2019-02-20 02:20:40

Recently I’ve been getting back into old music recordings from the 70s and 60s. I’ve come to notice how much more I really enjoy them than most music from today. It’s not just because I like the content better.  although that is one of the biggest reasons. One thing I also think about a lot is the type of recording technology they had back then. To hear the difference and variation  of studio set ups as time goes on, the good and the bad. Today, everything sounds bland to me. Not just the music itself, but the way it’s recorded, all sounding much the same, with little  variation to me. Yes, that may seem kind of stupid to think about, But I  One individual  who has an ear for detail.

I hope no one perceives this as a rant against today’s music. That’s not the intention,  just my completely honest thoughts.

There’s also a lot of history to be found in old recordings, Through out the entire world,  from Latin America to Africa and everywhere beyond, And that’s something I’ve always appreciated.  There are some true treasures to be found in the music of countries from around the world, because it tells parts of their histories.

By the way, if anyone could  enlighten  me on what techniques they used back in the 70s and around that time for things like getting vocals and stereo sound, I’d be interested to hear about it.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-02-20 03:41:18

Do you want me to make a rant about today's music? I could do it very well.

What I personally like about the Old music from 70s and 80s is the variety of styles within styles. What I mean is that you had a pop track by a famous artist and then another pop track but you could see various different elements when comparing those two. Even the basic beats didn't sound the same.
Another thing I like about old music is that each artist was a profile, or an icon. So for instance you had a Michael Bolton and that one and only was immediately distinguishable from others. You couldn't see another artist composing songs in the style of Michael Bolton or singing like Michael Bolton. Note in today's music: an artist may sometimes sing a balad, next make a song featuring a well-known DJ who produces rough house beats plus a random mix of oriental melodies, then you see that artist publishing a new track where he/she makes desperate efforts to sing rap.
One other thing, among many others I like is the originality of instruments in 70s-80s, particularly guitars and strings. I may be wrong at this point, but to me they sound really genuine instruments, not synthesised, not too loud or too clear as I can notice in some songs of today.

2019-02-20 04:37:26 (edited by Pineapple Pizza 2019-02-20 04:39:25)

Agree with just about every thing you just said @2. But at about that time, sinths and electric instruments were becoming a thing. Thing is, they new how to make it sound good back then. They use a lot of it in some of the music I've been getting in to, but it's really good, not bland.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-02-20 05:38:40

oh god yeah I hate modern music, it's a travesty. You get good equipment, good turntable and keep your LP's pristine and you have an awesome warm, rich sound you will never find again if you never experience it. Digital can sound good, but not ever match that level of warmth and vivaciousness.

Now they are producing tracks that intentionally clip, you kidding me lol.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-20 13:55:19

That's the word I've been looking for. Warm.

2019-02-20 23:39:35

On my phone, you won't find anything by Lady Gaga or today's modern artists. You'll find Hay Jude by The Beatles, and a bunch of film soundtracks. Regarding old music, yes, it's just better. The melodies, the lyrical content, the instrumentation, the arrangement, it just seems... better. I don't really know how to explain it.
What sorts of stuff have you been listening to lately? Feel free to link via YouTube and such.

2019-02-20 23:55:26

One of my favorite old albums is Machine Head by Deep Purple. I like the 1997 remaster because you can here interesting things before the songs start and finish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwH4nt190YY

2019-02-21 01:07:25 (edited by Pineapple Pizza 2019-02-21 01:15:36)

My musical interests are quite different from many others here.  Lately I’ve been listening to music from the Andes in South America. This music often has a quite noticeable indigenous American influence. Guitars and other string instruments usually play the chords and baseline, with sometimes quite loud flutes taking the  melody.

These songs are either in Spanish, and sometimes in indigenous languages such as quechua or aymara.

There is modern music from this region, which is  somewhat the same as the older stuff,  but I think I will always like the older recordings better. They sound more authentic, more real.

There is also really good old music from latin america. Like that stuff too. I used to listen to it a lot.

Haven't looked in to this as much, but I have heard some of it. There is some pretty good old music from africa as well.

Basically, just about anywhere you loock. And everywhere you look, you may see the same reoccurring pattern. At least I do. I like the older stuff a lot better.

I like world music especially from older times because it lets me see in some cases cultures that are slowly disappearing or music styles that are slowly disappearing. I also like to see how people blend ancient music styles with modern. You don’t see much of that nowadays because in places like  Africa, sorry to generalize the continent, things like autotune are becoming way too widespread, Another complaint I have about modern music. Admittedly there are times when autotune could sound really cool, but right now it is extremely overused, And what were once distinctive music styles are now turning into a giant  soup  Bowl of blah  with bad lyrics on the side.

