2019-03-15 16:28:24

Is there any way to reduce the hissing, static, clicks, and other things in audio like that with out leaving ringing sounds or at least reduce them?

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-03-15 17:01:47

I believe audacity allows for this in low pass and high pass filters, though I've never been very good at using them.

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-03-15 17:07:46

Filters can be quite handy, but in this case, I think it would only be dampened.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-03-15 17:31:57

Audacity's noise reduction does this, but I can't remember exactly what the steps are to use it properly. It works reasonably well for getting rid of stuff like cassette hiss. I'm sure there'll be a guide on the web for how to use it. All I can remember is you have to select a portion of just the hissy part, then it uses that as a sample to base its adjustment on. .

2019-03-15 17:32:20

Reaper has a dynamics processor plugin called ReaFir. Audacity has an effect called noise reduction and goldwave the same thing. For Audacity and Goldwave, what you can do is try to find a section that's only noise, select it, copy it into the clipboard, then you can work with it. In Audacity, there is a button called get noise profile or something (its been quite a long time since I've used Audacity), hitting that will cause it to grab the info from the noise you selected. In goldwave, just use the clipboard preset and modify the parameters as needed. Remember in Goldwave to hit F4 to preview before hitting OK and adjusting as needed.

Noise reduction is tricky, there are usually going to be some artifacts present, but you can reduce the scale in goldwave to mitigate that, play with the FFT size in ReaFir and let it build its noise profile in a good section. There are also very expensive noise reduction plugins too, so it's not a cut and dry affair.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-03-16 20:25:31

The best noise reduction plugin I've used so far is the one that comes with Izotope RX7. The plugins that come with it can be used in Reaper as well, as VST3 plugs.

I've been going by Bryn, which is now reflected in my profile. Please do your best to respect this :) Mess ups are totally OK though, I don't mind and totally understand!
Follow on twitter! @ItsBrynify
Thanks, enjoy, thumbs up, share, like, hate, exist, do what ya do,
my website: brynify.me

2019-03-17 00:17:18

I second the recommendation for RX but it's pricy, and I don't have the full version. I just know what I managed to do with the demo version and if you tweak settings right it can really do a lot of good, provided you give it quality starting material to work with that isn't completely drowned out by noise.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2019-03-17 00:23:10

I actualy have it,  although the program it self seems to be a little spotty with accessibility in some places. Any tips?

2019-03-17 01:20:29

I have most experience with the vst, the standalone is a little weird as you say. A lot is doable though if you tab around. I remember you can set selection start and end times and frequencies there, and I think the brackets also set markers similar to Gold Wave but I do remember it being finnocky.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.