2019-04-04 21:49:21

But what if someone like Tmstuff000 says something like he did in post 15 of the stickied topic in the dev room, what would you think of that.
He's not just saying he doesn't like licensing, he's saying yaye! this makes it easier for us to do illegal stuff with this content!
Is that enough probable cause? Or is that just selfish and shitty behavior that is ultimately still just an opinion.

2019-04-08 13:08:39 (edited by Ghost 2019-04-08 13:10:41)

Sorry for late response. It is shitty behavior. However, has he directly encouraged anyone to do anything by providing tips, instructions, guides etc?  What he said is meerly a statement, without any actual  harm to anyone. Someone can go on the forum and say I love cracking x y z and leave it at that. This is their own opinion  and doesn't get the site in trouble  as long as he doesn't do more than that. This current practice is creating thought crimes, where the expression of a thought is the only crime commited.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2019-04-08 15:57:08

Read my moderation post. #17 in the dev room's list of sounds topic

1. Nothing saying he was expressing an opinion. "We", have an excuse to break it. That's him speaking for all of us, telling "us" what we can freely do.
2. Is this the precedent we wish to be setting here?
3. As a developer, anytime I might see a post such as that without repercussion I begin to have second thoughts about the community as a whole. Why should I take the time to advertise my work to a community who evidently finds it Okay to shit all over my hard work? We have a host of sound designers here and I'd hate for them to think we condone license violation.
4. Most importantly, the word of one goes a long way. When you make a claim offering no room for interpretation or adjustment, it doesn't matter. He phrased it as a fact. this could imply, to someone who might not really know any better, that he was well informed. That they were in the right for doing the same.

According to the above, added on to an overwhelming agreement of folks on the moderation list, as well as multiple reports here, I believe beyond the shadow of a doubt that I acted rightfully. If anyone thinks differently, feel free to make your voice heard. I jumpt into this topic a bit late and have since attempted to slightly revise my approach.

2019-04-08 17:31:11

He has encouraged it is the and he's asked for cracks constantly.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-04-08 22:50:52 (edited by Ghost 2019-04-08 22:51:23)

28, but the way he expressed it didn't add  any new knowledge to anyone. Everyone   theoretically knew that any agreement can be broken. It is an extremely vague and broad statement not offering anything at all. And don't forget that his  native language is Persian if I recall correctly, so the way he phrased it may be affected by his native language. Of course his past record makes it more likely to come up with other interpertations.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2019-04-09 03:50:44

tmstuff000 wrote:

@14, The licencing not being there is not a problem, it's good, because we have an excuse to break it.

Best regards
T-m

He's not saying the license not being there leaves the possibility for it to be broken. He's saying "we can break it". We "can", as in are allowed to. As in it's completely okay. As in zero legal or moral complications involved. I tend to disagree, this isn't an empty obvious statement. He's attempting to tell us what we "can" do. I guess it depends on your interpretation of "can", but given his post history are you able to give me a single reason I'd want to go with the benefit of the doubt?

2019-04-09 13:14:45

He's been warned I think somehwere around 8 times for talking about cracks... I'm pretty sure all of them were good.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-04-09 18:34:25

31, still the possibility of the language barrier exists. Some constructions, for example are not  found in Turkish, or using certain  words doesn't always add the entailment of no  consiquences or acceptability. Though his past record does put this into doubt.

2019-04-09 19:24:59

The thing is, I think the language barrier is the biggest thing people exploit here. Yes, the forum is meant to be accommodating to all, but this particular leniency that goes along with language barrier seems to be stretched by certain users. he certainly knows enough English to know what no, and stop mean. he has demonstrated a lack of caring and of respect for developers and their right to protect their works. At some point, sorry to say, but the benefit of the doubt runs out, as there is little doubt regarding the intention.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-13 03:03:08 (edited by defender 2019-04-13 03:04:56)

That and if you can't read and understand the rules than you shouldn't use the service, particularly when it states right in signup that this is an English forum.

I can see the point about how words can be used wrong by people who are still learning, but that doesn't apply at all to this situation, and for others a warning can easily be reversed if the person then makes an effort to explain them selves.

2019-04-13 06:00:53

Yes, ignorance isn't an excuse, if someone doesn't understand, they have every right to ask questions, but funnily enough, no one ever does.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-13 19:05:05

Ignorance, arguably, is an excuse in certain situations. If you lack certain info and are called to task for it, maybe you had no idea that there was a problem at all. Example for the sake of thoroughness, even if it's silly: you routinely hang around on the south side of a huge, fenced building with no signage. There's a gate on this side, and at some point, the ball you and your friends are kicking around zips over the fence. Well, you go and stroll in the gate and grab your ball. Next thing you know, you're being jumped for trespassing even though the gate was open and there was no "no trespassing sign". That sign was on the north side of the building where you had never been before.
Again, silly example, but the point is that sometimes you can be reasonably believed not to have known something was wrong. A greater-picture perspective is necessary before saying "ignorance is not an excuse".

That said, it doesn't apply here. Not at all. Even if you want to use the language barrier argument - which I don't buy in this instance, by the way - the user has had almost a dozen brushes with this problem, and past a certain point, the exact wording he used really isn't the point. The point is that he has shown a cavalier attitude toward cracking, and is trying to encourage others to do the same thing. This isn't okay, and this is why he got banned. If this had been the first ever brush with the whole cracking issue for a given user, then okay, yeah, totally different story. I might have issued a caution for it, or at least stepped in to say "Hey, actually, no, that's kinda not how that works". But this was another good-faith thing. It's pretty clear what Tmstuff was up to.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-04-16 15:36:33 (edited by Ethin 2019-04-16 15:37:25)

OK... so a user posted a post and I replied in this one, and now its gone. So I've removed my reply. Yeah....

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github