2019-04-06 06:08:10

Recently, I've noticed many of the same questions being asked and figured hey, why not post a link here and provide a friendly, mostly accurate, convenient, always up to date list of answers. so here goes

2019-04-06 06:28:31 (edited by Ethin 2019-04-06 06:28:41)

Yep, this is definitely the answer to most of the repetitive questions on here.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-04-06 08:51:20

I feel like I'm an enabler because people are like I need this, and it's like the first thing on Google, or within the top 3, and I just do it because its quick to get it and post the link. I hate that kind of laziness though, seriously? People literally can't google something... What a world lol. When I was in school, you had books. You had a card catalog you had to go digging through to find the book you needed, then you read through said book to find the answers to your questions. Now, you have the internet and people are too lazy to use it.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-06 15:37:54

ahahahahahaha. True @cartertemm. You nailed it

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2019-04-06 15:40:22

@1, thanks for that, I needed some laughter in my world.
On another note, I do think there should be a FAQ for most common questions. If not for all coding languages then for BGT. That way if somebody asks a question like "How do I create a saving game feature" which is in the language tutorial we could just tell them to read the FAQ.
I'd create the FAQ myself, except of the following:
1: My writing is awful! Nobody wants to suffer through it, right?
2: I know very little about BGT.
3: It will take time, which I do not possess enough of to write a guide for something I'm not gonna use.

2019-04-06 20:08:36

Well, to be honest, if someone didn't bother reading the manual or search google, why would they read our FAQ? I do agree there should be an FAQ just to point to most resources, the same set-up as the list to get sounds topic, but we should not be trying to answer every question that can be found in a manual. If, we also add a question to the faq: "What if my question isn't listed here?" and give as answer search google, read the manual, then ask, and someone asks a question that can either be found on google or found in the manual we can just ignore it and they'll go away, hopefully. Now, however, google doesn't seem to include audiogames.net in it's search results quickly, so we end up duplicating information as soon as the older topic goes off the first page. True, you can use google to search only this site, but that might just be beyond the level of sheer stupidity.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2019-04-07 17:27:07

I like the idea of having a developer FAQ, since I have seen the same questions posted over and over on this forum, since I started lurking here two years ago.

@6 I dont understand your problems with the FAQ. Especially what is wrong with googling only this site. Why would that be sheer stupidity if the thing you are looking for directly relates to audio games. Also, audiogames.net not showing up on google is false. I have on multiple occasions google a audio game related topic and first result was a relevant AG forum thread.

2019-04-07 17:54:44

@6:

regarding google search results, I didn't mean to say that audiogames.net is excluded from google, just that it isn't very prominent in most cases. Try searching for "developing audiogames" and you'll see what I mean, we're basically not listed. Also try searching "developing audiogames site:audiogames.net", and the search results are not so fantastic (in my original post I assumed they would be better). What I ment by level beyond sheer stupidity is that if someone has read the manual and searched google, they have clearly tried somewhat to answer there own question. So in that case, posting a topic about it in my opinion is completely justified since the answer you'll get won't be "search it on google". So not searching for "<question> site:audiogames.net" does not mean you fall in the same category as the non-googlers and people that don't read the manual, that was all I ment to say. ON the contrary, I think a FAQ is a very good idea (see site & forum feedback), made a topic about it.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2019-04-15 15:57:01

This is great. I love it.

You can follow me on twitter @s_luttrell and an almost never used Facebook account at skluttrell.