2019-03-08 02:39:01

This is more than an opinion and a question if anything. Why is the new releases room filled with topics that are game discussions.   Of course, new releases are fine, with a few post discussing the game. That’s to be expected. Or those that have received a new update.

Not enormous beasts of topics like STW. It was a new release when it started, but of course, unless it’s an update, it’s not anymore. I think a topic like that, with 2000 posts discussing the game should be in general game discussion. These are just my thoughts. The same goes for topics like swamp, and crazy party.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-03-08 02:59:59

I agree, it makes no sense.
The topics should be automatically moved to general games discussion after like a week IMO.

2019-03-08 05:35:05

I also agree with this. I feel as though New Releases should not allow replies on posts and be a sort of news feed. It solves the problem of games from 5 years ago suddenly getting bumped to the top of the list.
I'd be curious what others think?

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-03-08 07:47:58

yeah makes sense, i always thaught about it but never planned to bring it up anyway but n probs someone already done that for me

2019-03-08 08:29:12

I my self have no difference.

2019-03-08 08:53:54

I agree, I mean people who are ooking for new games might just go to new releases room and find a bunch of old games being bumped up because people are tlaking about them.

I wouldn't say that it doesn't make sense, I'd rather say that no one's thought about it before but now that someone brought it up, something should probably be done.

cheers

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2019-03-08 10:01:05

I think you completely closeing the topic is a bad idea, if the game has download link issues, it may be hard to notify anyone unless it’s sent by other means besides forum post.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-03-08 13:33:06

I agree, I don't want to start closing topics in new releases or make that more like the articles room. If we were to do something, I'd much rather do a thing where we move the topic after a few pages of discussion. That is easy enough, particularly as we can leave redirect topics in new releases anyway which just link to the new topic without the user having to do anything.

2019-03-08 13:56:59

I agree with this. Any new releases post gets moved to general game discussions after a set time, good idea.

I wouldn't want to see the links also in the new releases room, that completely defeats the purpose; that being to be able to look down the list and see all recently released games.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-03-08 14:26:26

I wonder if there's a way to automate that

2019-03-08 14:54:41

Unfortunately, seemingly not.
Also, regarding links, all you'll see is "moved: <incert topic name>", and when you click that it takes you to the newly moved topic, and as people add more topics to new releases containing new stuff, this moved/redirect topics will just be put further and further down anyway as a result, so it won't clutter it up as much as you might think.

2019-03-08 15:06:58 (edited by Dark 2019-03-08 15:07:16)

If this is going to be done, we probably also need to specifically warn developers that if they have an update to announce, they need to do so in a new topic in new releases rather than an old one.

Look at Crazy party, yes, the game has been out a good long time, but there keep being updates and if the topic was permanently moved to general game discussion people might miss those updates unless they tracked it specifically.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-03-08 15:14:47

Yes. There are times when, lets say, the stw topic comes up again. Well, you may think it's just someone asking a question, and most of the time it is, but you may, infact miss an update, a flaw in this system.

2019-03-08 19:50:24 (edited by Dark 2019-03-08 19:53:11)

I also wonder what happens when a developer is making continuous fixes, as occurred with the topic about path of adventure, duels rpg  or trimps, since it seems a bit random that they should then create multiple topics for each version when they're making comparatively small tweaks, and likely having five topics about the same game would prove just as irritating  having huge mondo topics of doom one has to hunt through for different versions (imagine all the warsim topics).

Myself, I wonder if there might be an addon or script somewhere that would auto close topics after a week of inactivity. That way, if a game is a hot topic (quite literally), with much discussion, it remains so, and thus if a developer is making continuous tweaks and updates and reports to the game, the topic remains open. Yes this would mean that some games like crazy party might stay around in new releases for a while, but this would also be a good way of tracking what elements of the community are playing.

If  however discussion of the game has lapsed and the topic has autoclosed, then the developer can make a new topic with details of the new release, which would also be a clearer way for members to know about new releases too, and avoid cases of threadcromancy where someone brings back a topic from god knows when just to ask  where the game has gone, solving two birds with one stone.

I'll also say from a news writing perspective that would also make new versions of games easier to report, since its not always possible to check each and every post of a topic to see when a new version is out.

Of course having to track a week from last post date would be a miner pest for the mods, so it would be nice if there was a script or addon to do this automatically, though it wouldn't surprise me if there was what with blog posts and such being such a popular past time.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-03-08 20:23:20

Yeah it could get to be a mess.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-03-08 21:09:57

agreed with dark here

2019-03-08 21:11:44

Maybe have one topic in general game discussion where the (ahem) game discussion takes place, while the new releases room can direct discussion to that topic, and those topics in the new releases room are only open to the original developer. This would allow for only updates to be noticed, and could function like a development changelog.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-03-08 21:39:15

@ 17 I agree.  I was thinking about something like the system you proposed.  Not too much mess, not one enormous topic where an update post could get lost in just hours. . It makes sense to have the update posted in both topics, however looking for it won’t be a pain anymore.  That could be helpful for those who are reading through a game topic. If there was no update post, things would be a little confusing at first.

2019-03-08 23:49:26

If that can be done I'd fully agree with that.

2019-03-09 01:02:32

My only worry with basically turning the new releases room into the articles room, I.e only topic posting and no replies, is that it would be less friendly for new developers who might want to repeatedly discuss their game and announce updates in the same place, especially when making smaller changes that don't warrent a full version.
Also what happens when a developer is posting a test version for people to just have a look at or an audio demo or something of the like?

That's why I'd personally opt for a timed closure system if at all possible.

2019-03-09 02:29:52

I fully agree.   I kind of wonder if everything we have in mind is even possible. For example, if we have topics close after a set amount of time, the developer may have to make new topics for every update. Maybe it should be specified that one topic is for updates, and the other topic is for discussion, each in their respective rooms.

2019-03-09 02:56:15

I wonder if it's possible to make a topic only one person can post to. That is. There can be as many posts as you'd like, but they can only be by you. I feel like that would solve this problem.

2019-03-09 03:32:44

That's what I was thinking, as long as there is a topic for discussion somewhere else.

2019-03-09 05:53:58 (edited by defender 2019-03-09 05:54:44)

Yeah I agree, if it's possible, then only allowing the dev to post updates to a new releases topic, and then having a topic for well, discussing the game (in the general game discussion room) would really be the best of both worlds.

2019-03-09 06:01:06

Agreed. This is what I had in mind, but I wonder who would know exactly if this was possible. Would it be the webmasters, or ⠁⠙⠍⠔⠎⠦

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion