2019-04-09 15:52:25

Nope, check out post 140 where he talks about yours.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-09 17:04:47

Hey folks. I got over to the disChord page, but I can't seem to register the account, when I put in my email and PW, the claim this account button isn't active. Any thoughts? Looking forward to these lessons greatly, much thanks to all.

2019-04-09 17:29:28

hi defender, have you seen 140?

2019-04-09 17:40:48

@149 you're too self deprecating. Your work sounded great mate, the optimisation just needed a bit more work.

2019-04-09 20:50:32

The first and fourth band are set to low and high shelf respectively. You will have to change them to band. I usually end up deleting them all so there is one band, then adding more as I need them. Anyway, it's an EQ, so set the frequency around which the band is to be centered, then changes to the gain will have the effect you desire. Changes to the bandwidth will adjust the size of the chunk of frequencies surrounding the center frequency you selected. So, when it's lower, you're either boosting or attenuating by a smaller chunk.

A lot of people seem to have this issue, so let me try to explain what this thing is actually doing. If you've ever used a mixer, which I know a lot of y'all have, you'll no doubt have seen the EQ section. Normally it's like 3 or 5 band, unless you have a really professional board. When you turn on the EQ, you then can move those bands up and down. Each band represents a frequency range, but you can't change them. So, imagine in reaper that you have this same setup, except you actually can change the frequencies each band operates on. It's letting you sort of build your own EQ. To tie the analogy to the practical work we're doing, imagine that you set up each of those 4 bands. Each band is set to type band in that combobox, and the gain and bandwidth are untouched. You set the first frequency to 60Hz, the second to 200, the third to 1,000, and the fourth to maybe 6,500. Now, switch to band 1 and mess with the gain, what you're doing is moving that fader on the EQ on the imaginary mixer I'm using at a metaphorical device. So, you can switch to each band, and play with the gain, and this is the same as if you just went over to that mixer, and  moved each one of the faders. The other stuff in ReaEQ just lets you customize the way the EQ works. You get to tune each one of those faders to something that works for your situation. No ambiguous labels like bass, mid, treble.

I hope that helps to sort of build a mental image about how this is working. Bandwidth and frequency are just tools to set up the faders on your virtual EQ the way you like, and gain is you moving those actual faders. This isn't a filter, where sweeping the frequency range will produce results in the same way. You might hear changes if you have a very high level of gain added or cut out, but it will be harder to hear if you're only working in increments like +3dB or -3dB.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-09 21:50:30

155, that makes a lot more sense now. Thanks!

thanks,
Michael

2019-04-09 22:40:27 (edited by Che 2019-04-10 22:00:57)

Edit: I wrapped the media and reuploaded, check post 166 below please.
Here are my assignments 1 and 2. I hope I didn't miss something in the instructions, these are raw .rpp files. Is there a better way to save these so it will pull the audio into the project on your end once loaded, or are you just inserting the audio files manually once you load our setups? Much thanks for you guys for being so generous with your time.
http://www.blindadrenaline.com/download … ts_1-2.zip

2019-04-09 23:22:57

Yeah, there are a few things you can do, I wrote about it in some of the posts above, I'd recommend checking there.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-10 17:35:13

Yeah, I saw your post about re-organizing the folder structure, which I think is a great idea, but I looked at another person's assignment, and it is a simple 4k .rpp file as well. I just want to make sure I am making this as easy on Brian as I can. So to be clear, we just include a link to the .rpp file and we're good to go, right?

2019-04-10 17:40:42

No, the media needs to be there too. That's why I talk about what to check in the save dialog using object nav or jaws cursor. I mean technically, he has it so he could put it there, but then, that's not generally how you ship projects, you ship them with the media, and if you set things up as I described, it will be done for you when you save.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-10 18:19:10

Ok, I'll have to go back and find that post, my bad. So this means like for the wind noise removal project, we're gonna be uploading a 100+ Mb file? That is fine with me, I have tons of available bandwidth, but others might not. Thanks again IronCross, you are a fantastic resource here man. BTW, do you go by IronCross or what? I am Che Martin myself from Blind Adrenaline games. Take care.

2019-04-10 18:36:45

Nah, you don't have to do that, because one of the options in there is to convert the media to another format during the copy process. So, you could use flac, which is still a lossless format, but smaller, or MP3 if you really had to.

Ironcross or Brandon, either way.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-10 18:37:42

as ong as the person haves the files, you dont need to send the entire pack but if they dont have, you should ship it with along with the files

2019-04-10 18:47:40

True, but setting this stuff up makes it easier when you do actually need to ship the file.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-10 20:00:59

Ok, cool. Do you happen to know the post number with those packing directions? I should have copied that and put it in my notes when I was reading through. If not, no prob, I can go back through and find it.

2019-04-10 21:59:49

Here are my assignments 1 and 2 with media files included. Apologies if you already looked at these Brian, nothing has changed except I included the media. Thanks again.
http://www.blindadrenaline.com/download … s1and2.zip

2019-04-10 22:05:28

nope I don't recall, think it was on page 4 maybe?

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-10 23:51:27

Thanks Brandon. I also ran across a fantastic resource aimed at screen reader users of Reaper. It has tons of great info and links, including basic setup, keyboard shortcuts, compression basics, etc.
It's called the Reaper Accessibility Wiki. Check it out if you haven't already:
https://reaperaccessibility.com/index.php/Main_Page

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it is all about?

2019-04-11 02:57:39

At 145

Mostly I'm just adding effects and tweaking dials until I hear the sound I have in my head. I have some understanding of the terms, but not much beyond the basics. So this course will do me a lot of good in better understanding what's really going on under the hood.

I did a lot of searching on YouTube a while back about how to get a radio kind of effect, so I kind of already had the idea of how to do it.

I've also done some work in plosive and sibilance reduction. But most of what I know is just me being persistent and not being happy until I get the effect I want.

You can follow me on twitter @s_luttrell and an almost never used Facebook account at skluttrell.

2019-04-14 14:38:49

Hey everyone, sorry for the radio silence. I've been sick and trying to get better before my flight later tonight. I arrive back home on the 17th, and will be back into posting a new video later on this week. I wanted one up before I left but I didn't get to it.

We'll be back up and running soon!

2019-04-14 16:22:31

Feel better, and take your time!

thanks,
Michael

2019-04-23 15:40:51 (edited by daisyalesoundworks 2019-04-23 16:12:55)

Okay here's the next lesson. https://youtu.be/DkF-sM9IvuQ

I don't have any files for you, because in this one you're choosing the three identified segments of your assignment: creating a spell.

Upload them all here and holler at me if you have any questions!

Relevant shortcuts: , and . for moving your sound file earlier and later in the timeframe
Shift , and shift . for scrolling through the soundfile you have selected without changing the duration
Alt , and alt . for moving the location of the end of the sound file selected
Control , and control . for moving the beginning of the sound file selected

Control alt O for starting a fadeout from your selection bar to the end of the clip selected
Control alt I for starting a fadein from your selection bar to the end of the clip selected

2019-04-23 16:39:46

yaaaay

2019-04-23 17:32:29

Hi ya, Are some of the submissions still waiting to be graded/commented on? I'm pretty sure I got mine in before the deadline.
If your schedule has just been too busy, absolutely no problem, just wanted to make sure it wasn't overlooked.
Thanks much.

2019-04-23 17:48:45

@174 Yes I still have one or two more to comment on - I haven't forgotten!