2019-02-27 17:46:01

I haven't seen anyone post about this, and a recent thread about a complex idle game just reminded me of it.

Trimps is probably the most complex semi-idle game I've played. You start out in a forest and have to set traps, by which you catch a little creature you decide to call a trimp. From there on, every creature in the game is named based on some modification of the word imp.

After you catch your first 2 trimps, they start breeding. From there, all kinds of things start unlocking. You can build buildings, assign trimps to jobs, upgrade almost everything in the game and equip your trimps for exploration and combat.

The early game consists of exploring the world with your trimps to discover the nature of the planet. You can find maps that let you go into areas to acquire equipment upgrades as you play through the story. You as the player can assist your trimps in anything from cutting would to gaining research points for spending on upgrades.

At certain zones in the world, new features unlock, steadily increasing the complexity of the game. Eventually you end up literally breaking the planet you're on and going into space, which opens up the game massively. Toward the end game content that exists now, there's even a tower defense style game in which you defend a dream spire you have built from enemy raids. And the game is still in development.

It's probably best to read the features list for this one. There's a dedicated trimps wiki and a lot of talk about it on the idle games reddit. You can find it at:

http://trimps.github.io

2019-02-27 17:59:42

This sounds very cool but I'll probably wait until I've finished with Kittens game for the time being to try this, since one idle game at a time is likely enough big_smile.

Also, how is the accessibility?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-02-27 18:15:29

Wow, awesome. Will give it a try.

Best regards
Pranam
Don't forget to give me a thumbs up!

2019-02-27 19:09:42 (edited by keithwipf1 2019-02-27 21:19:15)

Since this game is available on Github, it seems you can play it offline.
https://ln.sync.com/dl/cc43a1f60/ymdfaq … 9-m9jh2ut4
You can try to download the zip here.

2019-02-27 20:07:41

do they have ios app or should i just play through the site?

2019-02-27 20:10:13 (edited by Dark 2019-02-27 20:11:39)

Had a quick look at this.
I really wish there were more headings on the page to go to stuff rather than having to keep using the find text feature, also it'd be nice if things lined up, EG if "farmer 0"
and "woodcutter 2" were on separate lines.

I like the story though, and combining incremental resource gathering with combat is sort of interesting, though I wish the zones had a bit more descriptive text.

I'll probably look it over more completely when I've played through kittens game a bit further.

Btw, someone should make an NVdA addong to read mouseover text at the curser position rather tha having to jump around the screen for it, in kittens game its right at the top, in Trimps its right at the bottom!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-02-27 22:39:22

I admit   I quit playing because of the amount of screen jumping required. The pace of the game has you constantly assigning and re-assigning workers to maximize progress. Though it can be paused like kittens game, it was a bit disheartening to see that the progress I made in a week was normal for sighted players to make in a day or 2.

Perhaps someone with more time could check out some of the endgame content since that's when the game really opens up. The first 59 zones are practically the same, then things start to really change after that. There's even multiple things to be unlocked by portaling, perks, masteries and other benefits.

2019-02-27 23:03:55

I'd really suggest contacting the dev about this one, since I don't think it'd be too difficult to add a heading or two, some buttons,  or replace the mousoever text with something a bit more logical, EG links that open a text box, hell they could do what the dev of Junction gate did and have direct alerts output to NVDA instead.

I'll be interested to see what the Kittens game dev comes up with on that score, and at least kittens game has some links you can hop around once  you know the layout of the pagee.

2019-02-28 01:26:08

As far as I know, the only way to contact the dev is to catch him in a kongrigate chat room. I neither have an account nor the time to make one and sit around waiting for him. Unless there's a way to contact him through github that I don't know about. Either way it'll probably be up to someone else as I don't game much and only really play FFRK these days.

2019-02-28 02:10:49

It might be worth raising Github issues, since the developers likely do check there, also I did see on the wiki something about a donator currency, so if there is a donator email address that might be worth a try (that was how I found the developer of Kittens game).

I have found a few shortcuts though wandering around the page.
First, is that the "custom" button is the only actual link, so you can use that to find the tabs for building etc, likewise, the list of things just under the building kew is a list, so hitting l or shift l is a good way to get to and from the bottom of your log.

There is also something I discovered by accident which makes those mouseovers a bit more friendly and almost serves as the mouseover key I wanted, namely that every mouseover in the game comes with a separator, this means you can just hit numbpad slash and then  S and instantly get to the explanation of something, very handy for looking at building upgrades. I also have not been using the auto fight option since I@d always rather check the log to make sure what I'm going up against is fightable.

