2019-04-10 14:48:30 (edited by Dark 2019-04-10 14:49:09)

Okay another one out. Crypt Shyfter, fallen  empire.

I thought this one was more a strategy game, but it is quite short and ended up being more of a standard adventure, still it's five minutes of shyfter smacking fun so why not?

The Itch.io link is https://kungfuspacebarbarian.itch.io/crypt-shyfter-jrpg

Enjoy!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-04-11 18:37:44

And there is another one Crypt Shyfter, blood island.
this one mixes rpg with the gamebook elements and is good rolocking clean fun, if you think slaying monsters is clean fun anyway big_smile.

I do wish though these two latest adventures were downloadable. Either way Here is the itch.io link

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-04-12 04:29:08

Thanks for announcing these, Dark. Apparently he hasn't posted them on newgrounds yet, but what's cool is that the itch.io versions work the same way.

2019-04-12 18:46:36

Maybe when they turn up on newgrounds there will be a way of downloading them? I rather prefer to play them stand alone since then you don't have as much clutter on the page and its easier to use home and end keys, still nice to see that kfsb is still making these.

2019-04-13 02:17:06

The newgrounds ones are a little nicer, because once you start the game there is nothing on the page except for the game.

2019-04-15 18:23:51

Is this still continuing the ongoing story or does that story end with Legend, with the newer ones being more spin-offs? I tell ya what, I'm liking the series quite a bit.
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
I don't remember what game it is, unfortunately, but I liked how at one point you meet a being who explains about parallel worlds and different versions of your character, which is cool, but there's a payoff regarding the concept of that scene later on I think it might even be in the same book. I wasn't expecting that! But then, after that, there's limerick which seems to be a spin-off, but then the next one after that will, I have a feeling, continue this story.

2019-04-15 18:55:31

The story you speak of generally sort of finishes ish in atomic angel, which also ties in to several earlier ones and indeed later adventures, though I was a wee bit disappointed some of the smaller later adventures like crimson wings and warphounds didn't tie into things more, likely why kfsb took a bit of a break.

Its actually interesting to say that this is a completely silly, random world of misplaced badassery just how much fun the actual stories have, and that there is a deal of world building going on in the background (its always cool to revisit locations, monsters etc we've seen before and giving them another good kicking).

2019-04-19 16:54:09

Sadly no, its not a new adventure, but the good news is kfsb has redone his website (there is a truly hilarious description of why text games are cool).
Also, looking at the update dates on Itch.io it seems pretty much all of his games have been updated, and are no longer downloadable, but hay, they're still quite possible to play on newgrounds or Itch.io directly, plus he's now got a rather cool directory which gives the correct order of all the adventures too.
Find The website of badassary here

These are so getting a db page, indeed I might well drop a donation when finances permit.

2019-04-19 19:44:17

Have you noticed that he's basically said we're allowed to join in by making our own contributions to the universe, in the form of our own Crypt Shyfter games?
What would this be called? It's not open source, but I'm certain someone did give me a term for this but I've forgotten it.

2019-04-29 07:10:27

And now it even has a db page:
https://audiogames.net/db.php?id=Crypt%20Shyfter

2019-05-04 09:13:22 (edited by Dark 2019-05-04 09:42:40)

And we have a new game Shattershard. Available here on Itch.io

This is a demo of what is planned to be a commercial text rpg. I've played a ways through and thus far its looking like a much more expanded and more awesome form of legend of Azmar, weapons, fights, quests, but with more  writing  some other mechanics, which means it should be pretty damn cool and one I'll certainly be buying if it becomes a full scale commercial game!

Wow, its funny just how nice a  be heroic, wander around, turn based combat, do quests get items game is, it reminds me of the good old days of Sryth.

Oh, and btw, sadly not available on newgrounds from what I gather, nor is this one downloadable, though playing on itch.io isn't too bad.

