2019-03-14 13:12:02 (edited by zakc93 2020-02-02 16:33:25)

A friend and I were working on this mod over the December holidays. We were planning on posting it when we finish, but now that we’re back at university that doesn’t really have a good chance of happening in the foreseeable future. So I decided to post it anyway, maybe someone else can keep working on it. The one thing we never got around to is any form of documentation, so I need to explain some stuff. But let me put the links first, then I'll explain everything below.
The mod itself: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g28h0zoodtu8a … n.zip?dl=1
Three maps we made for it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/44xc3k8teblcb … s.zip?dl=1

The keyboard commands for controlling units are not exactly the same as in default soundRTS. Because we have a bunch of units we decided to give each one its own key, to make finding a particular unit easier. So a particular unit only has one key dedicated to it, rather than two. The exception is workers, which use d and e.
I’ll start with soldiers (all units except for workers). Let’s take infantry which is on f as an example. Pressing f selects the next local infantry, i.e. the next infantry in the square you are currently on. Shift f selects the previous local infantry. Alt f selects the next infantry anywhere on the map, and shift alt f selects the previous infantry anywhere. Ctrl f selects all the local infantry (all the infantry in a particular square). Ctrl shift f selects all the infantry on the map. Alt control f selects all the idle local infantry, i.e. all the infantry in a particular square that aren’t currently doing anything (like moving somewhere). Alt ctrl shift f selects all the idle infantry on the map. These keys apply for all the other units as well, except for workers.
For workers, d selects the next local worker, while shift d selects the previous local worker. Alt d selects the next local idle (not doing anything such as building or exploiting) worker, while shift alt d selects the previous local idle worker. Ctrl d selects all the local workers, while alt ctrl d selects all the idle local workers. Now e does pretty much the same, just for workers anywhere on the map. E selects the next worker, shift e the previous, alt e the next idle worker, shift alt e the previous idle worker, ctrl e selects all workers, and alt ctrl e selects all idle workers. As you can see, there were too many functions to fit on one key with just three modifier keys.
Now for buildings, which are also a bit different. W now selects the next local building, while shift w selects the previous local building. This will make it easier to find a building if you have many, since it only cycles through the buildings in a particular square. Ctrl w will select the next building anywhere on the map, while shift ctrl w selects the previous building. Alt w will select the next idle building (not busy doing anything, such as recruiting or upgrading) anywhere on the map, while shift alt w will select the previous idle building. Ctrl alt w will select the next building even if it doesn’t have a menu (such as farms for example), while shift ctrl alt w will select the previous such building.
We also added a few keys to q, the key you use to cycle through units of any kind on a square. The default q and ctrl q etc commands work as before but in addition the following is also available: alt q selects the next local idle unit, shift alt q the previous local idle unit, alt ctrl q selects the next idle unit anywhere, and shift ctrl alt q selects the previous idle unit.
The grouping commands from 1 to 5 on the keyboard also work as before, but with the following additions: alt plus the number will group local and idle units, and ctrl alt plus the number will group global idle units.
Now because alt and g is used for selecting local idle snipers, it doesn’t work for repeating the previous command again, so this has been changed to slash. So slash fulfils the function of alt g (repeat the previous order), shift slash queues the repeated order (previously shift alt g), and alt slash does what alt r used to do (which I never actually used or understood the point of, but it’s there if anyone wants to use it).
And lastly, to check oil is shift z, while iron replaces wood.
Think that’s everything as far as keys are concerned. It might be confusing to get used to at first, but we’ve found it to make things easier when you get the hang of it.

Now the units. I’ll just give a very basic overview of each unit and their abilities.

Ground units
  • Infantry: Key f. Close range, little damage, fast firing rate.

• Grenade: shortcut g. Hits ground units only, does splash damage.

• RPG: shortcut r. Hits a single ground or air unit.

• Sniper: key g. Long range, slow rate of fire, hits ground and air units.

• Upgrades to assassin, similar but invisible. Key for assassin is b.

• Tank: key h. Lots of health and armour, also moves relatively fast.

• Artillery: key j. Very long range, does a lot of splash damage. Can’t see as far as it can shoot though, so you need something else for that.

• Medic: key l. Heals units, does very little damage.

