2019-02-26 05:18:10

Hi there,

Firstly, I looked through the posts concerning free vps's in the general game discussion and found Chriss's server recommendation. Thanks much for that man. Secondly, I have just purchased the $5.00 per month nanode server and am a bit confused as to how to start it. I was wondering if someone on this forrum would be able to assist me in getting it started? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks much,
Thomas

2019-02-26 06:14:40

Assist how, like NVDA remote? I could do that, hit me up on skype bscross32, or dm me on twitter, @bscross32 if interested.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-26 08:16:38

Hi.
Why don't you take a look at the linode community guides?
They are amazing and should help you get started with stuff.
For instance, getting started with linode, setting up a full stack webserver, etc
I recommend following the perfect server howtoforge guides which use ISPConfig and nginx or apache.
They are pretty self explanatory.

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2019-02-28 20:04:23

First of all, did you choose a distro?
That would probably be the first thing to do if you haven't done so already. A distro is something like CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian, etc. Secondly, do you have an SSH client if you are using Windows, such as PuTTY, and an SFTP programme like WinSCP? I highly recommend that you get them from http://www.ninite.com/

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2019-02-28 23:16:54

Well if you're on windows 10, those programs aren't really needed. What you can do is use the built in ssh client. If it doesn't work for you, enable it in additional features. This gives you access to ssh and sftp. It is nicer than puTTY in my opinion, even if puTTY seems to have more features. You can actually create sessions in it so you could type ssh myserver. Also you could use bash with whatever distro which is in the windows store on windows 10 you wanted. The process is actually the same.

Here's how you would create sessions. It would allow you to assign a name to your server so you could just type ssh linode or ssh digitalocean or whatever, then enter password. You could even tell it which key to use so that you don't have to enter a password if your key is passphraseless.

On windows 10, type cmd, this should put you in your userr's directory, so like c:\users\myusername. If not, go there. Change into the .ssh, the dot in front of that directory name is important. Now you want to create a file named config with no extension. Go into notepad or whatever you want to use and start it off like this, remember these entries are case sensitive

Host <uniquenameformyserver>
HostName <actual hostname to server or an ip, example mysite.com or 74.202.10.131>
User <your username on that server, fill this in to avoid having to type ssh me@server>

That's pretty much it. Don't type the angle brackets though, that's just to indicate where your text goes. And the IP I gave in that is purely fictional, if it maps out to someone's IP it was purely coincidental.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united