2019-02-26 21:56:01

So I am going to need to know how to shave, and I have the fear that if I try I will cut myself. Any thoughts are helpful

Is this the real life?
Or is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality

2019-02-26 22:17:37

I know of some blind men who use a regular razor, but I never have. I use an electric razor, personally, and if you get a decent one, it's just about as good as a traditional shave minus the risk of cutting yourself.
The important thing to learn about razors is the way the blades work. If you use them properly, you might very occasionally get nicked, but you aren't going to slice up your face or cut your own throat.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-02-27 01:12:39

Thanks, just didn't want to have blood streaming out of my lips :d

Is this the real life?
Or is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality

2019-02-27 02:21:33

Hello folks! I personally don't like to completely shave me face so I use an electric hair cutting machine. I really don't know if there is a proper name for this kind of device, but english is not my first language, and the majority of classes don't go much into daily terms. But back to the topic, by using this kind of thing I can even follow the device's movement with a finger, so I can shape it the way I want.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2019-02-27 05:14:52

Hi,
I have been wondering about this myself, so +1 at the op.
I prefer a clean shave myself, so a barbers is where I end up every sunday, but I would obviously like to do it by myself and save a few bucks in the process lol
Would a electric shaver be able to do a clean shave just like you do with a raiserblade?
If not, I wouldn't mind tips on how to use the thing big_smile
Cheers and thanks!
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2019-02-27 05:41:14 (edited by Jeffb 2019-02-27 05:41:45)

I did have and use an electric raiser but that was only good for removing all hair for me. I could never just touch it up so I've been going to a barber now to get my beard touched up instead of fully removed.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2019-02-27 06:48:53

Hi.
I use a normal razor and it does the job wonderfully for me.
I like to get a clean shave so the best advice I can give you for the best experience is to go against the hair growth pattern. If the beard grows downwards go upwards and remove it. You can feel around the razor to see if there's any hair left but becarefull not to touch the blades or you might get your fingers cut.
With a normal blade you should never try to cut sideways, try to keep a straight line, up or down. If you go sideways you could cut yourself very badly.
It's pretty easy after you get the hang of it, try different shaving creams and see which one you like the best, it's very important that you use one that fits your shaving style.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2019-02-27 07:07:11

@7 is rite. takes a bit of practice but I've used regular razors since I was about 15. use good cream, phome or jell and go against the way the hair grows. you'll end up with a smooth finish. just be careful as he said to never go sideways or you will knick yourself.

I've tried electric razors but they seem to take for ever and I never get as smooth a finish as I'd like. handy when you're on the move though and you don't want to pack all that stuff and bugger about at a hotel sink or what ever.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2019-02-27 07:52:16

hello for those who are wondering that what is the actual name of an electric razor, it is called trimmer.
i don't use an electric razor, but i use a regular razor to cut.
but i am planning to bye the electric razor, as its shaving quality is good, and it takes less time than the regular one.

2019-02-27 09:15:58

Okay, firstly, unless your literally using a straight  razor, ie the sort that is just a blade, with no guard your chances of cutting yourself are fairly minimal. In most places I've been most razors are safety razors, that is they have a layer of foil between you and the blades heads, and even the blade itself is in a small pack so you never have to go near it.

There are two sorts, there are the electric trimmers that you can use  on their own, and the regular none electric kind that you need to wet your face and use soap, or shaving cream for.
At first, I used an electric trimmer because it was said to be easier, but this was always a painful experience, not because of cuts, but just because it pulled the skin of my face, heated my face up and was generally rather painful, which inclined me not to use it, which made  next shave painfuller etc.

So in 2011 I switched to wet shaving.
I first began with a regular razor and found this a much more preferable experience, these days I use a thing called a fusion, which is like the best of both worlds, it has a battery and vibrates like an electric razor, but you wet shave with it, its quick, comfortable and provides a very close shave, which is good because Mrs. Dark is not one of those ladies who is into stubble big_smile.

As to technique, with either shaver its pretty much the same.go in the direction the hair grows, ie down from the top, or in from the sides, rarely upwards. I use one hand to feel where I am going and which bits need shaving, and one hand to hold the razor. I don't tend to like hugely foamy cream myself, indeed  just a lather with regular soap is enough usually.

to me, paying a barber for a shave would be excessive, unless your somewhere where safety razors are not available, since I certainly wouldn't trust myself with a bared sharp blade near my throat :d.

Its generally very much a matter of individual preference, my brother for example prefers an electric trimmer with a skin balm attachment, where my dad has a full beard which he just touches up with a trimmer occasionally.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-02-28 03:24:31

I myself have used both. it all depends on what kind of shave you are wanting. I you want a completely clean smooth shave I recommend a treditional manual raiser.  That comes with the chance of cutting yoursself though.  You can avoid cuts once you get the hang of it.  I am not saying that if you chose this method you would me a fountain of blood, not true. I am just saying its tricky and takes some time to get used too.  so if you don't want that I recommend an electric shaver.  You have to shave more often with an electric, but it is worth if you don't want the cuts.  I myself prefur a manual raiser.

