2019-02-19 14:38:58

You will still have access to the full-sized sd card slot.
Also, yeah, talkback might not work as well as one may think. At least on the current Touch. That being said, remember that Keysoft is a heavily expanded, customized talkback apk.
Technically, so is Easy Reader Plus. Dolphin collaborated with Humanware on that one, to add in more features and make it more braille display friendly (you still have most of your braille keyboard shortcuts from Victor Reader Soft.) So no, they didn't just put in another app in a hurry, this is a fully featured daisy reader that isn't clumsy in the least.

2019-02-19 14:41:27

Plus I've never seen any redeemable qualities of an onscreen keyboard anyway. I absolutely hate it, especially without Flicktype. I'm all for the extra gadgets to make things easier (the tap wearable keyboard, for example). If you're inclined to use qwerty, remember that you can use a USB or Bluetooth keyboard, or even a USB 2.4ghz dongle for a wireless keyboard (my Korsair k63 works with my Android in that way.)

2019-02-19 15:04:26

Bah! When I read 5600 dollars, I stopped reading. Not like I was gonna get it anyway, but these high prices make me cringe! That's even more expensive than a macbook pro 15 inch with the best upgrades!

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2019-02-19 16:36:08

So basically we get both a micro, and a standard SD slot, or just a micro? I'm confused. as for on screen keyboards, I love braille screen input.

2019-02-19 21:39:54

yes there is both. The micro SD card that goes under the battery if you decide to put one there expands what the device designates as internal storage. Then there is the standard SD slot on the back that you can put any card that is in a readable format into and backup, copy, ETC to or from.

2019-02-20 00:54:44

55, Thanks for the clarification, that actually sounds pretty neat. Again, though, I'm probably stuck with this wonderful polaris for a while.

2019-02-20 02:02:47

Oriol, Humanware is keeping their eye out for cheaper braille technology such as what was exhibited in the orbit 20, but has decided to wait till that technology actually matures. Meanwhile they have to stick to some decade-old, expensive to maintain yet tried and true, mature braille cells for the time being.

2019-02-26 00:29:55

I will just stick with my reliable orbit reader 20 displays, along with my $105 RCA cambio windows10 laptop tablet hybrid. now they just gotta fix braille blaster's bugs so it works propperly on 32bit windows for when i get my braille buddy braille embosser.

2019-02-26 00:34:24

the braille cells in my orbit reader 20 devices, in both of them, because i own two of them... are very very reliable. i was told if they added a faster processor, that would speed up the micromotor braille cells, then all cells would refresh at the same time just like in a piezoelectric display. i also read all issues with the braille me display sold by national braille press have been worked out and fixed, so that display is another low cost braille option. and the lowest priced embosser on the market is now the, braille buddy embosser, by irie-at, selling for $1495.

2019-02-26 01:15:12

From what little I've experience I have had the the Orbit Reader 20, the cell refresh rate is reallly bad. I would rather pay more for something that I know I won't have issues with, rather than paying less for something that will not suit my needs. But to each their own, I guess.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-02-27 22:45:50

So I'm possibly able to get one of these due to a grant, would you guys recommend this over the polaris?  I've never used a humanware product before, and the idea of not having a braille keyboard makes me fear typing will be slower.

2019-02-27 23:02:17

In mm opinion, the Braillenote Touch Plus is better. You still have a Braille keyboard, it's just a part of the actual device itself. The case it comes in has a keyboard built into it, which allows you to choose whether you want to type on a screen on with a regular keyboard.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-02-27 23:50:43

If you're getting any unit through a grant, get the Touch. Seriously. You'll be a lot happier with one. Besides, the Polaris is still on Lolypop, and does not tap into Android's full potential. The Touch Plus will.

2019-02-28 14:22:34

HIMS's android implumentation is an absolute joke. My polaris is sitting here collecting dust, more or less. I just can't find a use for it. As far as I'm aware, and I pray to be wrong, there isn't a way to perform tripple tap, or double tap and hold using the keyboard. Even when on kitkat, the touch probably had more native android experience. Though I'd give the touch a while before buying one, the previous generation wasn't liked by many, Humanware's always been great at advertisement. But yeah, forget the polaris, at least as it stands. And now that Humanware's updated, unless HIMS updates the OS on the polaris, expect a new polaris next year, which means previous generations won't be updated. The fact is, note takers can no longer keep up.

2019-02-28 23:28:37

I just got an windows 10 home 32bit 2gigs ram 32gb ssd with 128gb micro sd card, RCA cambio tablet with intel atom z8350 processor. It's my touch screen tablet, and when i wish, dock it to its small netbook type of keyboard and its a note-taker, plug in a powered USB hub and desktop keyboard and its a full laptop. pair it with the orbit reader20 and jaws and i get full braille output and input and control over the detachable tablet with the orbit's braille keyboard. right now the tablet is $119 on amazon. works great. is real fast and quick, plays most audio games just fine especially when connected to a full USB keyboard and some good speakers through its headphone jack.

2019-03-01 06:11:44

That's great that it's budget-friendly, but that doesn't change the fact you're cobbling multiple things together. It is great to have all that in one device to cut down on battery drainage.

2019-03-01 12:24:37

Just imagine carrying a USB keyboard, a decent external speaker, an orbit reader 20, and their respective wires on top of the tablet itself. If I want braille, I'll grab a note taker. If I want budget friendliness, I grab a more high spec tablet, with a keyboard dock, and charge the 2 at once, and the tablet then folds in the keyboard. Perhaps it won't get me that out of $100, but at least I don't need external speakers, or a full sized keyboard, so I gain back some portability there.