• Resuscitation: shortcut r. Revives 5 random dead units.

• Smoke screen: shortcut s. Produces an effect that cloaks the square (makes everything on that square invisible).

• Spy: key o. Invisible, detects invisible units, does little damage.

• Set hidden bomb: shortcut h. Produces an invisible bomb which you can find as a building. Can be detonated to do damage to everything on the square (shortcut e).

• Camera image: shortcut c. See everything on a particular square, including invisible units, for a few seconds. Can be used up to 5 squares away.

• Bribe: shortcut b. Converts an enemy  unit. Only useable within a square.

• Chemical attack: shortcut p. Produces an effect that harms all healable units on a square. Useable from an adjacent square.

• Mad scientist: key p. Does no damage.

• Engineer corpses: shortcut e. Creates cyborg zombies from corpses. They are pretty straight forward, not much to them except that they regain a little bit of health over time. Their key is m.

• Acid fog: shortcut a. Produces an effect that damages all units on a square, but has a lower harm level than chemical poison. Also useable from an adjacent square.

Air units
  • Fighter: key k. Fast, only attacks air units.

• Missile: shortcut m. Hits a single ground or air unit.

• Bomber: key i. Only hits ground units, does a lot of damage.

• Carrier: key semicolon. Can’t attack but can transport units.

• Drop paratrooper: shortcut d. Drops a paratrooper, basically a weaker version of an infantry without abilities. Key for paratrooper is rightbracket.

• Gunship: key leftbracket. Can attack both air and ground units, slower and does less damage than a fighter.

• Drone: key apostrophe. Fast, can’t attack, can detect invisible units.

• Kamikaze: shortcut k. Blows the drone up in its position at that moment, causing damage to everything in the square.

• Nuclear missile: key n. Pretty fast but weak. Can’t fight but can detonate to destroy everything on the square (shortcut d).

Water units
  • Transport: key r. Can’t attack, can carry twice as many units as the carrier.

• Land marine: shortcut l. Similar to drop paratrooper. Key for marines is rightbracket.

• Destroyer: key t. Can hit ground and air units.

• Battleship: key y. Similar to artillery but a bit less range and less damage.

• Cruise missile: shortcut c. Hits a single ground or air unit. Further range and does more damage than missile.

• Submarine: key u. Invisible, slow rate of fire.

• Torpedo: shortcut t. Can hit adjacent square, does a lot of damage but only hits a single ground unit. Can hit invisible units.

Buildings

Just a few things about some buildings:

• The watchtower can upgrade to a defence turret which can hit only ground units, and an anti-air battery which can hit only air units.

• The hospital can also heal units in the same square.

• The hack ability (shortcut h) of the intelligence bureau can convert any unit on the map, but you must be seeing that unit for it to work.

• The nuclear facility can explode to destroy everything in the square.

We made a few maps for it, since you have three resources instead of two.
The AI is something we couldn’t really get to work properly, if someone thinks they can improve it please do.
I think that’s everything, hopefully someone gets some enjoyment out of this.

2019-03-14 13:26:04

aha !. I'll try to use your mod but I have a question
it's hard to make a mod?. I want to work but I do not know what to do

2019-03-14 13:59:22 (edited by Still_Standing 2019-03-14 14:00:02)

kick ass
your mod is cool , keap it up

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2019-03-14 14:10:49

i DOWNLOADED THE MODERN MOD BUT IT DOESN'T COME WITH THE .EXE FILE, SOUNDS OR ANYTHING OF THE SORT.. wHAT SHOULD i DOO to install it?

2019-03-14 14:34:35

you will have to move the mod to the mods folder under the user folder in the game it self, and the maps to the maps folder under the user folder in the game

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2019-03-14 18:10:24 (edited by defender 2019-03-14 18:11:01)

That's pretty awesome, but odd that missiles and torpedoes can only target individual units and have no splash, and can target anything not just other sea vehicles, from what I'm understanding? Also seems like you can hit ground stuff with torps.
And does the nuke cause a very long lasting radiation square or better yet multiple squares?
Acid fog and cyborg zombies are not really what I'd consider modern, though I guess acid square could be changed to mustard gas or something and toxic could be nerve gas.
I'm guessing toxic damages vehicles too though...
And RPG's should probably have some splash and not be able to attack the types of air units you currently have. Manpads and sam's would be for that, but you have no choppers right now and those are the only weapons that would really get high enough to hit an actual plane that wasn't grounded or landing/taking off.
Same goes for snipers.
And hackers probably shouldn't be able to target humans.
Landmines might have been a cool thing to add, just a very low range but decently powerful spike trap, basically.
And ground based troop carriers with an mg but light armor as well.
Some of these things are probably limitations of the mod system though, so suspension of some disbelief for the sake of fun is not such a bad thing over all anyway.

