2019-04-08 05:50:12

Hi all,
So I'm trying to install some old games on my system, namely Deakout and Finger Panic, and I'm getting this error.
---------------------------
Error
C:\Windows\system32\StdOle2.tlb

Unable to register the type library: RegisterTypeLib failed; code 0x8002801C.

Click Retry to try again, Ignore to proceed anyway (not recommended), or Abort to cancel installation.
Abort   Retry   Ignore   

The weird thing is, all the other BSC titles work fine, go figure! I hadn't been able to run them under Windows 10 for a couple of years, but I decided to reinstall everything and see what they did, and I can run them all with no problems, yes, including Classic Pipe and Classic Troopanum. Don't ask me how!

I've done all the usual troubleshooting steps. I ran Aprone's checkup program, made sure all the Visual Basic libraries were installed, and ran the media components for classic games file that's been floating around for awhile. I've also made sure I have older versions of .net Framework installed. I know I've seen this error before, hell, I may have even asked about it on here a long time ago, but I can't for the life of me remember how to fix it. Can someone solve this mystery for me? Thanks.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-04-08 09:11:31

maybe it's where it's installed to? Or somethinga bout direct X.

2019-04-08 10:41:43

Ah, now that we're on the subject of running clasic games under windows 10, yall figured ouut of how to run blast chamber 2 and all the other BSC titles that are still out there? Besides of installing an older version of the vb6 runtime libraries of which, I don't have yet, anything else I would need installing, like older version of dot net fraimwork and other stuff?
Thanks in advanced.

Jonathan Candler, A.K.A, Jonnyboy

2019-04-08 11:21:04 (edited by Slender 2019-04-08 11:30:29)

Most should run fine on Windows 10 if you have the Visual Basic 6 dependencies, I don't think the .NET Framework is required, though it might be, I'm not quite sure. You may also need to run the older titles as an administrator if they don't request elevation already, I just successfully ran Blast Chamber and Finger Panic without problems.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2019-04-08 16:07:31

Was trying to find the visual basic 6 depindicies but ah, not sure? Does someone have a link to it? Yeah, don't think I have 6 on my system.

2019-04-08 17:11:03

Downloading Swamp and running checkup.exe is one option, alternatively, a comprehensive package with many dependencies can be downloaded here.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2019-04-08 17:52:58

When running blast chamber, and keep in mind, I just install3ed all the visual  6 run time stuff from the link above and I get this. Error 432: File name or class name not found during Automation operation while loading file gameIntro. I've ran as administrator and ran in compatabillity mode and still the same thing. Really don't wanna have to install a VM just to ah, you know, play these. Lol. I will if I have to but there you go. Oh and I did ran checkup.exe found in my swamp dir as well.

2019-04-08 18:10:09

Jim Kitchen's winkit program works too.

2019-04-08 18:39:41

Blast Chamber should work if you go to the directory where it's installed using the command line. So cd to the directory, and then run pipe.exe. I learned about that trick from a topic on here a long time ago, although strangely, it had stopped working after the Fall Creator's update, or one of these Windows 10 updates which all sound the same, anyway. I decided to try installing all the BSC titles again just for shits and giggles last night, and I was amazed to find that they work again.

I'll see if I can find some copies of old DirectX setup files, it's the only thing I haven't tried to fix the error I'm encountering. The directory where they're installed shouldn't be an issue, I'm letting them go to Program Files (X86) which is what I've always done with games.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-04-08 18:42:43

Indeed. I got the games to install to it's default directory. Didn't change anything in the installer as far as that goes. Lol. And shit, quite forgot about command line stuff. I'll have to try and if it does indeed work, great. But there you go. I havn't tried installing an older version of directx as I don't have links for that either. Haha.

2019-04-08 20:55:16

hello.
Ok, so there is a much easier way of running pipe 2 and all the other bsc games under windows 10. I can confirm that this works, because I have tried it
When you download said game, install it to your documents folder or anywhere else on your pc. Be sure not to install it to your programs folder. Then, download the 7zip program and run it through that program using the 7zip file manager. If anyone would like me to do a recording of how I got this to work, please let me know.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2019-04-08 23:32:38

You may want to make a recording because I opened it inside 7 zip and it's not even popping anything up for shit. The only thing I get is how you want to open this file?

2019-04-08 23:36:58

Never mind I got it. Ah, yeah. my brain must have been a bit under itself today. I should have known. Lol. Yay easier.

2019-04-08 23:38:08

Wait, I'm confused. Are you saying that you extract the exe file that you've downloaded, and then play the game that way? That doesn't sound like it should work, not least because there would be no way to register the game then.

Anyway, I can confirm that installing DirectX did not solve my problem. I had installers for version 8 and some other SDK lying around. I'm not sure which version the SDK is exactly, but I think it might be 10. I made sure to reboot after I installed them, even though neither of them asked me to do that. Then, I used CCleaner to clear out dead registry entries, something I rarely do, although I'm not one of the fire and brimstone kind who insist that using a registry cleaner, as long as it's a reputable one, will irreparably damage your system. It's simply not necessary most of the time, but in a fringe case like this, I figured it couldn't hurt to try. I thought that maybe the games had left behind entries even though they had failed to completely install, but even after that, still no go. I'm completely out of ideas at this point. I may have to resign myself to setting up a VM, but considering that the games that won't run are small ones that I hardly ever play anyway, I doubt I'll go to all that trouble.

2019-04-09 00:26:32

Anyone wanna know how to do this correctly? I just finished this recording, not totally professional, but this, should help. And yes, registration does work with everything. For yall who wanna know how this is done, click the link below.
https://jonathancandler.com/random/runn … s%2010.mp3

2019-04-09 05:04:47

thanks for the recording.
@turtlepower: if you need any more help, let me know. It's easy to do once you figure it out. Someone told me about this originally, otherwise I would have never thought of doing it this way. I'm frankly confused as to why this works, but it does.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven