2018-06-26 13:09:19

Hello all!
This topic has two main goals :
Fist, I wanted to know if some people around here were allready playing discworld mud and, if not, I have to recommand it to you. As you may have figured out, this mud is based on the univers created by Terry Pratchet . It is, of course, ful of references and is particularly respectfull of the rules and structure of the discworld itself. In spite of the pleasure you might have by traveling around a world you've probably discovered long ago in many different books, this mus offers an original gameplay, even if you don't know about the discworld or didn't like the books/films/whatever.
With more then one million rooms to explore, guilds to progress in with many many ways to consider professionnal life (depending on the country/continent you choose to start in), this is probably the biggest and the most complexe mud I've ever seen.

For those who are allready playing it now, I'd have some questions.
I started playing a few days ago. To set a minimal context before asking anything, I must tell you that I'm a native French speaker. I really enjoyed Pratchett's books, but I read them in French. You've probably noticed that my English still needs a lot of improvement, but I wanted to try this game anyway.
I choze the wizards guild, knowing that I was puting myself in a very difficult linguistic situation, but that was, among the six or seven guilds, the one that seemed the most appropriate to me according to the help files and, of course, to the books.
Communication was as difficult as I feared, but the structure of the guild itself was perfectly reproduced in the mud. There are many things I'm strugling with.
First, I've read that students had the opportunity to apply for a grant provided by the faculty. I saw two different procedures, I mean two set of people I should contact for that purpose. I've sent mudmails to all those people and didn't get any answer. Do my mudmails need to be more or less rp? Is there anything I'm doing wrong?
More practically now, I started learning spells. The first probleme is of course money. I haven't left Ank-morpork yet, but I thougt I could find some job/quest in the city to earn some coins. Maybe I'm not searching correctly, not saying the right word to the right person, or missunderstanding some descriptions, but the only coins I've found for now are some pences on the floor and obtained by selling a random item picked up on a street.
One last question now : I still managed to learn some spells and skills. But, for example, when casting malich's penetrting ocular lance on dwmmigh (the training demon in the gymnasium), I don't deal any damage, even after having learned the channeling skill above 85, as mensionned in an online syllabus I found. It could be a lake of intelligence, but I thought this demon was made for students, and it's surprising to see that an basic offensive spell can fail on him.

Sory for the long long post, but I've been  trying to understand all this for more then a week now, and I really don't want to give up such an amazing mud.

Best regard,
Simon

2018-06-26 14:46:27

Hi Simon, great your trying this mud out, it has apparently got some really good adaptations for blind players, actually it probably needs a db page.

My personal problem when I tried it was an utter lack of direction which actually sounds similar to the issue you have.
i did the tutorial area in the pumpkin village which was awesome, I liked the quests, I trained some melee skills etc however then I got dumped  in Ankh-morpork and basically had nothing to do.

I didn't find navigating a problem in itself since all the streets were well named, but basically the game just seemed literally flat, though I wanted to try a few things out before trying a guild specifically.

There was a "questlist" command but it didn't give any idea of where to go or which npcs to talk to, indeed I was disappointed that many notable characters from the books, from junior postman Grote to Corporal knobbs just seemed to sit there and I couldn't interact with them.

IAbout all I could do was scavenge the street for cash, challenge random wildlife to fights and wander around. When I asked on the newbie channel all I got was "being a newbie is hard"

Give me a little direction, give me something to do, really there are random wander and kill muds all over the place and all I'd learned about diskworld indicated the game should be more than that, but honestly that was all I found in several real world hours of play time.

I have since  heard that there is a job market somewhere with random go and fetch type quests rather like the missions in aardwolf, though I never tried it myself (indeed given all my wandering the city didn't find it it must be well hidden), similarly, I gather there are npcs with quests and such kicking around the place, but when the mud is so completely huge  even important npcs seemed utterly unreactive and the quest list was zero help whatsoever, it seemed like you really needed to be in the know to know where to go to find things. Indeed I am recently getting really irritated with muds who have this "no qinfo" policy as though giving players a hint or so were some sort of blasphemy (another debate), though that was very much the feeling I got in discworld.

Honestly, I found the game deeply disappointing, beautiful writing, a great world, lots of skills and such and guilds to learn, and yet the net result was literally just scrabbling around the streets picking duels with rats and ravens and seeing npcs who dwon't talk to me.

Can you say wasted potential?

I do intend to try the game again at some stage, but I confess my first experience left a very bad taste, not the least because of how much I love the books (read them all, some of them multiple times).

So no specific answers to your question, and please don't take my experience as absolutely true since I do need to give the game another chance, for the db if nothing else.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-06-26 17:07:53

Hi Dark,
thanks for your answer. Actually I get the same feeling. To me this mud is in fact a massive and realistic world (as realistic as possible considering the general atmosphere of the books tongue ), and therefor the idea is for us to take exactly the path we wish.
So we get trapped between people that allready got used to it and don't remember how it was before (keep in mind that this game is about 27 years old) and a planet all made of possibilities, hypothesis and opportunities.
I'm affraid I won't last long if this feeling of global confusions persists, but I'll keep on trying as long as I can.
Again, thanks for your answer! It's good to see that I'm not the only one to get lost in this world full of choices and without any indications.

