a document.
I will recommend you to talk about what she prefer regarding to communication, so she decide the solution which works best for her.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-04-14 03:27:13 (edited by Green Gables Fan 2019-04-14 09:43:32)

I am blind and hard-of-hearing, and pardon if this comes off as sounding blunt, but if anything it's probably because of ignorance.. I have experienced some internalised ableism by some blind people, such as excessive yelling, sounding angry, or otherwise making me feel as if it were my fault that I couldn't hear them the first time.
I also have an older brother who is profoundly deaf and blind since birth, but unlike I, he never developed oral language skills, so his behaviur is the only means of communication.
Look at post 16 in the thread entitled Blind and Sighted Mindsets, or something like that.
@Post 9, some people, due to English not being their native language (signing being their primary means of communication) they may not completely understand print or Braille. Other deaf-blind people may have additional intellectual and developmental disabilities that prevent them from learning Braille. This is why we need to better educate ourselves by learning and exposing ourselves to blind people with multiple disabilities.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy