2019-04-07 16:06:53

Do you know the problem? You learn a programing language, but this language has no Way of speaking through sapi or screen reader? You want to download a file but also this is to much for this language? This stops you from chosing that language. If this is the only thing that stops you, forget it. Dev exe toolkit is for you.

Dev exe is a commandliner that can acomplish these things for you. Currently it can speak, download, copy to clipboard, and much more is in plan. You can of course also suggest new things that should be added, and please tell me if you like the idea. Thanks, simter.

Lamas with hats, but with sponge bob as carl Stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvAUQt … subscriber

2019-04-07 19:43:02

1: What are the features, exactly? Speaking, copying to clipboard, and downloading files? Is that it?
2: What language is this made in? I'm asking because I don't think you could or would really want to create a wrapper for something if it's made in BGT.
I think the idea is neat, but it falls short on advertising, heh.

2019-04-07 21:20:11

that's it for now but more is in plan, that's just the first version don't forget that

2019-04-08 11:17:51

I feel like if a programming language lacks the ability to transfer data via the internet and to interface with a screen reader, then maybe one should reconsider their choice of languages. Just saying.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-04-08 12:40:33

Seems like reinventing the wheel to me: for downloading you've got wget, for speaking to sapi and handling clipboard and a thousand other things you've got nircmd (on the nirsoft website they only state that you're allowed to redistribute the files provided that you don't modify them, I think this doesn't exclude using it in your own app but not entirely sure).

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2019-04-08 17:03:12

@ liam, python can't do that without other components, lol. And since when can nir cmd speak through nvda? And why should you implement wget in your game?

2019-04-08 17:56:41

yes, python can do that without any other components. Using other components does make it much more simpler, if I remember correctly you have to use ctypes to interface with a C dll, then a whole lot is possible but still complicated. Also, a command line app will add overhead to whatever you're doing, it will have to start for each operation. In a fast paste game, this is not what you want. Add to this things like tolk include many wrappers already so most popular languages can use screen readers just fine. And why would I use your app which only has support from a small subset of this comunity, and not a mainstream library for my language of choice and get support from the mainstream comunity which is much larger?

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2019-04-08 18:30:52

Hi,

I just want to better understand the use case for this tool kit.

So, these are command line tools? If so, I dont really understand their purpose. Could you please describe a use case for when they would be useful?

For copying to clipboard windows already has a built in command line tool called "clip". There are also command line tools for downloading files. And for speech, why need a command line tool? Doesn't that add a lot of unnecessary overhead in the context of a game where speech would have to be used frequently?

Thanks

2019-04-08 18:57:57 (edited by Ethin 2019-04-08 18:59:00)

I'd like to point out that most AV (antivirus) programs consider anything by Nirsoft a virus or malicious. I'm not exactly sure why but I'd stay away from those if you want your customers to actually like you. Other than that, this tool kit seems useless. I don't need a program for speech; I already have several program for downloading files; I don't need a program to copy text to the clipboard... what does this toolkit offer me that Python, Go, Rust, C++, and so on, don't either out of the box or with a library like GLFW? (For contextual purposes, GLFW lets you receive normal events -- text and keyboard -- but you can also read and write to the clipboard and receive drag and drop events too. And it lets you do OpenGL and Vulkan things too, which is neat.)
I'm not expecting your toolkit to be an AIO solution or to be the best thing ever... but just what does this toolkit do that makes it unique from all the others?

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-04-09 19:23:11

um, this thing is useless, and i just wanted to say what post 7 and 9 did, python can do a hole lot better then this

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2019-04-09 21:48:46

Um, maybe we could be a little bit nicer than this?
I will just say, this isn't something I'd pay 100 dollars for.
Pyperclips can manage you're clipboard in Python, I made the smallest wrapper ever for Tolk, and hello, wxget, thank you for helping me download that file! big_smile
Simter, maybe try something that is not available in BGT.
The app may still take time to load, but at least it'll be doing something that you would have to write code to do otherwise.

2019-04-10 05:19:47

i fully agree with @7, @9 and @10. This is totally useless.

2019-04-10 06:36:01

If you really wanted to use the full power of python you could have downloaded files with urllib or requests copyingtext with pyperclip/win32clipboard on windows and speak text througgh tolk/accessible_output/ any other c library which can be wrapped with ctypes.

