2019-03-09 23:11:10 (edited by Dark 2019-03-09 23:13:10)

That's not a bad idea, but the question came  up in 2013 with respect to the articles room, what with people perhaps wanting to write walkthroughs in multiple parts etc.

At that point it wasn't possible to restrict topic replies to just the topic's creator, which is why it recommends in the articles room faq that people post multi part articles in separate topics or edit their  existing articles.

Whether that has changed since I don't know though I suspect your more likely to find an extension that auto closes topics after a  period of time without replies than one which restricts topic replying  to just the topic's original author.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-03-09 23:51:40

That’s why I’m not sure if that system would work, as good as it sounds.  If someone knows could they enlighten us?

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-03-10 01:39:54

I haven't thoroughly read all the posts here, so maybe what I am suggesting has already been proposed, but I thought of a system that might work. Of course, I don't know if it's possible, but here goes.
Let's take an example to explain my idea. I release a game called "Your Totally Awesome Adventure." I go to the new releases room and write my post as normal, then hit submit. The thread is posted in new releases room. However, another thread is automatically made in general game discussion.
Now, why would you want two threads? For one very simple reason: Anyone can reply to the thread in general game discussion, and so discussions can flourish. But only I can reply to the thread in new releases, since I'm the one who initially posted. When I do, that reply is also sent to the general game discussion thread, so whether you are just looking through new releases, or idly reading the discussion, you will see my 1.1 update fixing many horrendous bugs. In effect, the new releases room will become a place where *only* new releases can be found. But like I say, the general game discussion thread will stay in sync with it, so that you don't have to visit two separate threads to know what's going on. As a bonus, there could be links at the bottom of post 1 of both threads, so you could quickly jump between the discussion thread and the release thread if you impulsively change your mind about whether you care about the discussion or not.
Tl,dr, post in new releases only when you have something to release and it will go to general game discussion automatically where it can be discussed.
I have a feeleing something like this couldn't be implemented in the immediate future, but it sounds like it could be a win win situation to solve weaknesses in the current system.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2019-03-10 02:11:05

Yes, it would be nice if posting both topics at once could be automated. Again, if any of this is possible, someone please enlighten us.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-03-10 07:13:29

The problem I see is with posts in new releases with technical issues. I've seen topics with no download link in post 1, then link gets broken, then people cannot find or raccess the download link on the page and so on. It would be kind of awkward to go ask in general discussion to come back and see the answer in new releases and even if the message is copied, the poster would have to go look at the other topic automatically generated when he created a topic in new releases to come back and answer in new releases, still kind of awkward.

The problem here if I'm not mistaken is that people want to have a fast way to check for new releases. There could be a sticky post in new releases that nobody could write to and only a bot/script/extension could post the pos 1 of every new topic in new releases. This would kind of be a digest of all new releases and if you see a new post in there, means there was a new topic and if you want to quickly look at what games you could play, just look at the last page of that sticky and browse different latest games which are all a copy of post 1 of their topic and with a link to go to the topic for more information. The only problem would be with game updates, however, people could just modify their post 1 and it would get updated in the sticky. This would also be great, because it's painful to hunt down a topic to find the latest version where they can just update their post 1.

The most important aspect of this to me is that it needs to be really simple for developers to post new releases. We measure a user experience with the metric of wtf/minute. It means it must be intuitive, no special rules or things you wouldn't expect, don't forget we have external developers just coming here and dropping a new game they made. They must not have to get through a learning curve of I create a topic there, then monitor a different topic and come back to that one to answer, or know that ok, I post this new release, then my topic will get moved to general game discussion and so on.

I like the way New Releases is now, because I discovered the "New" link up top in the forums page and it lists all topics with new posts. I do understand though that some topics in new releases went way beyond new releases and became general game discussions, perhaps because the topic didn't exist in general game discussions to begin with.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ― Lemony Snicket

2019-03-10 20:01:21

If this happens, what do you think this sticky topic should be titled?

2019-03-10 22:27:05

I don't know, New releases digest?

The name doesn't really matter to me, as long as it's explicit, perhaps others would have better ideas.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ― Lemony Snicket

2019-03-11 03:25:06

I like the idea of a bot that auto posts the first posts of topics in new releases to a script topic so people  get a quick run down. What would happen however if  topic's first post were edited, say if a developer wanted to post a new link?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)