2019-04-06 04:19:16 (edited by amerikranian 2019-04-07 19:30:07)

No, you're not living 8 million years later. You're still in here and now. However, you're looking at a half broken, half working product that is made by me, Amerikranian.
What is it?
An escape room!
While it does not offer any rooms to play, it does offer you an ability to create your own escape rooms, hence why I'm releasing it here. I hope we can see some interesting rooms built by people on this forum.
Or, you know, you could just forget about this and leave to play more exciting stuff, after all, who fancys placing items and coming up with puzzles?
Let me know what you think and or about any bugs you may find. Keep in mind that I'm new to python, and thus, the more information you're able to get, the better chance of me finding the bug and fixing it.
Again, I am sorry about no rooms being available by default, but I just didn't have time. This was half of an assignment for school, and it was due today. And on top of it all I have 2 exams that I'm gonna have to write  essays for next week so... I'd rather release it and see what you'll come up with, because we all know that what I come up with usually pisses people off.
For those who find that the first link doesn't work, try this one and let me know if you have issues.

2019-04-06 04:36:10

Sounds fun,
Will check it out

2019-04-06 04:51:41

i am trying to download this thingy, but internet download manager is taking over this download, and it is not downloading it, can any buddy upload it on dropbox or google drive?

2019-04-06 15:35:09

@3, you can find the link by going here. I've updated the first post to reflect this.

2019-04-06 15:59:58 (edited by amerikranian 2019-04-06 16:51:49)

Sorry for the double post:
I have been alerted that my text input was broken, and thus was forced to fix it. I told you, the project  wasn't quite ready by it's due date, heh.
Now the game shouldn't crash when using your speech history. Attention! If you're holding down shift and you let go but you're started to be spammed by speech messages, press shift again. It would seem that Pygame has some flawed detection systems.
We now save the step count per room as well. Technically I should have done that a long long time ago but oh well... I figured nobody would use that, boy was I wrong...

2019-04-06 19:23:25

this sounds fun! Let's see what devious deathtraps people come up with!

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2019-04-06 23:48:05

Hey man, nice job. This is an extremely cool concept and I'm looking forward to see what you manage to do with it.

A couple initial suggestions.

• You can remove the python source from accessible_output2 as well as sound_lib. Just keep the lib directory around.

• Complain when the user enters a non-existent sound path

• Maybe make a camera of sorts that allows the player to see a hazard and where it's located relative to his position. In many mainstream games this would be pretty obvious. Additionally press a key to hear what items are in rough proximity to you.

• Maybe add jumping. I don't really know if an escape room has ever made you jump up and down for some reason or how realistic you'd like to make the game, but hey. It could be pretty kick ass anyway if, for example, you needed to skirt an object or something. I dunno.

• The ability to delete an item... Maybe I'm just missing something?

• the ability to exit a room and return to the main menu. Escape doesn't seem to work

• alt+f4 as well

• Maybe the ability to create walls, or just boundaries that span a certain length. You could pick up an item that destroys the wall

• A room uploader that allows players to share their creations. Make sure you have to approve submissions though. You could expand this idea and create a scoreboard of sorts.

• Encrypt both a room file and the sounds that go with it. Instead of a sounds folder, maybe have a rooms folder. The hierarchy would look like rooms/, rooms/test.rm, rooms/test/, rooms/test/*.ogg, etc. Then in the main menu, an option to release room which would create test.erm (escape room). This would protect sounds so others couldn't use them.

• In addition, make a flag or something that doesn't allow the user to view or modify the room. So if I create a room, pack it in the menu, and release here people could just modify it to get to the desired destination. There goes the challenge.

• Realistic travelpoints that could allow for transporting to another room or just a different section of the map

• Maybe make a list of flags as opposed to having the user enter one manually.

2019-04-07 01:24:45 (edited by amerikranian 2019-04-07 01:26:14)

@7, I'll go through your suggestions in order, numbering each:
1: Thanks for the tip, noted and tested, everything works as expected, will be in the next release.
2: The game should do it already, when you close the build menu you'll be told if any sound files for the items are missing.
3: I'm not sure what you mean by that, there aren't any hazards per say. If you could explain a bit more what you mean by your suggestion that'd be great. The sonar is also an interesting idea, I'll play around with it and see what I can do, I didn't add it because I thought that the users could use sounds to alert the player of items, but this way we can have silent and thus more secret items.
4: The suggestion is great, and I like it, except I'd need to actually create maps for it to detect the objects and jumping. As far as I know, there is no jumping required in any escape rooms, all the items that you need can be reached on the ground, but that's still an interesting thought.
5: You aren't. This again is the example of idiocy. I'll add it in the next version (probably tomorrow). As of now you'll have to save and edit the resulting .txt file.
6/7: Noted and added, it's an oversight on my part.
8: That's an interesting idea. I dono how fast I can add boundaries but I'll consider doing so. It's an interesting idea to toss around, that's for sure.
9: I'm a little nervous with encrypting files. I don't want players to give up on the rooms because others made it too difficult. If they truly struggle, they can look at the rooms, though they will do so with the full understanding that they're ruining their gameplay. Good point about sounds, unfortunately I'm gonna need some assistance. I barely know anything about encrypting files, let alone folders.
10: Kind of ties in with the first part of number 9. If a player wants to modify rooms, so be it. It's their own downfall.
11: Point noted and will be worked on, though when I'll accomplish the task is another matter.
12: Point noted and added. I did find it slightly annoying to have to remember every flag, especially if the list is gonna get bigger.

