2019-03-12 08:50:49 (edited by Ceiling Feeling 2019-03-12 08:54:13)

Hello audio gamers,
I finally got round to updating my beginner Python project on Saturday. Typerspeed, a game which allows you to see how many words you can type correctly in just 35 seconds, has now been updated to version 1.05. In Liam Erven's live stream marathon, while playing the game, he noticed that there was an issue with homophones (words that are spelled differently but sound the same or similar). There was also a bug where the score wasn't being read out properly at the end of each game. Version 1.05, codenamed Homophone Beatdown, fixes these issues.

I would like to thank Liam so much for taking the time to play the game. I would love it if you could play it too! You can download it here http://credence-vi.epizy.com/programs

Alone, we are nothing but tiny specimens. But together, we are 1000 foot tall giants.

2019-03-12 09:32:27

Hi, from what i have played, this sounds so cool. may i ask that you create your own words in this game by parsing them from a text file?

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2019-03-12 11:42:02

The words are contained within a list. I'm not fimiliar with parsing files yet.

Alone, we are nothing but tiny specimens. But together, we are 1000 foot tall giants.

2019-03-12 15:03:30

Hi,
this is an awesome first project! big_smile I can't remember what my first Python thing was, but it definitely wasn't something like this or any game for that matter. big_smile Rock on!
Let me suggest a few things, though.
1. When you first start up the game, there is a bunch of clutter because the game starts up, and then you get the, "Welcome to pygame 1.9.4! Visit the pygame community" followed by this really long URL.
It actually prints two lines. And to prevent Pygame from doing that, you can go to
c:\python37\lib\sight-packages\pygame
Replacing python37 with your python ver directory.
Then, go to __init__.py, and remove the last two lines. They're both print statements that print the above messages. You can always read them to be double sure before deleting though.
2. Maybe make it so it spells every word, and uses commas between the letters?
3. In addition to number 2, make it so that a word is announced, and then the timer doesn't start until the user presses enter to signify they're ready to type the word.
4. When the game first launches, and maybe the main menu does read, but perhaps it's due to me skipping the URL that I don't hear what my options are. I interrupt the pygame welcome message with the arrow keys, and it just says choose an option, not what options are available to me.
Thanks, and best of luck!

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2019-03-12 17:11:15 (edited by keithwipf1 2019-03-12 17:12:50)

I guess you can parse a file like this
try:
wordfile=open("wordlist.txt", "r")
except IOError:
print("No word list. Please make one if you want words")
#We can now check if the word list was successfully loaded or not by using if wordfile
if wordfile:
loader=wordfile.read()
loader=loader.splitlines() #This means you put one line per word.
for i in loader: # Loop through the lines
  if len(i)>50:
   print "{0} is too long so it was skipped".format(i)
  word_list.append(i) # word_list should be  an array of strings that you defined, that already contains you're starting words. Now it should contain all the words from the file as well.

This code should be able to load the list of words, remove any words that are too long, and add the rest to you're list.

2019-03-16 22:06:25

I just wanted to say that I've finally gotten around to downloading and trying this. It sounded cool on Liam's stream, so I definitely wanted to try it, and I wasn't disappointed. this is a really neat little game! I don't have the issue that was mentioned about not being able to hear the menu options, they read out fine for me. Other than that, I think this is a great first project.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-03-16 23:58:42

If you read the read the readme file, it tells you exactly how to choose an option. But thanks for telling me how to remove that stupid pygame message. It was annoying me too.

The Dwarfer wrote:

Hi,
this is an awesome first project! big_smile I can't remember what my first Python thing was, but it definitely wasn't something like this or any game for that matter. big_smile Rock on!
Let me suggest a few things, though.
1. When you first start up the game, there is a bunch of clutter because the game starts up, and then you get the, "Welcome to pygame 1.9.4! Visit the pygame community" followed by this really long URL.
It actually prints two lines. And to prevent Pygame from doing that, you can go to
c:\python37\lib\sight-packages\pygame
Replacing python37 with your python ver directory.
Then, go to __init__.py, and remove the last two lines. They're both print statements that print the above messages. You can always read them to be double sure before deleting though.
2. Maybe make it so it spells every word, and uses commas between the letters?
3. In addition to number 2, make it so that a word is announced, and then the timer doesn't start until the user presses enter to signify they're ready to type the word.
4. When the game first launches, and maybe the main menu does read, but perhaps it's due to me skipping the URL that I don't hear what my options are. I interrupt the pygame welcome message with the arrow keys, and it just says choose an option, not what options are available to me.
Thanks, and best of luck!

2019-03-17 00:04:01

The issue I have with a text file is that people can right stuff into that file. I don't want people flooding the game with curse words and stuff like that. That's just not right in my honest opinion.

keithwipf1 wrote:

I guess you can parse a file like this
try:
wordfile=open("wordlist.txt", "r")
except IOError:
print("No word list. Please make one if you want words")
#We can now check if the word list was successfully loaded or not by using if wordfile
if wordfile:
loader=wordfile.read()
loader=loader.splitlines() #This means you put one line per word.
for i in loader: # Loop through the lines
  if len(i)>50:
   print "{0} is too long so it was skipped".format(i)
  word_list.append(i) # word_list should be  an array of strings that you defined, that already contains you're starting words. Now it should contain all the words from the file as well.

This code should be able to load the list of words, remove any words that are too long, and add the rest to you're list.

2019-03-17 01:06:09 (edited by amerikranian 2019-03-17 01:10:36)

I mean, @post 8, you could not play that version? If the word listing was a thing, the users could upload their files and give disclaimers as to any offensive content they have. That's just me, though. If you follow the ideas in post 4 with pressing enter, you could add in double words. You'd just use a sentence which includes that word. i.e: Turn right in 3 miles, or You write an essay about your break over the summer. Since the user can press enter to start typing there's no chance of them losing time because they're listening to the sentence.
Good job on your first python project, I'm getting there, slowly. Hopefully, in about 3048574 years I'll release it.
I'm kidding, but it really hasn't been that easy so far. For me, everything that has a 99% chance of working will not. Heh.

2019-03-17 01:27:10

@8, well, that's obviously your perrogative, but curse words are in the dictionary, are they not? I don't think they should necessarily be excluded if you were going to accept new lists. Jim Kitchen's Concentration game, for example, had an adult list and a standard list. Of course, most kids who played it most likely used the adult list, gee, I don't know how I know that, but as long as you're giving a choice, that's about all you can do. I'm assuming your objection is that children might play it, right? I was very strongly opposed to the people who said Psycho Strike was a vile game which would corrupt children, and that was one of the arguments I used to explain why they were wrong, that Jim Kitchen had been producing adult games for years and nobody made a peep about that. Anyway, as I said, if you have a problem with it for whatever reason, you do you, I really do enjoy your game, and in fact I'm wondering if you would consider making an anagrams game in this style, or consider adding that as an additional option. I'd love to see how many anagrams I could make out of a word in 35 seconds, or on a timer in general. The only accessible version of that I've ever seen was on the old AllInPlay system, which is long dead.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.