Paul

2019-04-10 14:24:37

So one of the things I learned when taking programming in school was to make things to make your own life easier.
I'm curious as to how you would be using this command line tool to make things easier for yourself, and why you feel th eneed to do so. I'd actually like to have a constructive conversation about this.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-04-10 14:46:09

I'd use a command line app if all of the following things are the case:
1. The app performs a non-trivial task and it isn't time-critical. eg. it updates a program, does UPNP, etc.
2. There's no easy way to do this in my programming language of choice. This is subjective, but as a rule of thum if it takes 3 times longer doing whatever I need to do within my app in comparison to using a command line app, this holds. This might also hold if I have intrinsic knowledge of the command line app I'm interested in.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2019-04-10 15:01:37

I'll use varying apps based on many factors. But the most important one is whether the app I want to use has a feature that other apps on my computer don't have. If it does, and the license is fair and reasonable, there's a pretty high chance tha I'll use it. As an example (with audio formats), when I was trying to learn about DSD and wanted to try encoding an audio file with it, it was hard for me to find good encoders. As pointed out by my little program to list all available FFMpeg encoders and decoders on my system, I have (and probably did when I was finding an encoder) a decoder for DSD, but not an encoder. So I looked and found on, and used it, since it provided a feature that no other app I had did.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-04-10 16:41:32

Dev exe actually is responding pritty fast. When it comes out i will put a test aplication into the folder so you can see.

2019-04-27 09:36:46 (edited by DJWolfy 2019-04-27 09:37:35)

⠠⠊ think all this "oh, this is entirely useless" is a little bit harsh. in stead, maybe give ideas as to how to make this more useful. Remember that he is  a beginning programmer and how you might feel if everyone just told you  your stuff was useless.
best regards

2019-04-27 11:49:38

rory-games wrote:

⠠⠊ think all this "oh, this is entirely useless" is a little bit harsh. in stead, maybe give ideas as to how to make this more useful. Remember that he is  a beginning programmer and how you might feel if everyone just told you  your stuff was useless.
best regards

+1

2019-04-27 15:33:31

totaly agree @post18. For me it seams like people saying all my stuff is bad because they still hate me for lc.

2019-04-27 16:20:58

So, where is the tool? What about the other thing called toolbox? Nobody hates you, but nobody wants to use reduntant things either. If people say something is bad, it simply is, but it does not mean you are bad. Focus on making something else and learn from feedback. Nobody will say hey this is great when it's simply not needed and you could spend your time making something that actually is needed. As a beginner, I don't advise you to post about things that are coming soon either. Just develop and when you feel you have something ready, release it to the public. You guys are making unneeded pressure for yourself. If you thought being a developer was easy, then you were wrong.

2019-04-27 19:11:12 (edited by defender 2019-04-27 19:21:46)

I don't hate him, but he is pissing me off now.  He keeps making the same mistakes again and again and diving headfirst into things he knows will cause drama from previous experience, even when people advise him against it.  He isn't doing the things he should be doing if he wants to be a respected developer in the future.

If this continues, he may end up to be a very toxic thorn in the side of this community in a few years, even if that's not what he's trying to do.
I understand being young and full of ideas you can't follow through on because you lack the skills needed, and wanting to copy others that you've seen have success, but at a certain point you need to either start showing some maturity or quit the scene entirely; at least until you understand more about coding and project management, and maybe have some smaller, private projects under your belt that don't just run, but run well.
This needs to be less about showing off and playing with the big boys, and more about making quality contributions to  the community without promising things you can't deliver on, or feeding the trolls.

And actually, only part of this is about LC, which I barely even remember now.  Most of it is about the Any Audio drama you've caused, and the projects you keep starting and abandoning seemingly just for show, since they are nearly all done from existing source with few changes.
I respect your perseverance, but after a while you need to think about why everyone seems to have a problem with you.  It can't all just be assholes trying to bring you down if it keeps happening, so it must be at least partly your own actions causing it.  That's when you think about what you need to change, and then see if the opinions of the non trolls change with you.

2019-04-27 21:39:37

Nobody does private projects anymore sadly, and that's the biggest mistakes young developers are making. Both private projects and private testing, which by the way does not mean giving out your source code.

2019-04-27 23:52:12 (edited by Ethin 2019-04-27 23:52:47)

@23, definitely true. I work on my own private projects but I don't always share the code with others (though I'm starting to open them up to others as the open-source mindset takes over and I embrace it more).

My Github

2019-04-28 00:26:25

I also have a lot of private projects. And also, the dev exe code and the toolbox code are both writn from scratch. The reason they are not published yet is because they are not ready for release yet, and i only started toolbox and devexe, and they are still running. Also, which anyaudio drama you mean?