2019-02-21 01:48:41

I have a huge collection of music of all varieties, but I definitely find older music to be more comforting. When I was growing up, my parents, my mom, who's more into classic rock and pop, and my dad, who's mostly into classic country played music around the house constantly. My dad has always been into collecting a lot of vintage/antique things, and when I was little, he went through a phase where arcade cabinets were his thing. So, in our basement, we had a pinball machine or two, Asteroids, one of those bowling games where you put sand down on the board and pushed the metal puck thing to knock down the pins, and, my favorite, a jukebox. I spent many, many hours as a kid listening to records and playing those games. When my dad eventually lost the job he had at the time, we had to sell all of that stuff, but we kept all the records that had been inside the jukebox, because my dad knew how much they meant to me. To this day, I still have them, they're my most prized possessions, and I take good care of them while still spinning them on occasion. Listening to a lot of those songs takes me back to some of the best memories I have. Unfortunately, when I started going to school, and kids would ask me what music I liked, I would rattle off a list of classic artists, and they would be genuinely confused. Then, that puzzlement turned to scorn, and it became one more thing that I was made fun of for. Finally, after catching on a few years too late, I started to realize that maybe, just maybe, I should try to see what all the hype was about the Backstreet Boys and such. So I started getting my hands on the Now That's What I Call Music series, which I honestly can't believe is still a thing. It was as good a place to start as any, and it made me realize how locked into only liking the top 40 most people are. Now, this was the late 90's, early 2000's, and I have some guilty pleasures which I quite like from that time. Then, as a teenager, I started getting into a lot of rock music. During all that time, I denied that I ever liked any of the classics I'd grown up on, and actively ridiculed them to cover up the fact that I really missed all the associations I had with them. Luckily, I started to come around when I was maybe 16 or 17, I started listening to all of those different styles, from what I'd grown up with, to the rock and metal I'd developed a fondness for, and that's how I began expanding my music collection over time. Now I have almost 6TB worth of stuff from tons of genres, but now it's not being accused of being weird for liking older music you have to worry about, although that does happen, it's being accused of being a hipster. I guess you can't win no matter what you do.

Anyway, my favorite time period in music history is the 1960's. Everyone was an individual, everyone was evolving. yeah, a good deal of that evolution was drug-induced, but no matter how it happened, it did happen. I sometimes feel like I should have been born during that time, that I would have fit in better  as a person. Musically, everything was exploding. They say a musical revolution happens every 30 years, so I suppose we're due for one soon, but I can't see what could possibly top Beatlemania, or even the grunge movement of the 90's, not with what we currently have going on. What will it be, tracks written by AI? I guess that will be revolutionary, but it won't be one I want to have any part of.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-02-21 17:00:58 (edited by flackers 2019-02-21 22:58:28)

Wow, asteroids, there's a blast from the past. Probably the first arcade game I ever played. My local swimming baths had asteroids in the lobby., along with a vending machine that had great hot chocolate and oxtail soup. Happy days.
I was more fortunate when I was a teen in the 80s because it seemed like everyone I knew hated chart music of the time. All my friends were into stuff from the 60s and 70s, apart from one or two who were into the developing rave scene, which came with its own genre. There was some decent stuff in the 80s that you can cherrypick in hindsight, but it's different during the actual period itself. I'd say 80 to 90 percent of chart music is garbage no matter the era. The majority of chart music in the mid to late 80s was not aimed at teenage boys. There was a proliferation of heart-throb boys who obviously were never going to appeal to males, and weren't meant to. Even the ones that weren't pin-ups, were a bit too into hair products and songs about broken hearts to be very appealing. People like Floyd, Dylan, The Doors, and Zappa, weren't singing songs about being lovesick, at least not in a ssoppy way. I mean like Dylans Blood on the Tracks is an entire album about having loved and lost, but at no point does it seem like he's moping around crying into his hanky about it. He just found himself on the wrong end of a failed relationship, and used it as inspiration for some great songs. Those are the kinds of relationship-based songs I feel I can identify with. It was the mid 90s before I started getting interested in contemporary music again, and ironically, it was all down to a woman who sang the most feminine songs imaginable, but because she was female it was okay, and she pushed some buttons no male could touch. It was Tori Amos. She sang this amazing song on a TV show, and I was transfixed. It made me realise there were still people doing really interesting things musically, and thanks to her, I've discovered a lot of interesting things since.

2019-02-21 17:23:07

I've actually been listening to a lot of older Disney, and it's interesting how even Disney has changed over time. Films like Sleeping Beauty used a lot of choirs to sort of accentuate the story and provide some exposition, with some character-sung songs, although they were a bit different from what came next. The Sherman Brothers came on board in the 50's and 60's and provided so many classic tunes, and quite a lot of them sung by the film characters, or rather, it seemed a bit more noticeable that way. Then in the late 80's through the 90's when Allan Menken came on board, there was this broadway style and everything seemed really quite epic. Now, it's interesting as there's a whole mishmash. Frozen sounds a bit too poppy for my taste, and, interestingly, everything since Frozen has had this, well... scope about it that I can't really explain. It feels like Frozen was the wake up call because everything after it feels just that little bit more alive, and this definitely includes Moana and the newly released Mary Poppins Returns, both of those soundtracks seem quite complex, or have a lot of variety.

2019-02-25 23:37:51

My favorite decades when it comes to music probably are the thirties up to the seventies. I love this old Jazz and Blues sound. Artists like Benny Goodman, the Andrew Sisters or Frank Sinatra, for example. There was individuality in all those songs that is simply missing from most chart hits these days. Luckily I found out about my preferences when I was seventeen or so, the age when friends no longer think they're cool when they laugh about someone liking old music smile A few years later, I've bought an old gramophone for 78rpm records and it's really great. It's a completely different feeling having to wind up the turntable, insert a new needle (gramophone needles only work for about two songs) and so on.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2019-02-26 00:12:29

A gramophone is definitely on my want list, I love the sound. Yeah, you can obtain digital copies of the music of that era, or any era, nowadays, but hearing it how it was meant to be heard is an experience all its own.

As for blues, I'm definitely a fan of pre-electric blues myself. What fascinates me about it is how brutally honest it is. So much of what blues music was about in the 20's and 30's was sex, poverty, drugs, more sex, and reefer madness, and oh, did I mention sex? Some of it is just so over the top it makes me laugh, while some of it is shockingly brutal, misogynist, and just plain sad. Very, very few other genres quite give you the window into a marginalized, desperate population the way early blues music does. In fact, most music of that time period was, well, insensitive by today's standards. If you listen to country music from the same era, the n word gets dropped quite a lot, as do other popular racial slurs of the time. And again, there's almost a gleefulness about it, as well as abuse of women and children being glorified, which is rather horrifying. But none of that offends me. It's history. A lot of those attitudes would be buried if not for music, like many art forms, being preserved. You can't forget where you've come from, because then you make it ok to continue being dicks, to put it bluntly. Also, I really enjoy it when someone rants and raves about how sinful and awful today's music is, and you can say, "actually, check out this old obscure blues song! Music has always been this way."

You know, I really miss that topic we used to have on here, it was called rate the song or something like that. People would post a link to a song, and the next person would give it a rating out of 10. Someone mentioned posting Youtube links earlier in this thread, which made me think of it. Maybe someone should create a thread like that again, or at least one for links to music we're digging at the moment

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-02-26 03:42:04 (edited by flackers 2019-02-26 15:49:47)

Pre war blues is pretty hard to beat. We just don't seem to be able to play instruments quite that way any more. Even something like Henry Thomas' Fishin Blues, which in some ways is quite sloppily played, has an authenticity that make the technically superior covers seem like pale imitations. Here's a few of my favourites.
Blind Willie Johnson God Moves on the Water
Geeshi Wiley Last Kind Words
Golden Gate Quartet Preacher and the Bear
Robert Johnson Preachin Blues
BB and group Black Woman
Meanwhile across the pond, this is what we Brits were up to lol
Harry Roy and his Bat Club Boys My Girl's Pussy

2019-02-27 00:50:35

Nice ones, particularly that last one. That's a prime example of what I'm saying that some of the music of that time period was downright amusing.

Here's some that come to mind for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1yhaBsD8Vw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYCvFoe045E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAt6VEtdXjY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsfcUZBMSSg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sav69yju_y8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFMF0agBlWs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heYxa6yX2os

That should keep you guys busy for awhile, lol.

2019-02-27 01:42:48

Lucille Bogan doesn't leave much to the imagination, hehehe. Funny how cock has changed its meaning since then.

2019-02-27 06:49:15

Yeah, the first time I heard that, I was astounded that cock meant, well, what she said it meant then.

2019-03-05 17:44:59

Lol, an idiot pretty much accurately summarised much of our current music. Autotune is definitely over-used, even by people who can actually sing without it. I'm curious since you mentioned african music, what do you listen to?