I really like the rest of it though, especially the bribe system, and it seems like everything is balanced quite well. The ships especially I think are a very neat addition, and I can tell some thought went into it.

2019-03-14 20:49:01

This sounds very fun by the way.
I really should try it big_smile

2019-03-14 22:48:59

Wow, thanks for create a new mod over soundrts :3

Is awesome that someone create a new mod tfr this smile

So, how do you discover that you can use the hidle word for other kind of elements that aren't workers?

You read that in some part of the source? or simply try following the word conventions in
the bindings file smile

Well, after that, is awesome that you achieve modify these things to the game

¡good job!

2019-03-15 08:51:18

@baby:
It's not that hard actually once you get used to how things work. The hardest part for me was finding sounds for everything.
@caio:
Like post 5 says, put the mod in the mods folder and the maps in your multi folder, both under the user folder, then select the mod in the options menu.
@sanslash:
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. What is the hidle word?
@defender:
I just checked, turns out torpedos, rpgs and missiles do splash actually, but rpgs and torpedos have a very small splash radius (0.25), and missiles have 0.5, compared to 1 for grenades. These values are in metres btw, and a square is 12m by 12m.
Yes, you can hit things on the ground with torpedos, I couldn't find a way to prevent that. There's no way to restrict it to only water squares.
About the nuke, no it doesn't unfortunately. That was the initial idea, but it isn't possible to extent the damage radius since it's apparently hard-coded. And you can have only one effect at a time, so having an effect that destroys everything in seconds means we couldn't add a second one for radiation. The plan was to have the nukes be very expensive but very destructive, but since it's not really possible to make them as powerful as we wanted them to be I decided to also cut the price significantly from what it was originally.
Yeah I guess the cyborg zombies are a bit out of place, it was just a random idea. But they really aren't very useful anyway, they die too easily. The poison doesn't harm vehicles at the moment, only healable units. Nerve gas is a good idea actually, I'll rename it to that. The acid does damage everything on the ground, and I'm not sure if a poisonous substance really fits with that since it wouldn't harm vehicles. Although I guess you could argue people in the vehicles still have to breathe, so maybe.
Yeah, rpgs can't really hit planes, just wasn't sure what else to call it. And snipers can't either, but thought it would be useful to have ground units that could hit air units like that, air units are already hard to defend against as it is. The carrier actually uses helicopter sounds. I wanted to add an attack helicopter, but wasn't sure what niche it would fill, since you already have bombers as air units that hit ground units.
Agree about the hacking, but unfortunately that isn't possible to do either. There's no way to specify what can and can't be targetted by a conversion ability.
The hidden bombs were meant to be landmines actually, but there isn't a way to trigger a once-off attack followed by the unit dying. The traps in the crazy mod attack every now and then until they're destroyed, which wouldn't have made sense for a landmine. So decided to copy the hidden bomb thing from the technicals in the crazy mod instead.
I'm not sure how useful ground-based troop carriers would be, they would be too vulnerable, and since you can already transport units by air, why would you use them? I could add them if you want, but I just don't think they would really work out.
I'm glad you think it's balanced, that was something we weren't sure about, it was hard to make sure a particular unit wasn't too overpowered or too weak. I'm not sure it's completely balanced yet though, but it's definitely getting there.

