2019-02-23 00:11:01

I have been toying with the idea of making a little arcade game as a hobby project. I can only work on it on the weekends so progress would be limited, but I want to give it a shot. This topic is basically a request for any creative ideas that you may have, to give me some inspiration. I can't guarantee that I will use an idea and I might mix and match them up, but I would be very interested to see what people want. I can't promise that I will finish anything and I don't know whether it will be paid or free, cross platform or not, etc. I just want to see where I can go with it and if it ends up being something worth releasing.

I was thinking of something that should be easy to learn but hard to master. Something that is fast-paced but requires strategy. Something simple but fun. Very vague, I know, but that's sort of the point.

So fire at will; no pun intended. Thanks for reading!

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall

2019-02-23 00:12:28

audio tetris? Don't know if that's been done before.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-02-23 00:28:36

Maybe an audio shooting game? That could work.

2019-02-23 00:37:13

how about a game where it's sort of like pinball, except it's like a maze thing that your character rolls through with spikes and stuff? The reason I came up with that is because I made a little toy yesterday out of pure bordum with some spikes and things and put a marble in and tried to tilt it around and avoid being scewered, I think that'd be kinda cool as a audiogame.

2019-02-23 00:40:03

@4 Seems like Sonic Spinball, if I'm correct in the comparison.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-02-23 00:42:31

Hi guys,

If I am not much mistaken, both Pinball and Tetris have been done before. Good ideas though.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall

2019-02-23 01:00:08

I meant, the ball rolls through a maze of spikes, and you have to tilt the mawhe left and right, and the spikes stay put but the ball moves to the direction you tilt the maze.

2019-02-23 01:53:54

What 4 is talking about is similar to a game from midway called marble madness, where your objective is to guide a marble through a maze while avoiding obstacles and pitfalls.

Also no one I know has done an audio frogger.

2019-02-23 01:54:20

There are not many runner games for blind, it'll be cool if you create something like that.

2019-02-23 07:55:04 (edited by Chris 2019-02-23 08:03:56)

How about finishing Perilous Hearts? In fact, maybe not even finish it, but change the direction of the project completely. You could rip out the corny storyline and use the existing jungle environment and awesome AI to create a cool online survival game. It would be fun to battle other players and animals. Players could compete for food. If you didn't have enough food, your character would eventually starve to death. Make the jungle even bigger and more complex with multiple layers of trees and branches, more traps, the ability to swing for a long time on multiple vines, etc.

You have a great infrastructure built up, so why not make it really awesome? The game doesn't have to include a bunch of professional voice acting or a super complex story. I love all the concepts you have and I've been very sad that the project has been abandoned for the last eight years. I truly think the concepts you had in PH are unique in the audio games scene and I'd love to have a finished project. I'd also be willing to pay for something like this because again, it's a unique game we don't really have.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-02-23 08:59:23

@rory-games we actually have a couple of audio frogger variants though none have used the main code, EG blindfold hopper and the curb game, and to an extent death on the road.

One style of game I've always thought we should have in audio is a closed arena shooter, like smash tv or robotron.
To explain, this is a game where your character is in a completely enclosed space and lots of enemies run in to that space. Your object is to shoot at them with a gun whilst avoiding getting hit.

Bare in mind though, that this is not a first person shooter where you run in all directions, its a top down view similar to packman, indeed in smash tv you could run in one direction whilst shooting in another.

I could imagine an audio version working similarly to great toy robbery or super deakout. You hear enemies around you with their position dictated by pitch and volume, however instead of having to avoid them like the great toy robbery elves, you could blast them away, indeed the smash Tv setup would work extremely well in audio since you could hear the enemies and respond accordingly.

Tactics included not being forced into a cornner, learning where in the arena the enemies came from and being aware of that, plus picking up power ups, also staying mobile so that you didn't get swamped by too many enemies at once.

another game I'd love to see in audio was a favourite of mine on the amstrad computer, also bought out on other platforms. This was called roland on the ropes, also known as freddy.
In the game, you played an archaeologist who'd got trapped in an underground tomb and had to make your way up.

this meant you needed to navigate a maze formed of passages going from side to side, and ropes stretching upwards, indeed though the game was a side scroller, you really didn't do much jumping around the screen, you just moved left to right along the passages or jumped up the ropes.

Each maze was randomly generated meaning you didn't know where things were. the object of the game was to make it to the very top where one rope would let you climb out of the tomb, whereupon you'd be on the next level, which was another tomb with more enemies.

the enemies in the game were quite unique. There would be little acid dropping one side or other of each rope, so you had to choose which side to climb on. there would then be rats running along some of the passages, which you had to jump over.

Larger enemies couldn't be jumped over, you'd either have to avoid them or shoot them, however your gun had limited ammo, and some larger enemies like the ghosts couldn't be shot anyway. This meant mainly it was a game of running and being chased whilst hunting to find the correct route.

What made this easier was that some enemies would chase you more than others, so for example, ghosts would pretty much ignore you and travel their own path along a pasage, so you could often just wait for them to go by. Mummies were more aggressive and would actively chase you, but couldn't climb ropes. Giant bats would also chase you, but everytime they came to a rope they'd fly upwards, so you could usually duck into a passage to avoid them.

On later levels there were skeletons and vampires, though I never got far enough to see how those behaved or work out how to avoid them big_smile.

You could pick up bonuses in the game, such as items to increase your score, bottles with a  couple of of extra health in and occasionally more ammo for your gun, though these were rare (as I said you tended to have to conserve your gun ammo)..

