2019-04-11 05:24:15

I'd mentioned using Luigi for my GUI. It doesn't expose all the events we'll need, but if you're looking for a sightling to do that then you're coding in the wrong area. tongue You'll want to use my fork at https://github.com/ndarilek/luigi which at least includes a focus event. See the diff for how to do it. It isn't that hard, and I or someone else is going to have to build that out. You're not going to find a game GUI with anything resembling a screen reader accessibility API, but some will at least nod in that direction, and you're going to have to take those and run with them, that or build an entire *other* thing from scratch.

2019-04-11 05:32:52

I'll give 'er a shot sometime. I'll probably need a GUI anyway fortextual input.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-04-11 20:08:26

So I don't necessarily want to rehash an old discussion, but it seems like every other post in this forum is about writing audio games with Python. How are those Python games being obfuscated so no one can steal the code?

I have to admit to starting to get a *bit* worried by how much code theft, or alligation of code theft, I see in this forum.

I'm also a bit concerned by some of what I perceive as victim-blaming. I've seen a few folks claim that because someone's code was stolen, the cat is already out of the bag, and we might as well just accept that. I still stand by my plan to not worry much about this, and to almost certainly open source enough components to build one's own games with Love. But if the Python obfuscation methods aren't any better, then perhaps there needs to be a larger cultural pushback against the unlicensed use of game code, because that seems to be the direction everyone else is taking.

Maybe this should be a separate thread...

2019-04-11 22:31:26 (edited by Ethin 2019-04-11 22:33:01)

@28, I know. The word "clone" has pretty much become common usage these days. People are quite happy to throw around accusations that someone cloned something else without any evidence whatsoever, other than "Oh, it has the similar or identical features to x", when they don't have the code to x, or the new game that their bitching about, in the first place. I have attempted to temper some of it by attempting to define what a clone would be, but no, no one wants to listen to the fact that a clone is an exact duplicate of something else. And they're quite happy to still throw around accusations. I'm getting tired of it myself and honestly can't say I'm too surprised its driving you away. I wouldn't be surprised if the willingness of people to accuse others of cloning games without any evidence at all to back it up other than statements that are subjective at best is driving sited developers away too. Not too sure how the obfuscation/cythonization of code is working out for others though... no one really has talked about it.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github