2019-02-28 04:59:08

Thanks guys, dark you were talking about rasers having guards? Do all of them have one? Where do I get one?
Sorry if I have a lot of questions, I just didn't know who to ask

Is this the real life?
Or is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality

2019-02-28 14:14:24

I have been using this shaver for around six months now and it is brilliant.

You can get some really nice clean shaved without the risk of ever cutting yourself
Use it to shave my head and facial hair,  blades are a bit pricey but they are always going on sale as I always tend to pick them up.
The device I am talking about is the Philips one blade 
The units themselves are not much and can always catch them in a sale as a bundle with a couple blades.

2019-03-01 09:43:55

Interesting topic, I was wondering this as well.
Seems like cutting direction and lather choice really kinda depend on hair type and skin sensitivity though, that and if you don't pay for a decent electric shaver you'll get much more raiser burn.

2019-03-01 11:56:26

@jimmy69 most razors produced in the world today are what are called safety razors, whether they're the dry shave electric trimmer type, or the wet shave version, you'd probably have to look around a lot to find a straight razor if you wanted one.

There is slightly less chance of cutting yourself on an electric trimmer with a dry shave if your worried about the issue, indeed when I was worried at the age of about 14 my dad just showed me his electric trimmer and ran it up my arm, but whether a trimmer is good for you will depend upon your skin type, hair growth etc as Defender said.

I'd suggest beginning with an electric trimmer, and if you find that too irritating to the skin, try wet shaving, indeed the jilette fusion is the one I'd personally recommend, though this is very much an individual thing.

hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-03-01 12:30:53

I forgot to add with the Philips one blade you can shave in any direction which is brilliant.

2019-03-01 13:46:18 (edited by flackers 2019-03-01 13:47:38)

The only real problem I've ever had shaving blind is keeping the sideburns even. I now use a pair of sunglasses with thick arms just as a guide to get them straight and at the same height. I wet shave too. I think it's a kind of neurosis that when I shave it has to be totally smooth to the touch or I'm not satisfied. I don't mind having stubble, but once I start shaving, it has to be totally smooth before I can leave it alone.

2019-03-01 17:30:31

https://groomingessentialsblog.com/types-of-razors/

f.a.t.h.e.r

2019-03-02 00:41:09

Well after using both, I prefer a wet shave, I feel that it actually takes less time for me to use a razor rather then an electric shaver.  And yes some razors do have guards over the blades so it's very difficult to cut yourself. For the past several years I've been using a 5 bladed razor, which means you need less strokes to get a nice clean shave. And yes you can either go with the hair or against it, but really even if you go with the hair growth, you will still get a nice clean shave, if you run your fingers down your face it will feel smooth, but if you run them upwards you will feel slight stubble, and if you shave against the hair growth  it will give a smooth feeling whatever way you feel your face, that's if you get all the hair that is, but if it's been a little while since you had a shave, going against the hair can feel a bit uncomfortable, so i would say if you want to shave against the hair make sure you shave a little more often.`

2021-05-19 08:49:20

Sorry to bring this back, but I wasn't comfortable making a topic about this, and this one is already here.
So everyone knows about my dog attack by now, but I don't touch on the specifics much. It's important for this question though. My eyes were messed up pretty badly. I have no lashes, brows, lids, or tears. They had to take scar-tissue from several parts of my body. One of those spots, (not sure which spot), had hair follicles. This means I have hair growing out of the bottom spot of my eye, right under the actual eye if that makes sense. I need to shave that part, but I can't because the skin below my eye is a lot thinner than the rest of my face. It's not like a tiny pinch like A normal trimmer to the face. If my skin gets pinched in the blades, it can definitely cut me, almost to the point of drawing blood. That almost happened to me, in fact. It left a little scratch that hurt a lot if something touched or pulled at it. Even touching it gently caused sharp pain in the affected area. I don't exactly feel comfortable taking any sort of shaving/trimming device to that spot, and especially not a manual raiser . Can anyone give me any tips on what I can do about this little problem?

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2021-05-19 10:42:31

can't you make use of some kind of hare removal spray?

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2021-05-19 10:59:35

That's a thing? Really?

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2021-05-19 11:15:22

Never heard of spray, but I use hair removal cream on my legs all the time. Similar sort of idea, and would probably work for this as well.
You could take an electric razer to it as well, these typically do not expose their blades, so you shouldn't have to worry about cutting it, though it may still be painful to shave. I have one myself, charges via micro USB, very simple. Hair removal cream is great right up until it isn't, and since you're using it on your face in particular, you really, really need to be careful. Like, 1 slip of the hand and you're looking at potentially losing a lot of hair.

2021-05-19 13:07:17 (edited by Rashad 2021-05-19 13:10:35)

Depending on where it is exactly, there’s always laser hair removal which will solve it long term. Expensive though.
I wouldn’t want to put hair removal spray anywhere near my eyes honestly, it’s just asking for trouble. Have you tried a non electric razor on it? It’ll for sure be better than trying to use a trimmer.

2021-05-19 13:17:45

+1 for regular razor with water and soap
Care must be taken, but the end results are better.