I've finished zone one and I can see the appeal of the game, i am amused at all the random creature names, but the interface does need a bit of tweaking, since its still not exactly %100 easy to jump around even by using the tricks I mentioned.

2019-02-28 05:27:50

Pretty sure there are also hotkeys, which could help as well. I never used them since  I was trying to play on iOS.

2019-02-28 10:03:34 (edited by Dark 2019-02-28 10:19:43)

I've already been using the f key for fight.on a regular basis, but then again I don't really like the idea of auto fighting without being able to read the screen so I prefer to read the log after each battle.
You can also turn on auto fighting with A, switch to the map screen with m and apparently set to repeat a map in the map screen with r as well as change formations with other keys.

I will say Trimps would be harder on Ios I think without navigating too and from the start of lists and without that s key to instantly view mouseovers.

2019-02-28 14:32:07

Hi,
Wow this looks interesting. Also, @davidsolomon, how accessible is ffrk, and am I right in think that it stands for final fantasy record keeper? I was going to look into it the other day.

2019-02-28 16:40:21 (edited by Dark 2019-02-28 17:00:01)

Okay this one is not as bad as I thought layout wise, or in terms of keeping up with what is going on.
You can use the l and shift l to get to the start of lists, which is a handy way of getting to just below the building kew and the end of the log, from where you can also change the display to show jobs, buildings upgrades etc, there is also the "custom" link which is just above where the actual contents of each tab display.
To get combat options about the world or about the current map, select upgrades, since unless your hoarding books there will be fewer items and you can go down from there.

You can make the layout of certain lists like the equipment list a bit more manageable by turning off "use screen layout when supported" in NvdA, you can also use the three buttons to hide log messages which is a handy way if you want to check whether you got an unlock or a story message (I wish there were more buttons but hay).

Mouseovers are a miner pain, but aren't too bad since once you hit numbpad slash, you  always move to the mouseover with the s key for "next separator"

Now, for the bad bits.

if you uncheck the "screen layout" option with NVdA it means that the map no longer displays in rows but in a long list, and I can't determine what is where.
This is fine as far as actually playing through the game and doing combats goes, because you have to play through all cells of a map in order anyway, but I doubt the tower defence game would be easy, it'd be handy to have the number of your cell reported either in the log or in the box showing the next enemy, and also to get a message when you finish a map. It'd be really helpful if there was a  indication on the various menus when the next upgrade was purchasable, with job alocations and equipment upgrades you can just click and see if the amount goes up, but with buildings since you have to either mouseover onto the building and check the cost for the next one manually, or click it and dodge up to see if its been added in the cue its fairly lengthy.

There are some completely unlabeled clickable areas in the game, for example the saving boxes for saving map configurations, though as these just involve moving sliders around it isn't too bad anyway, and  I've not yet been in a position of getting stuff that quickly.

In terms of speed and over all strategy, if your just running through a map you can set auto combat going and forget about it,this is handy for farming resources or running through same  maps extra times to get upgrades, though with most world maps I like to make sure I know whats going on to check the enemies haven't got too tough.

With resource gathering, your usually better farming maps of certain biomes anyway, though I've not yet got enough map fragments to do this efficiently, though since the  fire and recruit buttons are relatively close together switching your workers around isn't too bad when your trying to get specific upgrades for specific things.

I do think contacting the developers would be a good idea if at all possible,  since  are some fairly basic things that could be done in terms of changes in layout to make matters a bit more screen reader friendly.

Edit: Okay I created a congrigate profile and sent the developer of trimps a pm since that seems to be the only contact method I could find.

I added a link to this topic as well as my email address, so hopefully she/he will get back to me about this.

2019-02-28 17:31:17

Aaron, I'll create a separate topic about FFRK so as not to drag this one off coarse. But you are right, it is Final Fantasy Record Keeper.

2019-02-28 19:18:25

Annoyingly lost my savegame, though getting back won't be too bad at least now I know how the interface is to navigate and that auto fighting isn't too bad so long as you have the right gear, though it'll be annoying not to see any new stuff until I get to zone 11. I've still not fully worked out the map and I'm waiting for an answer on congrigate from the developer, if I don't hear anything there I'll try github.

2019-02-28 20:12:22

anyone knows what fragments and gems are?

2019-02-28 20:19:25

Fragments are used to make maps. When you hit zone 6 you can go to the map chamber and create maps.
Creating maps of the same level your on is a way to get not just more resources, but also earn upgrades.

Gems are used to make higher level buildings like mansions, though they don't become an issue until level 8.

2019-02-28 20:23:48

thanks, how can i know my current level?

2019-02-28 21:43:55

I hate to ask this, but would somebody please describe how to use the mouse with NVDA? A lot of post mention mousing over, how do you do that? I'm sorry, this seems really cool but it's super hard without the mouse over thingy. Thanks

2019-02-28 22:24:38

@AlirezaNosrati Your level is whatever zone your on, so if your on zone 8 your on level 8.
@amerikranian mouseovers are bits of text that appear on the webpage when a mouse pointer is hovered over them. They're handy for sighted people, but not so much with a screen reader.
First, make sure the page is in full screen by hitting f11 in most browsers (don't know why but this is necessary).
then,To hover the mouse in NVdA, you need to get to the thing you want to look at and hit NvdA numbpad slash, (the one just to the right of Numlock, just above the numpad 8 on most keyboards).

Once you've hit that, then you need to go and find the mouse over text on the screen and read it.
in most games this is a miner pest, however as I said previously, Trimps actually gives you a handy shortcut, since all the mouseovers have a separator in them, so just hit s and you'll be jumped straight to the text.

so for example, if you want to find out how much your next hut costs, go to the buildings tab, arrow down to where it says "hut clickable" and hid NvdA numbpad slash, then S.
You can make the menus more straight forward  turning off the "use screen layout" option in the browse mode settings of NvdA, that makes them a straight list and makes it far easier to click the right thing.

of course this means you need to find where it says "hut" again to click it, which is a miner pain, though you can speed up navigating around the page by using l and shift l to jump to lists, as well as ctrl home to go to the top and read your current amounts of resources. Also remember the hotkeys "f" for a single fight and "a" to turn on auto fighting.

hth.

2019-03-01 02:32:27 (edited by Dark 2019-03-01 02:35:17)

okay I've made it back to zone 12 now but with much better stats now that I know what I'm doing.
Actually the menu thing I mentioned of not using suggested screen layout also helps with the combat map.

If you hit T you will be on the save button, going up arrow from there you can then view the map successively, so for example if it says "metal"   immediately up from the save button, metal is what you will get from winning the fight there, you can go up to the top this way and check out all the items.
I'm not sure if this will help with the tower defence thing, and I'm still waiting for a pm back on congrigate from the developer but it does give you a vague idea of what loot will be around on each new map.

less haply the achievement screen is very graphical and not really of much use, so for achievements your better of checking the wiki, though at  when you get one it does appear in a popup at the bottom of the screen so you know its there.

On the plus side though, despite interface shenanigans I actually got a speed achievement for getting to and completing the block in under 8 hours (it probably would've been less if I hadn't stopped to have dinner, which was actually a relief since it means the slowness of navigating with a screen reader isn't too extreme even if it does take a good bit of wangling to work.

2019-03-01 05:13:50

so  does this game mine through your  computer when you play it? because my CPU usage goes high, i think yours does too.

2019-03-01 11:37:38

I'm guessing part of the high cpu usage is probably due to the game doing online saves in the background, try turning that option off if its a problem and just saving to local storage.
I've not noticed anything myself and I have 8 gb of ram over here, indeed I have the game running in another window while  write this and its fine.

2019-03-02 00:13:44 (edited by Dark 2019-03-02 03:03:02)

Just to let people know, I found an email address for the trimps developer, so sent them a message with a link to this topic just in case they're not checking their messages on congirgate. If that doesn't work I'll see if I can work my way around redit.

This one could be a bloody awesome game if some of the accessibility hitches  smoothed out a wee bit, indeed it already is bloody awesome if a bit of a pain to get your head around.

Okay had a very enthusiastic email back from the developer and she/he is now waiting for an account to be approved for the site which is awesome.

Also, a couple more layout hints to anyone else.
Firstly, it actually is possible to see what square of the current zone your on by doing a mouseover (NVdA numbpad slash), where it says the zone number or map name, EG zone 15 if your in the world map, or something like Red hill or unknown tunnel if your on a map you've created. You can also keep this up whilst doing other things provided you don't need to check another mouseover, which is a way of knowing how well your progressing in the map, though of course equally you can find that out by seeing how many trimp death messages you get and also checking out enemy stats vs your trimps, though I do wish the log could be written with one event on each line so that you could more easily see the last thing happening and get a rough idea how quickly your progressing, but we'll see where things go, likewise now that I've got more building types to play with, it'd be really handy to have an indication when looking at the menu  which ones you could and couldn't afford.

One odd thing I'm finding about hiring and firing, is that basically all resources are useful at some point, so while I started putting more workers into mining and farming and less into wood production, i still need the wood for things like shields, gyms etc, so while its handy to push your workers   around when you need a specific resource, for a specific thing, EG buying a prestige upgrade, its actually not too bad being even handed much of the time anyway, particularly as loot types from the world map are roughly equal anyhow.