2019-03-13 13:17:43

@greensatellite

It might be agood idea to make the map table in map room into a actual <table> element. SRs have shortcuts for navigating through a table by row or column, so it's easier than when it is presented as a list of text. Unfortunately, SRs aren't able to handle tables that are defined using WAI-ARIA roles yet, so it would need to be an actual <table> with <tr>, <td>, etc.

2019-03-13 22:10:40

You can use the combo box in the map chambers as an anchor point, just below is to make the map selection, above are the controls to create a map and since the create is up top, I usually go to the combo box and fill sliders from bottom to top and then hit create, then go back to combo box and go down to select the map, it's pretty quick. I recycle maps when I'm done with them so it keeps the list small.

Hope that helps.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ― Lemony Snicket

2019-03-13 22:30:42

I noticed that some of the map stuff had unlabeled clickables and I was sort of confused at first the tooltips thing helped me figure out what they were, how do you see how many maps you actually have? I thought I saw it somewhere but I guess I was wrong I did recycle the map I had finished and create a new one

2019-03-13 22:48:38

When you are in the map creation, you can see all your maps under Select a map. What do you mean unlabeled clickables, what do they do?

When you run a map, under the auto fight switch, there is a "maps" clickable. It has a number in parentheses, this is how many times you've beaten the map, but it caps at 10. This is to keep track of the bonus you will get on the zone.

I don't know if you knew, but say you are at zone 25. If you make a level 25 map and beat it 3 times, you will see "maps (3)". If you go back to the world, you will deal 130% damage on zone 25. This bonus caps to 200%, hence 10 times. You will also see that bonus in the zone heading. When you get to zone 26, you will loose that bonus and will have to beat level 26 maps to get that bonus again.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ― Lemony Snicket

2019-03-14 02:25:10

I didn't no that and one is map config, it shows/hides it, a few are to deal with map config presets or something

2019-03-14 02:35:20

Ah, didn't know that, good catch! They should be labeled.

2019-03-14 07:11:10

The clickables in the map chamber are to save and reset map configs,  the position of your sliders and the combo box, that is why there is a 1 2 3 clickable in there since they are preset positions, though since the buttons for dealing with them aren't labeled I've just done as Origine said and used the combo box as a nav point and gone from there.

The only other weird thing with the map chamber, is I've noticed that sometimes if  move one slider up or down a bit, the level spinabble can change, which can sometimes be a pain if your experimenting with trying to get the best quality map with a limited number of fragments.

As to traps, Yeah, I'm trying for the 1000000 traps myself, I left my pc running all night, but I'm not quite there yet. Its mildly anoying since I am using a laptop at the moment and its less wise to just leave a laptop running for long periods, plus of course the NvdA laptop keys for tooltips are a little less convenient than the desktop versions.

Speaking of tooltips, The more I play, the more I look forward to the tooltip fix, since as you get further on in the game, you need to calculate a bit more costs vs upgrade bennifits, and thus be able to compare  and bennifits for say a hut or a house, or an equipment upgrade vs the mroe expensive presteige  a bit more quickly.

Btw, as regards traps, that confused me at first.
Basically, trapping is an auto player activity like gathering, chopping, mining, researching  or building.
when your  trapping, you'll essentially speed up your trimps breed rate by  ten traps per second to catch as many trimps  you have levels in the bates perk, provided you have traps to spare of course, since you get to a point where your trimps are fighting in the thousands, so you need to wait a while for your trimps to breed up a reasonable fighting population again, it can be a handy way of augmenting your progress on harder maps when your fighting enemies who take extra hits  take out. like the blimps you run into at the end of every zone.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-03-14 23:52:12 (edited by greensatellite 2019-03-14 23:55:59)

@Originie I received your trial code for JAWS, thank you very much!

From what I'm reading here, I believe the most requested reworks so far have been Tooltips first, then the Map Chamber, then the combat stats/zone area.

I'm also planning on adding an "Overview" area, where you can easily move up and down to see things like current location (cell and zone #), current stats, enemy stats, next upgrade drop location, building queue size, resources, and anything else I can think of that would fit nicely in there. I'm thinking this can be the default spot for watching the game progress, and you'd only have to navigate elsewhere around the page when you want to make a change to something.

I've started work on the new tooltips and should hopefully have something ready to test within the next 36 hours or so!

2019-03-15 07:08:41

It ended up taking less time than I expected to finish! The first version of screen reader friendly tooltips are now up on the test version!

Here's another link to the screen reader test version if it makes things easier for anyone: https://trimpscreenreader.netlify.com

Dragonlee was a huge help in figuring out how to do these tooltips, using aria-live: assertive is hopefully a nice way to do this for anyone playing. There are now two buttons in the Buildings, Jobs, Equipment, and Upgrades areas, the first one is labeled "something tooltip", and the second one is the same as before. Hitting enter while your cursor is on the Tooltip button will pop the tooltip text (with the cost first) into an aria-live box and should hopefully be automatically read out loud.