2019-07-14 07:01:35 (edited by Dark 2019-07-14 07:02:05)

Okay some pretty major changes to Crypt Shyfter, namely that the games are now commercial, but on the plus side are getting lots of updates and indeed new games written, which is pretty cool.

Indeed given how much fun I had with lots of these I've bought the bundle of badassity which gives access to currently all the games in updated versions, though there are various other options from a free bundle, to buying the adventures individually for about 2 usd each.

2019-07-16 07:11:41

It says a downloadable game on itch.io for the bundles. So, are all games in the bundles for download now, so I can Play ofline? I am unsure, since some of the games were available via browser only. And if i buy the biggest bündle, it would be interesting if the upcoming books are included as well, if anyone knows.

2019-07-16 07:19:24

If you buy the 20 dollar bundle you will get everything that gets added after and you can play everything offline.

2019-07-16 12:53:31

yep, the bundle of badassery gives you access to everything thus far, with new games being added to it as downloadable files which is pretty cool.
I think a few of the games are still playable on newgrounds, but all the ones on Itch.io seem purchase and download only, though I personally preferd to play them offline anyway since then you don't have all the links from the host website.

2019-07-16 15:18:17 (edited by Niklas 2019-07-16 15:19:35)

Cool, so I bought the complete bundle. Great Thing.

2019-07-16 23:55:40

Question: is there a way to contact the developer of this game now that he's doing bundles and things, it'll be great if he can take feedback and suggestions for accessibility on board. Or even, I'd just love to send them a message to say thank you.

2019-07-17 03:34:20

There is an email listed on Kfsb's website in the "about" section, plus I don't know if you can add comments on his blog too.

I've been considering sending a note myself.

2019-09-03 01:29:01

Hi! Hope it’s not weird that I’m dropping in here... I was checking the analytics section of my website and saw a bunch of referrals coming from this page, and when I clicked through I found a Crypt Shyfter message board! So cool wink

I read through the issues you guys were having and I made notes to add those to my next round of fixes. Feel free to shoot me a message if anything else comes up! <3 kfsb

2019-09-03 20:16:31 (edited by Dark 2019-09-03 20:16:53)

Hi Kfsb, cool you made it onto this forum.

As you'll gather, myself and others have been very much enjoying the series, both for their completely awesom silliness, and for the fact that being entirely text they're very screen reader friendly. its also great to hear from your recent post that your planning more rpg mechanics, since sadly accessible rpgs are rather few on the ground, and so more games and more mechanics like those in Legend of Asma would be great (I'm really looking forward to shattershard).

btw, just tried the rejigged version of Frostfall.

Lots of fun, though methinks the spells need a bit of a tweak since I slaughtered the frost king in two whacks using (of all things), the  blizard spelll, which was doing 20 or 30 damage even though his max hp was only 9 or 10, ----- craziness big_smile.

FINAL STATISTICS

Level: 2
XP: 163
Gold: 1014

Attack: 7
Speed: 6
Magic: 4

Deaths: 0

2019-09-03 21:36:31

Ha! Good notes. I'll need to fix the magic and find a better way to scale up boss toughness... right now there's a default "fight screen" that auto generates stats for every fight (so its definitely possible to get a really wimpy Frozen King fight as a result), but there might be a better way to individualize monsters somehow. I'll mess around with it.

Cool to hear about the screen reader capabilities- I had no idea about that until I found this forum!

2019-09-05 09:56:02

Woo 44 welcome

2019-12-23 16:58:02

Anyone know where these are now? The ichio page is gone.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2019-12-23 17:08:43

Wow. Uh, guys? It seems that these games have been scrubbed entirely from the internet. And I do mean entirely. Does anyone have these somewhere?

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2019-12-23 17:50:10

I do have them, however a quick hunt around shows they're still on newgrounds.
I seem to remember this happened before when Kfsb was updating prior to the big bundle reshuffle, and we know he's got a major rpg in the works, so hopefully they'll be back soon. It'd be a damn shame if development stopped and the games were lost since they're awesome.