2019-04-07 04:15:03

2. I meant after you press enter, personally I'd like a warning of sorts. If you mean the path being spoken whenever you load the map, there's not much to go off of. Maybe add a bit of descriptive text then? Could've fooled me.
3. Yeah a sonar would work.
4. Working off this idea a bit, it might be cool if you'd need to climb to get somewhere. I honestly don't know if you're aiming for complete realism / a simulation or not. If this is the case, scrap the idea entirely. The escape room I went to had no real physical obstacles such as climbing... But hey it's code and you can do whatcha want. Personally I'd say they probably don't have these sorts of things on purpose and for a reason that's far from financial. Seriously. Those places are hella expensive. But I digress.
9. Cryptography is a pain inducing art. I'd say you'd want something basic. Don't waste your time attempting to devise the next advanced encryption standard... Just something good enough to where 90% of attackers would hit a stone wall.

Another seed of an idea, it might be cool to give the user the ability to define random probabilities for given events. This would translate across the entire game, possibly eventually leading to maize generation or the like. This way you could have records for completion of each room, creating an element of competition. When it comes to this sort of thing customization is really the name of the game, pretty sure you know this since what we have here allows for a great deal of expansion.

2019-04-07 08:28:09

Awesome suggestions Carter; just one thing.
A couple means two.

big_smile

2019-04-07 08:58:09

Hi there.
This is an interesting project
Feel free to tell me if you need help with the pack creation. I would be glad to help with that.
With pack creation I mean, helping you create a submission system.

Paul

2019-04-07 19:34:15 (edited by amerikranian 2019-04-07 19:38:56)

Alright, so I've just posted an update to the game, the links are in the same post, and the only one that really changed is tinyupload one.
There's a changelog in the folder if you're wondering what's new, but the major thing is that your files won't work with this version. I'm sorry, but it had to be done for secondary items to spawn properly with the flag list that Carter suggested.
On a slightly more annoyed note, I didn't realize that python had a logging module. If this doesn't work out and you are still getting double outputs I will switch to the logger and use that from now on.
@9: I don't think I'll add random probabilities because I didn't design the game to accept random events when I coded the main frame. If you want randomness, just wait for a bit, you'll have it... and wish you hadn't. Heh.
@11 and in part Carter: I didn't really respond to the uploader system so I'll do so now. I don't know a lot about network in python, though I can't imagine it being difficult for the process you suggest. Thing is I'll need a server to do it on and that may be difficult to find.

Again, let me know if any issues occur.

2019-04-07 22:03:22

What jyou need right now is a maybe web server. You don't necessarily need to learn how to use sockets. And again, I am willing to help you in the process. as for a server, there are free options around. Let me know if you're interested though.

Paul

2019-04-07 22:20:03

I am interested in learning, yes. You can send a forum e-mail or post on here, your choice

2019-04-08 16:31:54 (edited by keithwipf1 2019-04-08 20:28:40)

I actually started making a Python packfile module with encryption and even compression.
So far, it works nicely, but when you try to extract data from the pack it returns bytes. That said, it does work, but an easy to add extraction method doesn't exist.
If I finish it soon I can give it to you. It's not very hard to use.
Then you can pack up you're room data and sounds with it and store it all in one file.
Edit: I decided to release the pack code.
https://forum.audiogames.net/post/425669/#p425669

2019-04-08 19:18:02

I do have a packfile on my github if you're interested.
pypackfile

Paul

2019-04-08 19:23:01

amerikranian, I've sent you a PM

Paul

2019-04-08 20:33:01 (edited by amerikranian 2019-04-08 20:33:18)

@15, I'll be interested in looking at it when you're done, that's for sure.
@16, I looked in the readme, and why can't you pad the data for the key? You said that it has to be 16 or 32 bytes long, so just pad it in case the user enters a short one. I'm pretty sure the module you're using for encryption has the padding  methods. Also, I replied to the PM
On a slightly more amusing and concerning note, I'm a bit worried that you haven't found any bugs yet. I have received 2 reports so far, and all of them were fixed in this version.
I'm also planning to add boundaries and warping of the player in the next version (probably this weekend, as that is when I'll be done with my tests)

2019-04-08 21:13:58

I certainly could do that.

Paul

2019-04-08 21:18:30

@18
I actually did release that pack.
It's kind of a concept, though extracting sounds from it worked like a charm.
Go to post 15 and look for the link.
I edited the post, apparently after you read it.