2019-04-01 05:29:04

There is a girl in a facebook group about guidedogs I am a part of who writes like this.

hi i hope you all are having a good day well today me and my dog we were walking and this lady while we were walking came up to us and started talking to my dog while we were walking and i didn't know what to do to get her to stop because like we came to the street while we were walking and my dog she's a good girl she still managed to stop at the curb and this lady she like grabbed me and tried to tell me when it was okay to go and do you guys have any advice on how to stop this thanks

She had no capitalization, no punctuation, and every time I see her posts I have to stop myself from commenting, "If you used proper grammar, I would be more inclined to answer your question."

thanks,
Michael

2019-04-01 06:08:53

Dictation usually makes messages come out like that.

When I'm posting to a forum, I write in a word processor and spell check before pasting the message into the browser.

When I'm messaging, I hope that what I'm writing makes sense, and if I'm not sure of how a word is spelled, I can easily ask siri.

Most of the time, it spells words correctly, except when it comes across words that sound the same, but have different spelling.

It can't tell the difference between two, to and too, but that's to be expected, it is a machine after all.

Now, to hit spell check on this and send, and if there's any misspellings, blame Jarte.

2019-04-01 07:29:37 (edited by musicalman 2019-04-01 07:30:07)

Hahaha someone else who writes forum posts in a word processor and spell checks. I don't do it every time I post but if I'm worried I'm misspelling things, I will.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2019-04-01 08:09:41

I don't usually draft my posts in a word processor unless I think I'm going to write something particularly controversial, and need to sit on whatever it is I want to say for awhile so that I don't get myself banned. The vast majority of the time, I just proofread as I go. When I write particularly long posts, though, I make sure to copy them to the clipboard before hitting the submit button, just in case something goes screwy and the post doesn't make it to the site in question. I've gotten burned by that a few times. I'm known for my walls of text, and there's nothing more disheartening than pouring a lot of effort into a well-thought-out post, only to have it get lost because of some stupid fluke that might be plaguing the site at the time.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-04-01 19:01:56 (edited by musicalman 2019-04-01 19:02:46)

Yeah I write long walls of text very often too and ironically, it's on this forum where I have to be especially careful. I learned the hard way that the forum ends up logging me out before I finish my text, and when I log back in, the text is nowhere to be found so I have to be sure I copied it somewhere else, so I can paste it back in and submit again.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2019-04-03 04:48:39

Okay, I agree with a lot of people here, lack of braille, and dictation, make spelling and grammar go down the towlet. Erm, toilet.
I know people high up in the blindness community who write terrible sentances with missing words and no commas and no proof reading with braille and just do it quick and send it out because they got stuff to do right?

One thing that I think is missed though, is that braille displays are good, but very easily broken. I have a 3 or so year old Vario Ultra 20, the "best in class" when I got it, but which now has around 5 dots that don't work. Now, if I could get the Braille Extender addon on NVDA to skip those cells with the broken dots, things could be okay. But no, that's just not an option, and the person I talked to about it just regurgitated "yeah you can say right margin of cells." Yeah, I know that, but how would you like having only 6 cells of good readable braille? You'd like that? Well, too bad because that doesn't even work for some reason. Want this Vario Ultra? No? Didn't think so.
So really, when i get a new display, which I'm not even sure which one I should get because I don't want a freaking $3000000 display, for all purposes, breaking in 3 years, I'm not even sure I'd use it that much because I'd be afraid that it'd break in the middle of me reading a good book, like the third Stormlight Archive book by brandon Sanderson.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2019-04-04 00:19:18

In theory, the Orbit Reader shouldn't be as breakable. I really wish I could see one so that I'd know if it was worth saving up for.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-04-04 02:18:41

This may be an unpopular opinion and I apologize, but...

If someone has a computer, can use said computer, and doesn't have some sort of mental disability that keeps them from learning, they have no excuse for not looking up how to spell things properly. Google is your friend. Dictionary.com is your friend. Any program with some basic spell-checking functionality is your friend. If you encounter a word using a screen reader and don't know how to spell it, reading character by character is your friend. I don't care if someone was never taught Braille and only reads using speech. There is absolutely no excuse but laziness or mental disability with all the technology we have.

To anyone who said they were never taught but are trying to learn on their own, I salute you. For anyone who has a mental disability that makes things difficult, I say do your best. For those who just say “Well I never learned so I can't spell,” I say stop being lazy and use your technology to learn instead of letting it hold your hand.

Does Braille help? Absolutely. Is it necessary? Not if you have the willingness to learn with speech. It can be done. Punctuation is another issue and Braille will help with that as well. If you're intent on learning, there are many pages on the internet about proper grammar and punctuation.

So, in closing, is lack of proper education in schools to blame? Sure, but so is the lack of self-education. There is so much we can do to learn on our own.

2019-04-04 02:37:20

Playing devil's advocate here, why would someone take the time to learn how to spell if this technology can, and will, hold their hand? Laziness is an epidemic, so they'd need to have a very intense motivation to fix something that they very well may not feel is broken. Also, something as personal as how one presents themselves, even in writing, can illicit strong defensive reactions. If somebody won't get help for an alcohol problem, for example, even if it's visibly destroying their life, what in the world makes you think that someone will change their spelling and grammar habits just because the internet can help them to do it? The internet can also enable them to stay comfortable in their habits, just like liquor stores can enable alcoholics to stay in theirs.

I'd like to agree with your opinion, and on a purely primal level, I do. In fact, in my less than ideal moments, I've made fun of people for not spelling basic things right, and have taken someone's points less seriously if they couldn't be bothered to lay them out for me in a neat, understandable fashion. But let's be real here. Nobody wants to better themselves if somebody is always cleaning up behind them, even if that somebody is just the faceless mass we call the internet. You can justify anything, no matter how foul, if you try hard enough to find your niche there.

2019-04-04 03:48:05

@Turtlepower:
Fun fact, and I only mention this because you're fastidious:
There's a difference between elicit and illicit. The former is a verb, the latter is an adjective.
"His reaction elicits a greater response than expected" versus "Selling illicit material is not a good idea".
This one hung me up for years, actually, because I thought it was the same damn word, just English doing its thing.

But on a primal level, I, too, have to catch myself shaking my head at people who don't bother learning how to spell. Or rather, I used to do this a lot and have kicked myself so that I stopped. Because laziness is a real problem, and it's not getting any better, that's for sure. I don't think it will ever completely not bother me, though, when I play AA and I see a gossip message like this:
"How do I find the speerit stone in the honted hills? I keep getting attacked by goasts and stuff and my soard won't hit them. Halp!
Just...ugh. Nails. Chalkboard.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-04-04 04:12:26

Well, I'll be damned, I honestly did not know there was a difference between those two words. I'll definitely keep that in mind, although it will take me a little while to get it straight in my head. See, I'm not perfect, and I'll readily admit that.

2019-04-04 05:28:10

Likewise. I wasn't attempting to pick on you either. I take no pleasure in correcting someone's spelling, but sometimes we really don't know, and since that one hung me up I thought maybe it'd got you too.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-04-04 06:42:54

I read a lot of fanfiction, and most of those appear to be rushed.

The ones that do have a good story could easily be fixed by proofreading before posting to the site it's hosted on.

Funnily enough, one of the better Harry Potter Fanfiction stories I read in quite some time was written by a blind person, and that story hardly had any mistakes.

So bad spelling isn't just in the blind comunity, it appears to be everywhere these days.

Now, I'm going to go slightly off topic and ask, why do some posts on here somehow translate to braille symbols?

I've noticed it in a few posts and the only way to decipher them is by reading it slowly using the cursor keys and using your knowledge of braille to translate the text.

I'm wondering what a sighted person sees when they come across those posts.

I'd give examples, but I can't think of any posts that have them off the top of my head.

Sorry for going off topic, it's just something that I've noticed on here from time to time.

2019-04-15 10:13:37 (edited by flyby chow 2019-04-15 10:16:05)

hi Jayde,this reply is some what all around the bush.
things may have been said before. As I did not yet red all the way through. I'll give you my personal findings here.

Sadly, spelling is a issue that I really wish I could fix. the major reason for me having the spell issue is because.
as some one had mentioned, sighted people sees huge amount of texts flying by daily. so they get a feel for if something's not spelt correctly. for me as a blind individual, I have to remember the spelling of each word.
sadly, since I do not have access to Braille the way to see words is forgotten. this impacts my ability to know when or ware to put commas and other grammar stuff.
It does not mean by any means that I'm not intelligent, thus, sadly we get judged by our spelling.
I fondly remember my English teachers words. She said to me.
the best way you'll know how to be able to spell is to read, read, read.
That is so true.
Sadly spell checkers is my friend.
But if, there is any way I can figure out how to better my spelling, I'll be all for it.
It is all about memorization you see, and that is, sadly ware screen readers cannot help us out.
One of my sighted friends once asked me something, that gave me a good old chuckle.
he asked. is there no way you can let your screen reader spell every word as it reads along?
I smiled at that and told him. had it done that. I'd still be reading by tomorrow morning. :d.
the only thing I can suggest to the lucky ones out there is this.
if you got access to books. read allot.
feel how things are spelt.
In my late stage in life. I don't have much time to reed. but wish I did.
Perhaps some day, I'll get a cheep Braille display and in that way begin to see how things should be spelt.
I'm always open to suggestions. but for now.
Spell checkers my friend. I've given this some thought and I think a braille display would be the way to go.
Nothing to fancy, as longs its got bluetooth to connect to the laptop I use. if it can be portible, i'm all for it. since that is a must have

There's a place for me in this universe.

2019-04-16 01:33:05

@63, yeah, fanfiction is pretty famous for being sloppy, but tripe like Fifty Shades of Grey started out as fanfiction, remained riddled with errors, to say nothing of the damaging messages it contains, and still gained a ravenous following. yet a blind person's spelling is picked over with a fine-toothed comb in some circles. Chew on that for awhile.