If you wanted to move away from arcade action, another suggestion might be constructing a tower defense game. We have Aprone's towers of war, but there is definitely more that could be done in this genre, and its a style of game wee currently don't have any versions of, it'd also be an interlectually stimulating thing I  rather than appealing to quick reactions.

And I'll stop my idea train there before it runs away with me big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-02-23 13:00:43

Liking the Frogger idea.
A different take on adapting Pacman could be fun. Pacman Talks and Armadillo Army are two completely different approaches to the concept, but I feel like there's some other way that hasn't been tried that would feel completely different.
... Actually, I think I'ma go try that myself right now.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-02-23 13:57:07

Thanks guys for all the suggestions so far!

Regarding Perilous Hearts, I would not mind doing something like this in the future but it is way outside the scope for me at the moment due to time constraints. It would be fun but there simply aren't enough weekends in a year to do it. Maybe at some point down the road though!

So far I really like the Tower defence idea. I did some research on it and I think it has a lot of potential, both for strategy and action elements if I can come up with a nice balance. I was thinking of having a humorous theme but haven't decided on a specific one yet.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall

2019-02-23 16:42:24

I would personally love to see either a city builder or an empire builder of some kind. Who knows when Nick will ever begin working on city boss again.

2019-02-23 18:56:18 (edited by Chris 2019-02-23 21:55:52)

The tower defense game sounds awesome! Aprone is the only one I know of who came up with this concept, but his version isn't as good as it could be. How about an online tower defense game where you go up against one or two other players? It would be more challenging than battling the computer which is predictable and boring.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-02-24 01:49:54

Here is a couple of ideas. A audio version of Frogger. A audio version of Cosmic Art.

2019-02-24 06:35:24

I am surprised a game was never made for megaman since i think that could be fairly easy using BGT kind of like Adventure at C: but gaining weapons after beating bosses. It may even be possible to mimic the real thing by now I suspect and it wasn't a super long game if you knew what you were doing. Actually with as many weapons as BK has there could even be a mod of megaman for that but i know that's a whole different language.

2019-02-24 07:44:57

Tower defence sounds really interesting especially if it will be Multi player. Actually for me we're missing a lot of games the video gaming scene know from years like scrolling beat em ups. Easy to pick up but hard to master if AI is well done and adding the cooperative Multiplayer it would be definitely something new on the market as there's nothing coop for us sadly.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2019-02-24 07:59:51

Much as I am a huge Megaman fan myself, that would be a pretty major project, since even in the original Megaman from 1986, the platforming could get pretty  convoluted, heck you have a weapon to effectively build your own ledges which you need to reach some higher places. A lot of the weapons had verticle as well as horizontal attributes, for example cutman's cutters looped up and then back in an arc like a boomerang, whilst elecman's elec beam fired in three directions at once, and that's before we get to some of the crazier stuff in later games, like the Mega man x and zero games giving you the ability to  kick your way up walls and cling to them.

I'm not saying it'd be completely impossible, but it'd be a much more vertical side scroller even than bk3 or tomb hunter and thus would probably be a pretty damn major project in audio.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-02-24 14:01:18

@Dark, yeah, that'd be a dream project for sure and I remember the megaman series so I know what you're talking about. I was just saying about something a bit simpler like a stright beat em up without too much of complexity just well done beat em up with coop elements. smile

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2019-02-24 14:25:33

I'm not sure on beatemups myself, whenever someone tries to create one the attack and damage rules are always the same, you have a weapon which insta hits whatever is in range as soon as you press the button, and enemy attacks will always hit you if they're close enough.

Why someone doesn't mess around with weapon range and with speed of attacks, both for you and your enemy  I don't know. Indeed its interesting that games have had attacks with a slower over all rate of fire, but not a time difference between launching the attack and it connecting.

Bk3 went some way to trying to solve this problem with the sword and hammer and so on, but there is definitely more that could be done, particularly in terms of enemy attacks.

2019-02-24 14:39:28

@CAE_Jones
I did try a new approach to Pacman, and I was really pleased with it. The only reason I didn't continue it further was because I was having problems generating the level maps. I spent so much time looking online for methods to generate the maps correctly, but i kept ending up with too many dead ends and corridors that wouldn't connect. sad Would be interested to see what you come up with, and I can send you what I managed to do. I did try Frogger as well ages ago, but I was having a lot of trouble trying to figure out how to represent certain things through audio instead of speech.

Trying to free my mind before the end of the world.

2019-02-24 14:47:49

@Dark: Try to play some old scrolling brawlers like Cadillacs and dinosaurs, ALien VS predator, Final fight etc or really interesting mixup between Beat em up and shoot em up, Shank. Everything is around the AI and your attacks and how your character is doing stuff. Beat em ups can be really strategic and interesting if it's well designed.

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2019-02-24 15:07:03

I have to agree with Chris, getting back into the lush 3D environment of that jungle you created in PH Phil would be amazing! I don't even have the demo any more, and if one day down the road that can be brought back to life, it'd be a huge hit I'm sure. I think it'd be the next swamp for blind gamers to roam around in, and and I personally wouldn't mind paying for a monthly subscription or the like if content was ongoing. But I read what you wrote, it'd be down the road, but at least let that jungle be percolating in the back of your mind while you come to terms with the rest of your projects.
Thanks! and my vote for this new game would be some kind of sim. Or if tower defense it might be, definitely have it on a multi-player server.

Above all it was good to hear from you Phil. Keep up the creative accessible games flowing.
big_smile

2019-02-24 17:30:16

What about a Power Rangers game? Those games for the snes was fun and easy to get use to the controls.
It took me a few times but I finally got a handle of the controls.