2019-02-19 14:49:36

So I am looking into a job at a call center for a meal service at a major Hospital. There pos system is web based but they have buttons fore all there meal options. I'm waiting on a call from there IS people. Its the same storie could we even allow it on are system. I was thinking about this. Most companys don't want outside sources in there systems is this going to be the case in the future for equal opportunity? Sorry for that I guess the question is will NVDA work on a point of sale system if its a web based back end?

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2019-02-19 16:38:02

Most likely yes. I hope you get to try.

2019-02-19 18:24:51

Hmmm.
If the system is web based and is just a website on a server, as long as you could connect your computer to it, they could allow you access.
Every extra bit of software could be a potential security risk, that includes screen readers.
At my university they were quite carefull, they allowed jaws and only jaws mainly because of contracts but even to connect your pc to something and use that, could be a problem in itself.
But if this is a website if they can allow you access to that site so you can access it yourself then fine.
I don't think nvda would be a risk but their people will have to look at it and confirm if that would be ok or not it probably will.
A pos system is usually an imbedded windows system.
However as I said, as long as you can get a computer on the network to access that that will be fine.
If the company will give you a work computer configured for their network thats also an option.
Finally if they are ultra secure, you may have to run on a virtual applience, my brother says he needs to access some stuff that his company don't want just anyone to access or install on their computers even company ones and a lot of vms are used he does have a locked down workstation for company work though which he can't do anything bar company work on but at least he can do his job so.

2019-02-19 18:55:27

They're not going to allow NVDA onto their system, I can almost guarantee that. The reason is that NVDA addons leverage the power of Python entirely, they have no restrictions. I could write an NVDA addon that would just start deleting your files and overwriting behind itself so recovery tools would have a tougher job finding the files. NVDA already is a keylogger of sorts, if you turn the debug setting in general settings to its maximum setting, every keystroke you enter is recorded into the log so that if you ever need to send it to NVAccess at that level, they will have all the information they need in order to determine the cause of a problem. Now, let's say I write a neat little addon called macro manager or something. The addon lets you record a series of events, and trigger NVDA to perform those events at the press of a keystroke. Let's say my little nefarious self embedded a keyloggger into the addon, such that the thing did its job, but it also sent everything you entered back to my server. Now, the first time you enter a password, a credit card number, your SSN, etc. You're done, I've got you. This is my reasoning behind why I think they will disallow it.

Now, JAWS on the other hand, what it's got going for it is the scripting side of it is somewhat limited, and also, proprietary, so they'd have to learn its syntax and how to use it first. JAWS scripts also will not allow you to do system wide things as I understand it, which my understanding is limited since I don't use JAWS. So I think they will allow JAWS on there, and further, I think they will have to buy it if they hire you, there are laws about reasonable employee accommodations.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-19 19:20:21 (edited by Chris 2019-02-19 19:35:14)

I don't know how Windows Embedded works, but if it allows you to install applications, NVDA should? work. Just make sure they're not using Windows XP Embedded.

Why do you necessarily have to install NVDA add-ons? NVDA in it's default installation form is more than adequate to do 99% of computing tasks most people would need it to do. If anything, I'd say people should be looking at NVDA more closely than JAWS. The source code is publicly available, so someone who knew what they were doing could comb through it and see exactly what the software does before installing it. JAWS is closed source, so for all we know, the folks at Freedom Scientific could be doing all sorts of nefarious things that are invisible to the average user.

There's also the interesting potential of Narrator. If Microsoft is updating the same copy of Narrator in Windows Server and embeded systems, it will only get better and better. Why bother installing JAWS or NVDA when you can use a built-in solution? My hope is that Microsoft will improve Narrator compatibility with the default Windows remote tools such as Remote Desktop and Assistance. Wouldn't it be great to one day use the default tools in Windows to control other Windows systems? See https://microsoftaccessibility.uservoic … t-remote-d and provide your input. All we have to do now is get rid of Windows 7 and all this other legacy shit with shitty accessibility.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-02-19 20:34:36

The question shouldn't be why should you install addons, it should be what can addons do. Even if a potential employee had no intention to install addons into the work system, it is still possible, and it is a wide open security hole that leaves the company vulnerable. This would be vastly lessened with JAWS, because JAWS scripts aren't allowed to do the same things that NVDA addons can.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-19 23:11:31

There a very locked down system so even getting jaws is a pain because of HIPA laws.

Bitcoin Address:

2019-02-20 00:36:50

right

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-20 17:48:10 (edited by Chris 2019-02-20 17:53:18)

All the more reason for Microsoft to work on improving Narrator, Magnifier, and their other accessibility features. They should be focusing on making them work better with their remote technologies, Windows Server, and POS systems. Why bother installing third party products that *might* pose security risks to a company when you can use in house solutions built into the system? If Microsoft is as serious about improving employment for folks with disabilities as they claim to be, they need to get started working on this stuff right now.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-02-20 20:45:40

I have signed up with a staffing place but I think I might have this problem in other settings such as a call center. The job they found for me was Customer service at a automotive payment company. I'm worried that I may run into the same thing there as I did at this Hospital.

Bitcoin Address: