2019-03-26 00:01:00

Hi.
I apologize for mistakes, but I do not know English very well and that's why I use machine translation when writing this post.
First, thanks for all you videos and first project which makes possibility to write audiogames by non programmers! This is absolutely wonderfull!
You write that you can manually add a reverb to the sounds and ready to throw in the game. This is the simplest way out, but it causes a huge increase in the size of the game. Let us assume that the same enemies can be found, for example, in the woods, in dungeons, in a large hall, in an apartment, in a parking lot and. in the tavern. For each of these places you have to create the same sounds with different reverbs, so there are tonns of sounds in the game, which could be largely absent if Sable had a built-in reverb. The bigger problem will be the sounds that should change the location, because the reverb will also change the location. For example, being in the dungeons passing the sound tag on the right, this marker will also have its reverberation only on the right side, which is really annoying. This can also be done by playing two sounds at once, one without reverb in the panorama, the other with reverb always in the middle, but it is again another megabytes added to the game.
There are libraries like Openall, which have the ability to create various types of sound effects. Maybe there is a chance to add one of them to Sable?
Another example of making the game more attractive is HRTF, or the impression of surround sound in the headphones. In this way, you can create sounds reaching the listener from above, in the back, etc. Openall also has the ability to implement something like that.
The last but not the least important effect can be the filtering of sounds depending on the distance. In the real world, when you approach the sound source, the sound is getting brighter, that is, it contains more and more high frequencies. Likewise, if you move away, the sound becomes darker, so high frequencies gradually disappear. This could also be a very nice feature that would make the world created in the game really very realistic.

2019-03-26 22:59:35

Hi

@number 176, huge thanks for the post, really pleased to hear you’re enjoying the video series. Some really interesting points about sound usage, I’ll check out the resources you mentioned, plus in the next meeting with our sound engineer I’ll mention the points you raise too.    if you’ve got an interest in sounds, , our  sound designer  has been talking about doing a video series on sound design, if you’re interested I’ve put a link to the topic below:

https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/2787 … gn-course/

again, thanks for the positive  feedback.

The Ebon Sky Studios Team
email: [email protected]
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/ebonskystudios/
Twitter: @ebonskystudios

2019-03-27 00:58:12

Hey there lem.
I have a question.
So while listening to your sable videos, I am extremely empressed and you have my support. I did notice though that it uses SAPI for voice. So is it going to be able to use screen reader at some point? I'm just curious. I love it either way and a tiny thing like SAPI won't stop me from supporting, I'm just asking because sometimes I find screenreader to be smoother.

-
"There is beauty in simplicity."

2019-03-28 12:07:14

Hi,

@ number 178, thanks for the post, really pleased to hear you are enjoying the video series so far. With regards to your question about TTS, Sable doesn’t support screen readers, so it does  rely on SAPPI for TTS. Again, thanks for the positive  comments, its really great to see people excited about the project.

2019-03-29 02:21:55

Hay Lemm, I'm not trying to bug you, but you usually put up these videos a week or so apart, and it's been more than a week since video 8 went up.
So, where's the final video?
Did something come up?
If so, no worries. I eagerly await the final video!
Later!

2019-03-29 15:02:26

lemm wrote :Hi,
@ number 178, thanks for the post, really pleased to hear you are enjoying the video series so far. With regards to your question about TTS, Sable doesn’t support screen readers, so it does  rely on SAPPI for TTS. Again, thanks for the positive  comments, its really great to see people excited about the projecthey  it wood nice  sabel have nvda support  for  makeing games and   ingame interface supported by nvda  , and sapi borth cause  most  people like sapi or  nvda  so  nvda is  more  fiel  nice with audiogame .

2019-03-29 17:51:12

Hi everyone,

@number 180, thanks for the post, its great to see people excited about the next video. Although the last video came out a week after the last one, that was because I had to split the video into two parts, so didn’t want to keep people waiting too long  for the second part. Usually we release each new video two weeks apart on a Monday. I was planning to record  the next video somewhen this weekend, , I’ll then convert it from an audio file to a actual video with the Ebon Sky Studios logo and then should hopefully  upload the video on Monday.
@number 181. Thanks for the post, I completely appreciate some people do prefer screen readers over SAPPI, however Sable does only support SAPPI at present, whether screen reader support will make it into a future release, Sadly I just can’t say.

As ever thanks to everyone for all the positive  comments.

2019-03-29 18:02:04

vao lame nice to here  it . but you know  screen reader support thruetoke or  nvda have good a p i  to  games support  thats y i telling  screen reader  support wil much more fun with sabel engin  sapi only usable with windows 8 and lator  but sappi dont have many things like  nvda have . so  thats y people  fiel good with nvda . it wood  so nice  your going to ad  support for it  bt sapi and nvda  borth wil good

2019-03-29 18:47:57

I have a question
what scripting language sable use to create games?

