2019-03-08 19:22:22

So I want to learn php, except that I don't seem to have it installed on my internet thingy, how do I do this?
I saw something about setting up a my sql server or somethig on w3schools.com, but wen I clicked the php link it looked dreadfully complex.
Any help?

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-03-08 19:38:26

Is there a major difference between php 5 and php 7?
Cause those are the tutorials that w3schools has.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-03-08 19:58:21

Yes. PHP 7 adds a lot of lovely features that PHP5 doesn't have. I'd recommend it for beginners.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-03-09 03:34:47

You just need the php interpreter. The built in http server works for learning purposes if you still won't use databases.

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2019-03-11 00:44:07

hi. So I never really got an answer on post one.
Can I have step by step instructions on how to instal everything I need to use php on my website?
I'm running windows 10, 64 bit, and currently the website is only accessible threw source, that is, it's not hosted.

----------

2019-03-11 01:18:06

Head over to [php.net] and grab the latest version, there's also install instructions in the manual [here], just skip to the windows section. There's also a number of easy install bundle packages like [XAMPP], [WampServer], or [Web.Developer], though I can't guarentee their accessibility.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2019-03-11 11:08:19

XAMPP is definitely not accessible

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2019-03-11 15:33:55

ok, I have php-7.3.3-src downloaded. What do I do to set it up? The online manual looks painfully complex to me.

----------

2019-03-11 15:49:54

DOn'y worry, language itself is even harder haaaaa

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.

2019-03-11 16:43:06

@9, lmfao. I'm workin on the language itself, just need to knnow how to make it so that wen I run a php file, it'll open in my browser, and show the page I coded, instead of the code.

----------

2019-03-11 17:36:01

You can install XAMPP with the Win10 OCR

2019-03-11 18:19:34

I'm sorry, I'm an idiot, how do I do this?
Sorry for being dificult, I just see a lot of files that I have no idea about and I'm confuzzled.

----------

2019-03-11 18:21:08

No problem man, I was a noob like you some years ago.
First you need to download XAMPP from this website:
https://www.apachefriends.org/xampp-fil … taller.exe
Then you install and configure it with Win OCR and you are done. You can run your PHP scripts directly

2019-03-11 19:17:38

ok, I will try it.
Thanks for the help!

----------

2019-03-11 19:44:13

Ok, I have installed it, now what?

----------

2019-03-11 20:04:49

@15
Go to the folder where you installed xampp and run the xampp_start.exe file.
Your local server is activated. To test, type http: // localhost / or http://127.0.0.1 in your browser.
If you open a xampp page, then everything is working ok.
So, to test your php scripts, place them inside the htdocs folder.
@7
Yes, the xampp installer is not accessible, but there is the portable version that can be downloaded from sourceforge and used without any problems. I have it right here running on my thumb drive, very convenient.

2019-03-12 02:26:47

@16, I ran the xamppstart.exe, but php files still don't work, and I got a privacy error thingy wen going to https://localhost.

----------

2019-03-12 02:59:49 (edited by gabriel-schuck 2019-03-12 03:03:02)

@17
How strange ...
Is some other local service using the same port 80 of apache, which is the default?
I remember I had problems with this when I used skype7, where I opened skype first and then xampp and could not access the server.
I have not had a chance to run on w10, but here in w7 it works fine ...

2019-03-12 13:14:14

would the fact that I am running this on a school computer matter?
It's also the school's network.

----------

2019-03-12 13:19:56

did you allow the app through the fire wall?
I installed it, since i am also interested in this soort of stuff, and it worked for me.

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2019-03-12 14:43:41

It might be Redfox, if it is on a central server the internal accessed might be looped back. Plus, you type http://localhost not https

2019-03-12 14:45:10

do you know of a direct download link for a compiled version of php?

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2019-03-12 17:16:02

I got it to work, had to run the settup.bat file.

----------

2019-03-12 17:18:54

never mind, http://localhost works, but I still can't run php files.

----------

2019-03-12 17:19:10

never mind, http://localhost works, but I still can't run php files.

----------