2019-03-27 01:12:28

As far as I've seen, there's no way for mods to see private messages that others send, after all they wouldn't be private.
We are still trying to figure out the context of "illegal material". Put it this way, I don't see YouTube links being punished. I am also not sure what is going to happen in regards to audio described content.

2019-03-27 06:18:16

This is also why you have seen me say on a couple of different occasions that if you're sent a link to something illegal, you should report it. Of course, if person 1 sends person 2 a link, and person 2 is totally okay with cracking or doing other illegal things, they're not going to report it.

But no. As far as I know, we cannot read your private messages.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-03-27 16:12:20

I would say until there has been a unanimous push for described content across all streaming providers (ahem, Apple TV+). Spoiler alert, I actually almost forgot the name of the service, that's how unexcited I was about the Apple event. lol!
Anyway, with so many streaming services not providing description, or just now providing description (Hulu), yet taking control of nearly all of the world's digital movie distribution, there is often no way for people to get described content apart from so-called illegal means. However, I do believe the described content falls under exception especially considering it is just the movie description audio that is posted. If it was actually illegal I'm half-convinced Blind mice would've been slapped with a takedown notice, especially considering they are a business (they don't make money off described content, but they are no personal website either).
But I digress as this is for a different topic altogether, but it was mentioned here so had to put in something about in response.

2019-03-29 18:17:46

Over the past few days I've been thinking about the situation where Mahdi-Abedi posted someone else's Skype ID. That topic had been deleted before I ever knew it existed, which opened up a totally different can of worms.

In these rules (post 1 of this topic), there's a list of things which could lead to punitive action, but which are not numbered rules in and of themselves. One of these items is the sharing of personal information of someone else without the permission of the person to whom the information is personal/private. Examples given are the real life name, street address, and phone number, but imho it needs to go further than that.

Email addresses, for one. Once an Email address is published here, it can at least in theory be harvested by spammers and other unfriendlies. In the topic in question, a Skype ID was posted. This is all well and good if that ID is readily available to anyone who wants it I.E. in the owner's signature, on their website which is publicly viewable or well known, etc. But imho if you are the kind of person who only gives this kind of information to certain people, people you trust, etc. or you're the kind of person who likes to stay hidden so every average Jo can't find you, you should have the right to expect all other forum members to respect that, and not go blabbing it all over the place. Same goes for Facebook, Twitter, etc.

I make no secret of the fact that my Twitter username is @jaybird110127 and anyone is welcome to follow me, mention me, etc. I might also have reason to put my Email address somewhere, knowing the risks I was taking. What I'd probably do is come up with a disguise which is easily reversible by humans, but will leave automated harvesting bots scratching their virtual heads in confusion. But if someone else outright posted my Email address out of the blue, I wouldn't be happy about it.

2019-03-29 18:30:31

For the record, I agree with you, and would come down very hard on any of this sort of info being leaked if it wasn't otherwise available. I thought that was implied. The list posted is not exhaustive, maybe it should be.

2019-03-29 19:52:17

I guess what made me think about this is, in the topic where this all came out, people were making a big deal about the personal attack as the rule violation being possibly stricken from existence by deleting the topic. In my opinion, the posting of that private Skype ID should be a violation right then and there, never mind the personal attacks that came afterward.

Nobody can account for every possible violation in a set of rules. If you even tried, you'd have to say something like, "You shall not post any private or personal identifying information about anyone else such as real names, addresses, telephone numbers, Email addresses, Facebook IDs, Twitter usernames, Skype IDs, or any other type of identification for any network or service, of every kind or nature imaginable, online or offline, whether it exists at the time this rule is being written or not." You can do all that, and there'll still be somebody who either doesn't get it, or deliberately ignores it.

2019-03-29 21:18:25

rules wrote:

Attempting to scam any forum user out of their personal details (passwords of any kind, address, personal social media details, etc.))

Seems pretty clear to me on the surface. Big picture is that someone apparently falsely accused of forking got their skype name revealed to the forum, so it is basically a dupe at the same time.

2019-03-29 22:50:34

Ah, righto. I did put that in there then.