2019-03-30 03:10:15

It doesn't use one, as Sable is designed to allow a person; with no programming knowledge; to be able to create a fully playable RPG game.
I must stress, this means what the main-stream gaming world calls a console RPG, or a Japanese RPG.
These games include, in no particular order;
Environments where characters move about in no less than 4 directions and no more than 8, from an overhead view.
Airships; or other methods of flight are present, but this only allows the same movement options, just at a different height.
Battles are turn-based, and randomly triggered, unless you're flying.
The character can interact with objects in the game fields; weather they be items, chests NPCs (non-player characters), etcetera.
These games usually consist of one or more overworld maps that can also contain submaps to explore, such as towns, castles, dungeons, etcetera.
The main character can usually form a party of other characters to explore with; though you can still just have a party of one.
A 'story to follow to its conclusion, though I use that term loosely.
I'm not to sure about the story scenes, as Lemm hasn't shown off how those work, and are coded, but everything else on this list are things Sable does vary well.
Later!

2019-04-01 21:31:41

Hi Everyone,

We’ve just uploaded the next video in the series. Although I know I did say this video would be a play through of everything we’ve created , but when it came to record the play through I realized I was missing a couple of important things. So this video isn’t the play through, but instead shows item creation and some enemy amendments, but I do promise the next video after this one will definitely be the play through. The link  to the video is below:

https://youtu.be/XMZAY_ayUuE

Hope you all enjoy the video

2019-04-01 23:31:57

Thanks Lemm! Very cool video! I am waiting for the next one!

2019-04-02 07:31:14

Hi.
THanks a lot for the continues work on this fantastic project.
Accept for the amazing videos you are making, is the project then going as planned? It sounds like the game creation tool works as it should, and sounds like lots of different games already can be made out of what works so far. Therefore, it would be great to hear more about the generel status of the project, and the first game you are working on, which is going to be made just by using the creation tool.
Keep up the fantastic job guys.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-04-02 10:17:03 (edited by threeblacknoises 2019-04-02 12:36:28)

Hay Lemm, vary cool video, as always.
I'd end this post with keep up the good work, but this last video has brought up a concern.
I noticed that you had to completely delete the trigger event for the dragon's lair in order to change it.
With everything else in the creater being editable, it struck me as a bit odd that you couldn't just bring up the properties of the event and add or change things.
I mean, all you did was add a cutscene, and that seems like it'd be pretty easy to do as an edit.
A few questions regarding audio:
What audio formats does Sable support? EG, mp3, wav, ogg etcetera.
Does Sable allow for an intro and loop system?
Example; I have a song I want to seamlessly loop, but it has and intro as well.
Is their any way I can lable one file as the intro and another as just the main song? EG, without the intro suffix.
That way, Sable could just append the loop to the intro so it would be seemless.
Also, something else I need to point out.
I understand holehartedly that sable doesn't support an external scripting language of any kind, and that's totally fine, but I've got a feeling that most of the things this community would want a scripting language for can already be accomplished within Sable itself.
To that end; and this is only a suggestion mind you, their could be some kind of test version that people can download, perhaps for a limited time, that would allow all these people complaining about scripting and the like, to be able to create and submit to you, examples of situations in which Sable can't accomplish something they want done; within the confines of an RPG of course.
In this way, it'd be possible to get even more feedback on what all this tool needs to be able to do upon completion, as well as finally; once and for all; shutting up all these people complaining about a lack of scripting in Sable when it can; or will be able to; do all they want upon release.
You might even be able to make a sort of contest out of it, and allow the most creative person that submits something to you to win a coppy of Sable once it's released.
You could even do a stream; of sorts; where you show; using samples submitted to you along with the reasons why they can't get something done; how a person could get Sable to do what they want.
Well, that's just an idea anyway...
Now, I'll say... Keep up the good work!
Later!

2019-04-04 00:33:50 (edited by lemm 2019-04-04 00:39:29)

Hi everyone,

thanks for all the posts, below are a few replies:
@ number 187, huge thanks for the positive  comments, it’s great to see people like yourself excited about the project and the videos.
@ number 188, as ever thanks for the continued support of the project, the positive comments are all really appreciated and pleased to hear you’re still enjoying the videos. Yes, everything’s all going well with the project, we’re all busy working away on Crimson Eclipse, and as soon as we have more details to share about that project we’ll be sure to post them, but we’re just not quite at that stage yet.
@ number 189. Thanks for the positive comments and pleased you enjoyed the video. It’s actually a really good point you make about the event trigger, I guess I’ve not had to make many amendments to these in the past, which may be why I didn’t think of it whilst I was building the object editor tool. but you’re right having an editor for trigger events would definitely make amendments quicker, especially  since we have editors for everything else. so thanks for the suggestion. As for audio formats Sable currently supports OGG and WAV file types. Intro and looping systems aren’t currently possible in sable. There are some interesting ideas in your post regarding testing, so a huge thanks for the suggestions. It’s a little too soon for us to be discussing  testing though,  since we’re just not quite at that stage yet. As soon as we do need testers though we’ll be sure to let the community know here and on our social media pages too.

