2019-02-19 10:06:50

Hi all!
So, next week I have to talk to a group of parents who have blind children about gaming. The children are between 6 and 13 years old, however, they want be present at the conference. I was looking for games that they can play with their sighted friends, so to demonstrate to the parents that gaming can help with inclusion. I think I will present some of the blindfold games, Feer, maybe soundrts and swamp for the older children. However, I wanted to propose also some mainstream games, and I came across 1 2 switch and Mario Cart 8 deluxe, that I didn't know where accessible. Can you tell me more about those 2 games? And, do you have any other suggestion? I'll also talk a little bit about tabletop games, however, I have just an hour and half, so I will not be able to go into details.
Thanks in advance!

2019-02-19 10:54:16

hi
I'v played top spead, 9 years a go when I was child and that was good game to start with
then, I played english games which that havn't translation like dark distroyer, dark blaster, and q9, 6 years a go
I hope this games can help

2019-02-19 11:16:05

Swamp is a good idea as an audio game with visual assistance and an online community, I'd also suggest Crazy party as an example of a really good completely audio game which is playable online against other people and has a variety of different styles of challenge.

You might also want to look into some of the more recent audio adventure projects like Echoes from livia which has graphics and tries to give at least some visual experience with a cinematic atmosphere.

Lastly, you might consider mentioning web games as a way of  boosting people's computer skills (it was playing legend of the green dragon that first taught me to use the internet), and muds for reading literacy and communication.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-02-19 11:35:40

audiodisk is a game  that you can play it with other people but you need to use the same computer, and there's  mortal kombat 9 that you can use soni fight and play it with others sonifight makes the game accessible so you don't need OCR to read the menus, also there's a game called sonic zoom, but that game isn't multiplayer it only has high scores that's stored on your save file.

2019-02-19 11:53:43 (edited by siria 2019-02-19 11:59:35)

Yeah, I wanted to avoid MK because it's very brutal and I don't know if parents would find it too disturbing. Maybe though I could talk about Marvel vs Capcom or Injustice 2? They have comics characters, so they may seem less violent...
Also @Dark, I should have mentioned that the children are Italian, so, at 6, 7 years, they don't have a great knowledge of the english language. That could be an advantage, because playing browser games and interactive fiction should help them learning new words, but could also be a limit. I was going to propose some Italian IF, but I don't know if there are also Italian browser games or english text games with a quite simple language.

2019-02-19 12:04:09

For a very inclusive and non-violent game, the rhythm heaven games are very accessible and playable by blind and sighted alike. It's actually where rhythm rage came from.

2019-02-19 12:24:58 (edited by Jod 2019-02-19 12:25:56)

well yeah injustice is cool but marvel vs capcom is less accessible IMO

just recommended mk9 because of that soni fight thing it makes menus accessible.

2019-02-19 12:25:55

hi
try web browzer games, like vandetta crime

2019-02-19 14:18:43

I believe there are none English ports of some browser games such as legend of the green dragon, I was checking out popmundo today for the db and saw options for none English there too so it might be worth checking some web games out.

I also wonder if there are any Italian translations of Crazy party in the works, or if one could be put together. I haven't heard anything but as my Italian is limited to singing  operatic Arias and a bit of basic tourist conversation I don't know if there are any Italian language communities of audio gamers who might know more directly.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-02-19 17:55:34 (edited by defender 2019-02-19 18:10:54)

I wouldn't go with Swamp unless you mute the radio, that community can be pretty toxic, and even when it's not it's pretty adult allot of the time.

I'd say the blind swordsman, but it's quite brutal and the sisters part is a bit sexual, maybe okay for the older kids though? How ever it is really not easy, especially as a kid as it's timing and patience based.
Dragon Village actually has graphics and text I believe...
For IOS, Zany touch is a great intro to audio games, as it has difficulty levels, simple gameplay, and visual cues, the only problem being that the voice is in English.
Some of the ticon blu games aren't bad, space encounter for instance,, plus, I believe they have graphics and I know they have Italian language modes.
I'm pretty sure audio game hub also has graphics, and all the games are kid friendly enough, though the maze game might be too scary.

I believe that Super Tile Smash may have graphics as well, and similar type games like dice world, Game world, night commander, path of adventure, a few minutes of glory, nano empires, two steps, and crafting kingdom may have graphics too, and possibly also language options as most everything is text.

I really wish we had more games with visual elements, but I think you've found a decent set of them, as I can't imagine this part of the conference being extremely long.

2019-02-19 18:12:55

For mainstream games, yeah. Avoid the MK because the parents will probably complain. tongue The kids would probably love it, but... ehh. What can ya do?
Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 would be a nice one if you have it, but maybe not because gameplay goes so damn fast so it may or may not make a good intro. Injustice 1 and 2, Street Fighter IV or V, Killer Instinct might be a bit much what with the ultimates. Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4, maybe? Some of the kids there might even already know the series if they watch anime, and the story mode of that one is completely playable. I'm surprised nobody's said Skullgirls yet, heh. Space Channel 5 for a fun rhythm game. And lastly, one of the Jackbox Party Packs for multiplayer fun.
For audiogames, most have already been said. Swamp is challenging and decently complex, Crazy Party is simple on the surface but has some annoying minigames, card battle is basically Pokemon. Maybe Bokubo/BD/Bokurano Daibouken 3 with the translation dictionary? The great toy Robbery, grinding for achievements aside is a good example of a simple game that is still fun, and gives you a reason to keep coming back. Others I just thought of now: A Hero's Call, Audiostrike if you really wanna blow minds with bullet hell.
Hopefully some of this gave you at least 1 idea. lol Although like you said in post 5... if they don't have much knowledge of English, that could be a problem for a lot of these.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2019-02-19 18:14:36

To be honest I went through setting up games for a blind school some years back.
Firstly you don't want anything with shooting people or anything, there are some religious people that would get really narky at you about it.
So.
You want games which everyone can play.
Firstly, all the 7128games are free for pc at least.
2.  the kitchensinc games which are free, bar dungeon, coupling, tjs test and tjs, strip jack naked I think and another adult game are not playable.
On the sighted front, the jackbox games are good.
Due to steam I onluy have got the jackbox 20 dollar pack which is limited to 3 players and needs the same computer, however every jackbox game including the partypacks are xbox playable.
Most of them are ps3 4 and x box 1 at least some older ones run on 360 to but just about everything is xbox 1 compatible.
gma dice, cards and lander are other posibilities.
Final conflict by usagames from audiogames archive is good, as is trek2000 by gma, lone wolf and tank commander.
Not sure about shades of doom 2, packman talks is good as its arcade.
Gma total conflict is quite good.
The beatstar game is quite good, as well as rythm rage, vilins from beyond, in fact every game of oriol's is good.
Some of the audiogames experimentals like tampocme are good.
Some of the lworks games are good.
Superliam, standard mod is fine, as is slide super egghunt, the abandond lockpick, and pigion panic.
All the rsgames are good.
And posibly the quentin games.
Sadly, the playroom community has gotten strange.
There are a lot of non english speakers on the playroom whenever I have tried to go on.
Worse, they either don't know how to play or are really bad at doing so.
Often I get kicked for no real reason and I often have to wait for people and sometimes people are not patient enough, so I don't go on that much though I do from time to time if I want something.
The all2play or is it all in play stuff is good to.
All the spoonbil games are good.
Ear hockey from ms is good.
All the freedom games are good and x wheel from x sight on agarchive is good to.
I think you have more than enough to choose if you want to get started.
As for web games, alterego is good for a basic game, its a bit outdated but its fine.
I never got into the major community games like core exiles fully as I reached a point where after grinding and grinding and getting into a guild I ran out of things to do easily.
The next thing would be muds I guess but they can take a lot of work.
Alterian could be the one with the best audio and while eventually it will get a bit boring there is enough to start on for a bit anyway.
For starters, the kitchensgames should be enough.

2019-02-19 18:27:14

hi again
try the on tois, all of people can play it

2019-02-19 18:38:55

I would not recommend swamp for two reasons. The violent nature of it for ones so young as these children you mention, and the community surrounding it is well... less than wholesome. In regards to violence and extreme gore, MK is definitely out.