2019-03-15 11:21:32

We can suggest that soundmud add a limit that can only attack targets in the water.
And skills that only work on water squares

2019-03-15 18:17:42

I attempted to play this but I get errors in the 3 maps you provided for it

2019-03-15 19:54:58

should i make a mod that concists of dinosaurs and such
like you craft sience labs, research cloning, and reserect dinosaurs, hi jurassic world, lol

2019-03-16 11:17:33

@拓海:
I don't think the developer is currently working on soundRTS, it has been a while since the last update. But hopefully when he gets back to it we can get some of these features.
@brailleluke:
What is the error you get? Are you sure the mod is active before trying to load the map? That's the only thing I can think of at the moment that might be the problem.
@omer:
Sure, why not. Could be fun.

2019-03-16 12:28:37

@13
the dev still working on te game though

2019-03-16 12:31:13

I also think that soundmud is still under development.
Maybe it's writing AI, because the current AI function is not enough.

2019-03-18 11:21:48

I'm not saying he's abandoned it, just that he tends to be absent for periods of time during which there are no updates, probably due to him being busy with other things in his life. I think now might be one of those times, because he hasn't responded to anything on the forum in a while. But I'm sure he'll get back to the game at some point

2019-03-21 08:11:11

I checked, I did ensure that the mod was activated, I also checked that the maps were fine. The error from m3 is something about a terrain called big_bridge, the others are in the waterr terrain I think. I have no idea how the scripting for this works so I can't check it personally.

2019-03-21 08:38:02

wow. Amazing mod. I should start playing the game again.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-03-22 02:42:22

Do you have the latest version of soundRTS? Some of those were only recently added. The latest is c12, you can get it at: http://jlpo.free.fr/soundrts/continuous … indows.zip

2019-03-22 04:42:39

Sorry @zak93, I mean idle, not hidle.

In the default bindings file, only the worker have a idle command; I don't know that you can use that keyword for other unit types.

Is interesting that Soundmud did that as a convinable keyword and not a fix command.

smile

The idea of @homer is interesting; probably you can create a other race, to try how it works with the current modern race.

2019-03-22 05:51:52

I am yet to try this mod out, but will soon big_smile
Thank you for the time effort you put into this and for sharing it for us to play smile
What I would really like though is a mod that has slightly dated units I.E infentry beeing musketmen and rifles, machinegun placements along with forts cannons.
Think sharpes rifles along with world war I and less II since we already have that covered by the blitzkrieg mod.
One thing that would be cool to see though instead of single units they be called companys, and 10 companys I believe make a battalion of infentry, so on so forth for the cavalry as well, sort of a upgrade in firepower and rate of fire when 10 companys are present together that sort of thing.
Oh man just thinking about it is so fun lol
Either ways, I'll give it a try soon.
Thank you again!

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2019-03-22 17:20:43

Hi,

I have been playing around with the mod today, and must say its farely good.
My thoughts below, although I do have a suggestion.
If you were to write up unit translations in the rules file other maps could use your mod, too.
Otherwise you end up with a townhall and since there's no town center you can't create workers to create things.
and obviously, without workers nothing can be done.
My thoughts below.

Gave me that feeling of a premetave sivilization being able to build boats and stuff or be it high tech ships battleships etc and send raiding partys across the coast.
Only, if we could arrow through mountains and the oceans even though units can't it would have made things far easier and smoother. , but I gather that's more a suggestion for the sound RTS developer still, I hadn't tried all these different tiles before and having them is really great, now if only we had engineer units that could lay a bridge...
yumm.

Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2019-03-24 02:22:35

@Sanslash:
I wasn't sure it would work either, just tested it out of curiosity and it worked so thought it might be useful. I also wasn't sure if adding local to a command to select a single unit would work, but it did.
@grryfindore:
Glad you like it. You can ctrl + arrow passed barriers. For the mountains you would have to do it for all the squares, but for water you only need to ctrl arrow passed the boundary between land and water, and can arrow normally in the water itself. I can do the townhall to town centre etc in the rules, but since we changed the resources it won't work with any existing maps unfortunately. I guess that's the downside of having different resources in a mod, but those just made more sense in a modern context. The possibility of having units that change the terrain on a square was raised as a suggestion to the developer, hopefully he implements that at some point, I agree that would be fun.

2019-03-29 11:23:07

Can any create a more maps for this mod?

2019-07-01 12:04:16 (edited by ajackpot 2019-07-01 12:05:12)

Hello,
Does anyone have the Modern mod of SoundRTS? I entered a download link and I get a 404 error.