2019-04-11 03:09:27

Hello.

I just got my Technician class license last week. My call sign showed up earlier today.
I was any amateur/ham operators out there? I would like to connect.

2019-04-11 15:46:35

Do not know if we can connect, but KG4FUJ here.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2019-04-11 17:07:06

Hey, CW.

Do you have echo link on your mobile devices or computer? We can connect through there. My call sign is kn4tup.
I just passed my tech test last week and got my call sign yesterday.

2019-04-11 17:21:43

Yes, I have EchoLlink both on my IOS devices  and my PC. I also have the peanut app installed on my windows seven PC if you know about that. I will be sure to give you a call sometime. I see that you are just a few letters off of being TOP. LOL. Just saying.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2019-04-11 17:32:49

This is probably a stupid question, but how did you take the exam? Did you use a reader, or was it on the computer or something?

i have been kicking around getting a license for a couple of years, but I have always wondered what accommodations were available for the test.

2019-04-12 02:14:15

Here in the US, a team of three Volunteer examiners give the exam. It's been awhile, but I remember having someone read the test to me. If you choose to sit for the exam, be sure to let them know of your vision problem. If they know ahead of time, then they will know that you will need a reader and would, most likely, will need the diagrams removed from the test too. If you cannot get to the exam, and still wish to take it, then contact the nearest club in your area and ask what they can do for you, if anything. You will not be the first with a disability to take the test. It is also worth noting that amateur radio operators do often love having people to talk to and to learn from. Of course, it is also a good chance to learn. Here is a good resource for the US when studying. Also, here is the US tech question pool if you just want to study the questions themselves. Hope this helps.

DropBox Referral

2019-04-12 16:54:38

Thanks for the info. I'll chek it out.

2019-04-14 03:22:56

Hello, de KJ7ERC.
I have EchoLink on my devices, but I haven't yet had a chance to get a radio, not even a Baofeng UV5R or the Kenwood TH D74A. I am an ARRL and HandiHam member, though.
I got my licence three days before my birthday, which was definitely a wonderful surprise. I got to visit a Ham Radio Outlet store, too.
What is the Peanut app for Windows?

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2019-04-14 09:43:26

I passed my tech class two weeks ago. I got my call sign this past Wednesday.
I am currently studying for my general and extra class licenses. I am excited about all of the things you can do in this hobby.

2019-04-21 18:28:03 (edited by cw 2019-04-22 01:39:02)

As for the peanut app for windows, I sort had lost the URL, but here in this podcast, they do talk about it some. Of these goes covers other things in the hobby too. Just as a tip mind you. Anyway, planning on dropping the link to the audio recoarding I made with my D74 later to give people a taste of what DStar sounds like when ever I get it uploaded to my dropbox. A hint, the audio of a DStar transmission is vary highly compressed (ruffly around 4.6Kbps).
Edit
Here is a DStar recording for those who maybe interested. I am personaling finding DStar interesting at this time. Suggest that others give this a listen to get a ruff idea how DStar sounds like. Kind of makes me wonder why we do not have digital voice on the FRS radios that we can get here in the USA. Maybe people might not stand for such highly compress audio?

DropBox Referral

2019-05-21 15:33:51

My call sign is N8XQ. I just got a Kenwood TH-D74A a few weeks ago. @cw I would be interested in any tips you might have for getting started with DStar on the D74. I have never used DStar, so I am starting from the beginning.

2019-05-21 15:44:23

I hope to get the Kenwood ThD74A as well.
I've also been looking at building my own little ham shack out of brick and mortar, and possibly using a generator for emergency radio operation.
I heard that D* wasn't entirely accessible. I don't know about DMR or other means of digital audio radio.
I do have the Echolink app on my phone and installed on my computer.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2019-05-21 18:16:49 (edited by cw 2019-05-21 18:17:52)

@Thrash I do endeed have a tip or two for you. @Green Gables Fan DStar is more useable to the blind than you might first think. If you are going into DStar, the d74a is really the best radio for the blind from what I can tell. Now for my tip or two. I would highly suggest that this review is read and I would suggest that the links need to be followed to get what you need to get started with this nice HT. As for DStar it self, you should try the DStar for dummies file. Hope that helps.

DropBox Referral