2019-03-13 14:31:17 (edited by Zarvox 2019-03-13 16:44:58)

Version 5 is not ready to be released yet, but I wanted to talk about the the features it now supports. When I released version 2, I got a lot of feedback talking about data saving, such as your macro lists being recognized, adding aliases to achievements in the creator, and of course level playback. Well, all of those things have already been put into version 5 with exception to aliases for achievements; I will describe each feature below.

The program now reads the macros.txt file to get the list of your macros. You can access your list of macros in the program now. If you press enter on a macro, it inserts it into the file. If you press space on a macro, it copies that  macro to a string variable. When pressing q, it will paste that macro you pressed space on, so it writes the actual macro instead of just the word.

There is an alias list, it isn't very useful on its own, so it is in a menu of other lists. Currently you can not use it for achievements, because I haven't worked on adding that yet. May be harder than it sounds.

I have added a section creator. Make a time selection using the shift keys to locate the distance of 2 points, then press s. Select either play lines, press lines, or macro lines. Then type in the number of times you would like to paste the line. Each time it pastes the line, they are separated by the selection time. Like if selection is 1000, it will paste 1000, 2000, 3000.

And finally, level playback. If you play back your level in rhythm rage debug mode, it just plays through the level. You can not pause, rewind, or fast forward. And I don't think it will play back the level unless you start from the beginning, or before the first action. Let me explain.
What my creator does is looks for the first action. Once it is played, it looks for the second action. And so on. I believe rhythm rage does the same thing. So if you just wanted to play back the level in my creator from before the first action then it will work. However, unlike rhythm rage, you can pause, rewind, and fast forward. And once a sound is played, it looks for the next one. So if you wanted to replay the level while going backwards, it will not play the sounds. So I have achieved level playback the same way rhythm rage has, however, if you try using the features that my creator has that rhythm rage doesn't, you will think the playback feature is horrible, when in reality, it isn't. So keep that in mind.
I am going to try to get around this and make it to where every time you press an arrow it checks the time versus the time it wants to look for a sound and see if it works, however don't count on it. The feature works, but it is not made for advanced features yet, so don't think it sucks. However there is one drawback to my playback method, it does not recognize macros. It will play the macro line sound instead of the actual macro. So to ensure your macros have the right sounds and number of actions, use rhythm rage to verify.

Let's talk about version 6. Version 5 is all about data saving. You can finally get everything done inside the program, and know all of your data with all your files. So is that the end? No. Version 6 is going to focus on customization and integration.
Right now it plays default sounds for actions, and only one sound per action. Version 6 will fix that.
And for integration, I want people to be able to paste the creator into their pack folder and be able to use it. So when you select sounds to play, you can select from your sounds in the folder. I also want to make it to where you can choose from the list of current levels you have and not have to rename it generated.lvl. And when you choose which level to load, it will load the aliases and macros and everything else for that level as well.
This is way beyond what I am doing right now, but there is some clarity of what this creator is becoming. Version 5 is finally adding all of the data support features people requested back in version 2, and version 6 will hopefully go as planned and add customization and integration to make it feel more convenient to use.

2019-03-13 15:36:03

what is this? Level creator for what?

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-03-13 15:45:51

Rhythm rage

2019-03-13 17:50:22

wow
ok
you guys are lucky that the js version of rhythm  rage uses exactly the same parser lol
if I had changed all the commands you would have to make another version of the rr level creator
lol
I should quit being lazy and release the game

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2019-03-13 17:57:04

I will be honest. It doesn’t read the level. It writes a time file, and a key type file. I could murge the 2 files into 1, but not my focus right now. So rhythm rage still has a few 1ups. But slowly I will get there

2019-03-13 19:06:50

@1, what did you make this in? JS?

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-03-13 21:16:16

probably bgt?

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2019-03-13 21:36:15 (edited by Zarvox 2019-03-13 21:41:46)

All bgt. To be honest, this project isn't about making it good and high quality for people to use. I just wanted to attempt building something like this and see how far I could get. And when I did make it, I said, why not release it to the public. So I did. But it is me just experimenting with bgt and seeing how far I can go with this, it isn't made for actual high quality professional user experience. But version 6 will attempt to make it more so that way.

When I received feedback on version 2, I knew I was disappointing people, because they wanted a high quality product that had several things and such that I just didn't have the skills for. But I've been playing around with it, and asked for help every now and then, and eventually I was able to expand it and add more features and stuff. So I'm glad I was able to make it better, but in no way was this ever intended for professional high quality use, it has just been a fun project. I'm honestly surprised no one has made a better version than mine yet, it wouldn't take more than a week for someone who knew what they were doing. But I do not know completely what I am doing, that's why it is a fun process, and don't expect professional work. I will do my best to get features in, but they might not be the best quality. That's ok though, this project is mainly meant for personal challenges with coding. I have learned a lot from this project.

Oriol could probably made this creator himself and it be the best thing ever! I would still work on mine, because it has taught me a lot of skills. Working with string manipulation and arrays are the main things it has taught me how to do. Even if he did release his own creator, I'd still put mine out there for people to use if they so choosed. To admit I would most likely use his creator more than mine lol.

2019-03-13 21:53:21

It's great that you found a project like that to learn programming concepts. Usually it's what most people are lacking, ideas to practice.

What is rhythm rage ? Like a guitar hero ?

Keep up the good work. Also, if you want to start a project eventually in another language, don't be scared to jump in, you'll see it's very easy to switch languages when you understand the concepts. The second language takes a bit longer, but after you can learn a new language in less than a week.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ― Lemony Snicket

2019-03-13 22:11:30 (edited by Zarvox 2019-03-13 22:17:59)

Rhythm Rage is like beat star. A certain sound or phrase gives you a command. You either respond to that command by pressing a certain key after a specific amount of time, pressing a key multiple times in a rhythm, or holding a key for a duration of time. It is a really fun game and can be extremely challenging. The cool thing about rhythm rage is you can code your own levels in a pack and submit that pack for everyone to play your soundpack, with your chosen sounds, music, and levels. What is the level creator? It makes it to where you can play through your level and it creates the code for you as you play. So you don't have to spend time copying and pasting code. You can just hit the keystrokes and create the level by playing through it as if you have already created the level. Super useful and quick.

2019-03-14 11:00:50

I believe i have figured out how to make version 6 possible. And it will be great. I need to finish version 5 though, not very excited for that. I'm excited for 6, as it will be a lot more string variables and arrays and such. I feel like version 6 will be a piece of cake whereas version 5 is a pain. Well because i don't like working with data save, but ah well. Let's push through it.

version 1, made it work.
Version 2: made it better and made the level file have different lines.
Version 3: added more features and html document.
Version 4: added much more time controls and enhanced macro usage a tun.
Version 5: added data saving and level playback.
version 6: added customization and integration.

If there is something this creator is missing after version 6 let me know, but I have a good goal set right now that looks very achievable.

2019-03-14 17:34:46

can you send a link to the version that's out know, I'l like to give this a try.

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2019-03-14 20:44:04

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5vuxm11rg8drw … r.zip?dl=1