As ever huge thanks to everyone who’s watched the video

2019-04-04 00:37:28

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to also give everyone an update on the Holman prize competition which we entered Sable into. Firstly, we just want to say a huge thanks to everyone who liked or shared our video,  to date it has received 1099 likes and was viewed over 4000 times, which is phenomenal . the deadline for likes was last week, and although we didn’t quite get enough likes to win the peoples vote and secure a place in the finals, our project has still however been selected as one of the semi finalists in the competition, which is fantastic news which we are all really excited about. We will be sure to post here to keep you up dated on whether we make it to the finals or not , which we should hopefully find out towards the end of next month. Again, a huge thanks to everyone for all the positive comments,  likes  and shares, all the support has been  truly appreciated by the whole team. If anyone hasn’t seen the video and wants to  check it out , I’ve put the link to the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbNOid8rejw

2019-04-04 15:52:05

rofls, i have created 5 accounts and watched and subscribed all the way tongue

2019-04-11 00:57:59

I just found these videos, and this is so exciting!
I want to see what kind of game I could make, before diving into learning all kinds of code, to see if it's even for me, and Sable sounds like the perfect starting point.
Best of luck on this endeavor, and all your games.

2019-04-15 17:42:33

Hi Everyone,

So the final video in the series is here, which is the play through of everything we’ve created in the last nine videos. Since it’s a play through its longer than usual, but I didn’t want to split it into two halves, so I just thought I’d let you all know this video is a little longer than the usual ones.  Link to the video is below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkoeuep09aA

We just want to also say as ever a huge thanks to everyone for all the support, and positive  comments, really has been great to hear so much excitement about the project. Hope you all enjoy the video.

2019-04-15 19:55:25

That's so exciting. I'm looking forward to trying Sable, to see what can I come up with it smile. Thanks so much for bringing this.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2019-04-15 20:06:02

can you abel to compile the game when you finished creating it, sorry for if someones asked that before

2019-04-15 23:29:51 (edited by lemm 2019-04-15 23:38:08)

Hi everyone,

@number 193 and 195, thanks for the posts and the positive  comments , it really is great to see people like yourselves so excited about Sable.
@number 196. Thanks for the post, its just a little too early to confirm details about compiling and packaging since Sable is still in its prototype stage, these kind of finer points will be detailed nearer to Sables release, at the moment all our focus is on our first game title which will give everyone a chance to see what Sable is capable of.

Thanks to everyone who’s already watched the video and all the positive comments.

2019-04-16 01:42:08

I wish you guys the best of luck in the future. I'm really looking forward to the game and the Sable engine, so keep up the good work.

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2019-04-16 07:02:21

Hi there. I am following this thread like a hawk. I love every video you guys put out. I can't wait to play your first title and get my hands on the Sable engine. I've had some really good RPG games in mind and feel that I can use this engine to finally make it or them come to life! Keep up the awesome work!

2019-04-16 10:41:53

Good work as always.
I'm glad to see the alpha's getting updates as the video series progresses.
We started at 1.59 and ended at 1.62, and that's only in a cupple of months!
I can't wait to try out your first game, and to test out the engine, once that becomes a thing.
Regarding what you created...
Yes their's no game balancing whatsoever, but it's a test/demo, so that's to be expected.
I did notice that when the dragon used its fire breath attack, the engine tried to play each damaging cry in succession.
It'd probably work better if all damage cries played at once.
The sapi announcement regarding the different damage for each character seemed to work fine, however.
The death scream for the male characters sounds a lot like Dirk the daring from dragon's Lair.
That's a really cool reference. just google up some video's on youtube if you have no idea what I'm talking about.
Going back to what I said previously regarding body fal sounds, this demo shows my point.
The dragon isn't a person! It's, well, a dragon, and it's heavy.
For specific event monsters that only appear in one situation and set location, you could just tell the engine to not include a body sound and build it into the monster's death sound effect.
For other situations, you could maybe develop a system where three blassses of body fall sounds can exist per area or tile, IE watter, stone, etcetera.
You could then classify monsters into the three types, light, average, or heavy, average being human and other creatures the same size.
This could also work for player characters if you wanted to code in, oh I don't know, something like a golem joining your party... for some reason or another...
One thing you didn't show off in your video series was how to code shops and the like.
Is that not emplemented yet?
Also, might it be possible to do things like combined an en keeper and a shop together?
If so, you could have just modified the en keeper so he'd offer his services after you completed his quest.
That way, you could at least buy potions from him and maybe rest to.
Well, those are just my thoughts...
Keep up the good work!
Later!