I would recommend Crazy Party, Top Speed 3, Aprone's Triple Triad game, Manamon and Marina Break. Top Speed 3 and Crazy Party both have online play

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-19 20:20:31

Thanks all! That's what I have in mind so far, considering also the games I know best.
1: Showing rhytm rage and crazy party for pc: rythm rage because I was told that lots of those kids love music, Crazy Party because of the different minigames that can
exemplify lots of audiogames concepts.
2 Showing Blindfold Breakout and a puzzle game for iPhone, don't know wich one yet. I've chosen Blindfold breakout because I find it challenging and because it's an "action game", but feel free to give me another suggestion. I didn't consider Zani Touch because I went for rythm rage before.
3 Showing a complex game, maybe soundrts because it has an Italian translation and simple graphics.
4: Showing 2 snippets chosen out of those three videos: a blind gamer playing Mario Cart, a blind gamer playing 1 2 switch, a blind player playing a fighting game I still have to choose. Maybe I'll stick with the fighting game and just one from the Nintendo, since I don't know wich consoles they have.
5: Since I think that between the explanations and the parents's question my time will be almost over, I think I'll have to choose between talking about text games of any sort and tabletop games. And, even if I love text games in general, I think I'll go for the tabletop games, since I think that having something to touch will keep the attention up in this final moments and that there are more possibility that their sighted friends will play with them.

Finally, I'll give them a document with more suggestions, dividing the games in categories based on their complexity and on the presence or lack of graphics.

I'll certainly talk about Ticon Blue since they are Italian, but, personally, I don't feel like promoting it too much, because I've always felt disappointed by the quality of their games. However, as I said, that's a personal opinion.

2019-02-19 20:43:40

very good plan

2019-02-19 21:06:49

@12, there's a game, called firefight, i was used to hold grenades  in my hands and say that  word, i probably get a warning if i say it here ahahah. invite the religious people to that game if they really think that it's a bad thing to kill someone in a game and itll send you to hell,  i'm probably in the middle of it ahaha

2019-02-20 00:45:18 (edited by magurp244 2019-02-20 04:28:53)

Well since were talking about kids here, games like Manamon or Braillemon might be good choices, since Pokemon is still pretty popular. I know Braillemon has a basic graphical front end, though its largely utilitarian. I'd also recommend all the Somethin' Else games like NightJar and Papa Sangre, but alas they're hard to find these days... Would Pen & Paper games like D&D fall under the umbrella term of "table top games" the same way board games would?

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2019-02-20 03:23:28

Ouch, there are some really wildly inappropriate suggestions here. Please remember this is 6-7 year olds that we are talking about. There are games being suggested that are rated teen or adult.

2019-02-20 09:48:23

Hi!
18: Yes, d&d for me goes under the umbrella of tabletop games, but, unfortunately, I don't think I've time for that. However, I'll consider also what the kids are interested in... And that may be difficult, since at the conference there will be only their parents ahahah. And actually, I was thinking about braillemon too, but it is not finished yet, and in Crazy Party there is the card mode that's pretty similar to pokemon concept, so I'll go with that one.

I've also discovered that Feer can be played in Italian, so, for the iPhone, I'll propose Feer and the 2048 game from Blindfold Games, so to demonstrate an action game and a simple puzzle that they can easily understand.
Going to work now.
Have a nice day.

2019-07-13 11:55:08

thx siria for proposing FEER to the italian kids.
we have a vivid italian community playing FEER.

There is also a second theme with robots, that suits the younger ones better.
best hansjoerg from FEER

2019-07-14 22:03:08

Manamon is something they are going to want to know about, but it is not a game with graphics.
Some IOS games with graphics are: Crafting Kingdom, Salara, and MUD Rammer (Muds are for both PC and IOS).
Also, Kingdom of Loathing is a browser based game that is pretty good.
The Blindfold games developer is starting a new company to make inclusive games for education called Objective Ed:
https://www.objectiveed.com/
You may want to talk about them.

2019-07-15 09:06:10

Thank you, but the conference was 3 months ago ahahah. However, it went well, better than what I was expecting. Parents where very interested and, what I liked the most, they had a positive attitude toward the future of their children as normal people. It's not something I see everyday. I mean, most of the parents I meet are scared and apprehensive and they are the first to see their children as negatively different, and, if that's normal, that's also bad.