There's still more work to be done in adding easy ways to read the multitude of other tooltips that are spread around the game, but hopefully this should make things much easier for now!

I've also set the Gather/chop/mine/research/trap buttons to buttons, so they should be easier to navigate to, and added some text to the message log and trimp/enemy stat heading areas so that JAWS should have an easier time noticing them.

I hope you all like the new implementation of the tooltips, please let me know what you think!

2019-03-15 07:19:37

greensatellite wrote:

I'm also planning on adding an "Overview" area, where you can easily move up and down to see things like current location (cell and zone #), current stats, enemy stats, next upgrade drop location, building queue size, resources, and anything else I can think of that would fit nicely in there. I'm thinking this can be the default spot for watching the game progress, and you'd only have to navigate elsewhere around the page when you want to make a change to something.

YESSSSSS!!! Ahem, that is a great idea.

2019-03-15 07:43:12

@greensatellite, I just tested out the new version. Again, I test with jaws, results may vary with other screen-readers.

I have a lot of sparse things to say, I don't know how to structure my post, so I'll go with the sweet stuff and then the things to improve in my opinion.

Sweet Stuff:
1) Tooltips: they work really well and when I press them it immediately starts reading the tooltip, cost first, wow! It really shows that you understand what's important, because usually cost is at the bottom of tooltips, but now it's read first because it's what we care most.
2) Timers above production buttons. I didn't have access to that information before, but now I see how much time it will take for my resource to max out. A great nice little cherry. Speaking of which, I'd like to see my average looting rate in a map, say 3M/sec, a bit like the helium counter, but for resources looted in a map. It would be nice to see that rate go up as you buy equipments and get through a map faster.
3) Buttons: it works so much better than previously clickables, especially since I had bugs sometimes that I wasn't able to build.
4) Headings, yup it worked, thanks!

Improvements:
1) I think you forgot a button for trap catching?
2) I would put tooltips on a second row. So for equipments, for instance, there would be all 11 equipment buttons, then all 11 toolltips. This way, when you want to compare costs, it's easy because all tooltips are next to each other and when you want to buy stuff, you don't have to skip every other button. Kind of a NIT here and personal preference, I don't know what others think.

2019-03-15 08:15:43

wow, the tooltip thing is great! I like it I'm taking things a bit slow, so I'm only on zone 10 but I haven't seen anything about making a million traps so I assume it pops up later
@dark I must be a horibel person I leave my laptop running all the time, for the past several months or so, but this is by far the longest lasting laptop I've had and I hope it stays that way so I do turn it off when I travel of course, and sometimes when I'm not doing anything but it does normally stay on, bit off topic, but thank you for all your hard work as for the post about eq, I don't get what your saying, but I don't mind having to click on jobs/eq/upgrades sense there in there own heading, I sometimes just click all and leave it up there

2019-03-15 08:51:21

I just started trying it and it looks awesome! Can't wait to discover more as I progress. Is trimps the only kind of creature you can own? Sorry if my question sounds stupid. I just started.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2019-03-15 08:51:22

@Origine, you're right, I did miss the Trap button! It should be fixed now if you refresh your game.

Regarding the tooltips down on the second row, I was thinking it would be easier if you could check the price and then still be right next to the button to make a purchase, and was thinking it would still be easy to just hit B twice (or shift B) if you were wanting to compare costs between things. But after a few days if you and others still feel like it would be better at the bottom, I can certainly do that!

2019-03-15 09:09:10 (edited by Valmorian 2019-03-15 09:17:25)

I like it this way, it also makes it easier if anyone ever plays who isn't super comfortable with the computer. ? Also I just noticed that the tooltip buttons don't seem to vanish right away, but they do if you refresh the page after you've bought the upgrade  seems the button to not show monsterkills also gets rid of cell numbers which I guess makes sense but for some reason I wish I could see them

2019-03-15 09:55:04

Same problem here, bought an upgrade, but still have the tooltip button for it, strange.

2019-03-15 12:54:47 (edited by Valmorian 2019-03-15 14:00:59)

I wonder if it would be bad to leave the tooltips how they are but keep them as clickables, meanign it still auto reads  there are sort of a lot of buttons on the screen now and if you keep them above, you can just arrow up and press enter. is the only place to get bones, zones? if it's a thing that happens later, no spoilers lol

2019-03-15 14:31:37 (edited by stewie 2019-03-15 14:32:01)

The tooltips work really well and autoread perfectly here. I like Valmorian's suggestion though about making them clickable instead of buttons. I tend to hit b to jump through the things I can buy quickly and if they were clickables I could just hit up arrow after hitting b to get to the tooltip of the thing I want to buy. Another suggestion could be (in conjunction with the tooltips) to list the prices of each purchasable thing in the button's text.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2019-03-15 21:11:09

I don't like clickables because they are inconsisten sometimes. I don't know what makes this, one answer could be when something is over that clickable, but sometimes I just cannot click clickables and it's very frustrating. Buttons always work. Having tooltips like that helps if your focus is bouncy, because instead of buying something else, you will most likely click a tooltip.

2019-03-16 01:38:38

Sorry about the tooltip buttons not getting removed after purchasing an upgrade, this should be fixed now!

2019-03-16 05:00:35

Wow, I had to take some time out yesterday due to having to deal with UK government bureaucracy, and yee gods things change.

I am really liking the tooltip buttons, loking at costs is so much quicker, and I like that the activity buttons are also buttons.

this system would definitely work elsewhere in the game I think  EG with reading current zone/map stats.

As regards tooltip placement, on the one hand I like the buttons so close together since its only necessary  hit b after looking in order to buy something, and personally if the tooltips were elsewhere It'd be mildly annoying. On the other hand, this does mean twice as much hitting of b to find the thing you want when you want to buy a specific upgrade, which is taking a wee bit of getting used to.

A simple fix for this might be to change the labels on  buttons to read "info for barn" instead of "barn tooltip"

that way you could hit b more quickly and would only need to listen to the start of each word. Indeed, I'd suggest doing this for sake of clarity anyway since novice screen reader users might not get what "tool tip" is and might think its buying tools for your trimps or something of the sort big_smile.

I also don't mind things like stats, bones, achievements etc being clickable, since those aren't things you need all the time, and cluttering up the  with too many buttons would negate the point of having buttons in the first place.

In other news, I finally got to zone 41 the other day, got my million traps and have restarted. Yee gods I got a good perk, and now things are going really well, indeed had I not had to be elsewhere today I probably  finished the wall in under two hours, oh well, there is always next time.

Some advice I would give to anyone attempting the size challenge, bail out early, since it becomes really hard to catch up later when you start with fewer trimps.

I am doing a run with no upgrades to see how far I can get, and because after the post zone 30 zones getting to be a struggle, I decided to give myself a break and gather some helium instead, plus the balance challenge looked a bit scary.

I think this will stand me in good stead in the future though, especially judging by current progress and how good one of my recent perks is.

I'm also trying out agility. At ;level 5 its pretty damn fast, which is good for looting, though less good for catching in game progress, we'll see how it works out later on.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-03-16 19:58:16

Thank you for the tool tip buttons! They read very nicely now.
I wonder how to use javascript to that, I guess I just have to look it up.
If it helps that thumbs up is from me, big_smile

2019-03-18 06:25:26 (edited by Dark 2019-03-18 06:29:19)

Well I just made a rather amusing mistake.

I'd got to zone 41 and was missing some coordination upgrades, so decided to invest in some wormholes. I'm always careful about buying wormholes since they cost helium, so haves checked the price carefully and only bought them when say I was unable to keep up with coordination upgrades, I bought two on my last run to zone 41.

So, there I was at zone 41 wthree ith wormholes, intending that this time around I get at least to zone 50.
I purchase wormhole number 4, distribute all the jobs, using the clickables to change amount to 100, then 25 and then 10.
I then think another wormhole would be useful, and completely forget that my quantity is still set at 10 big_smile.

So, suddenly I have 15 wormholes!

This was not an access issue, this was a "dark is too lazy to check amounts issue", though Green satellite might consider listing the helium cost in the wormholes confirmation popup just in case some dope like me happens to forget  read the prices before clicking and saying "yes its okay"
At least it wasn't set at 100.

On the plus side, my trimps are now slaughtering along merrily thanks to being able to get all of the vii upgrades, and it won't take half as long as I thought to get the next set.

Of course, this now means I'm pretty much bound to get to zone 50, maybe even more, actually it would be cool to get to zone 60 if I can, but whether my new hoards of workers can keep up with upgrade costs we will have to see big_smile.

2019-03-19 11:54:40

Okay things were getting a bit tough there, but I've finally made it to zone 50. Also, To green satellite there is a bug, since I earned my first golden upgrade and the tooltips didn't show up as buttons.
As I now do have said golden upgrade, plus i want to get back the helium I spent on those wormholes I'll be seeing how far I can go,though upgrade prices are getting a bit insane at the moment.

It'd be cool to get to zone 60, but whether that will prove too much of a stretch this time around I'm not sure.

2019-03-19 15:19:45

Anyone have any advice for the scientist challenge? I got myself into an unwinnable situation where I can't upgrade coordination and I can't even damage the enemies now, which sucks because I'm so close to the end of the challenge.

Take care, it's a desert out there.