Best regard,
Simon

2018-06-28 01:09:27 (edited by Jason SW 2018-06-28 01:12:11)

Hello,

I've been playing this game, on and off, since about 2005, and I have a very good idea of where things are in the city, how to get there, etc. I'd be happy to answer any of your questions.
For a starting character, especially for someone who is blind, I would recommend starting with a character in a guild that has its own transport method, so that you can transport yourself without having to rely on others.
That means either priests, witches, or wizards.
Priests have the ritual "divine hand", witches have brooms, and wizards have the spell "Jogloran's Portal of Cheaper Travel".
Assassins, thieves, and warriors can cast the portal spell from scrolls, but only after spending a large amount of xp on the skills necessary for the portal spell and scroll handling.
The job office is exactly six south, west, south from outside the Mended Drum in Ankh-Morpork. You will need to be at least close to fluent in Morporkian to be able to read the sign and your job writ, and understand what the job office manager is saying.
Let me know what other questions I can answer. Maybe we can all meet on DiscworldMUD, and I can lead you around and help you get started.

2018-06-28 01:20:46 (edited by Jason SW 2018-06-28 01:22:06)

As for quests:
There are quest solutions on the official DiscworldMUD site, but in some cases, the solutions on the unofficial wiki are better than those on the official DiscworldMUD site.
DiscworldMUD quests page: http://discworld.starturtle.net/lpc/secure/quests.c
Enter your character name and password to log in.
Quest solutions (unofficial wiki): https://dwwiki.mooo.com:8080/wiki/Unoff … _Solutions

2018-06-28 04:10:52

Darn you Jason, you're making me want to play again. I forgot how in depth this mud is. Now if only new moon would come back up.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2018-06-28 17:09:01

Is their a soundpack for the game? and yeah, the problem I had was the areas are huge and their is no way to find streets especially when you take a job and its like go to random sidestreet here but I can't find that random side street and its all timed meaning I can't really wander around.

:D happy to help out with games and the like... maybe :D

2018-06-28 17:33:29

New Moon went down?

2018-06-28 20:43:25

I had the same problem as dark. once I finished the training area I landed in ank with no idea what to do or where to go and just gave up.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-06-28 21:19:09

Yep, it's gone sadly. Has been for at least a couple months.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2018-06-28 21:53:56

If any of you would like to try it again, I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have. Seriously. Any question at all.
There are no soundpacks, to be honest. I've put together some helpful functions and sounds for MUSHClient and TinTin++, but there's nothing like AA has.
A guy who goes by Pendrake on the MUD has some sounds on his site, and I've created or used some sounds to let me know when certain events happen, such as special attacks, but that's about it.

2019-02-15 22:33:27

Hey all, I've just started playing discworld, and I'm running into the same problems you all have had.
Once in Ankh-morpork, there's nothing to do, and seemingly no where to go. Or, how to get there. I've logged in ten times, and still don't have a clue where to get a talker.
I'm out of money and can't train skills, and and its getting boring...

Anyone still playing can lend a hand to get me jump started? I really wanna play this mud!!! Thanks lol

2019-02-16 07:58:17 (edited by Jason SW 2019-02-16 07:59:49)

Hello,

I'd be happy to help you however I can. Let me know who you are on Discworld, and when you tend to play, and I'll try to be on at that time. Or we can try and set up a time.
I'm in central time, but I don't have a lot going on right now, so I can be flexible.
Until then, though, You should have been given a voucher for a talker. If you go two east and south of outside the Mended Drum, you can "exchange voucher for talker".
If you want to join a guild, I can post directions, or we can talk about that later.

2019-02-16 09:17:44

Thanks man, that'd be appreciated! I'm central time zone also. I've joined the thieves guild, and my name in game is Kinit. And thanks for the directions to find a talker. lol Not sure why I hadn't found that spot.
I hope I can find a general shop where I can sell stuff I've picked up along the way. I'm down to like 3-pence.
smile

Let me know your name, and I hope to meet up soon with ya.

2019-02-16 09:51:11

Hi Mike,

I just sent you some mudmail, but in case that doesn't work for you, I'll also PM it to you.
I look forward to meeting you in-game.

2019-02-16 10:18:36

I should get back into discworld as well, I was in the thieves guild as well but ran into the same issues as everyone else, finding places that the jobs required and finding what to do to make money.

:D happy to help out with games and the like... maybe :D

2019-02-17 13:56:24

Some tips.
Firstly, certain guilds are easier than others, and certain guilds are better than others. For example, the warriors guild, while very easy, is a complete bust once you hit the mid game as all you can do is fight, which is what everyone else can do; you have no marketable skills. The best guilds for newbies are probably thief, because you can make boatloads of money once you hit the mid game, and wizard, even though it takes a bit more time to grasp because you can get pretty powerful pretty fast (it's possible to be soloing areas with 4 days of play time that give 30 day warriors difficulty if you're an expert player who knows what they're doing, just to give you a sense). Priests and witches are pretty neat too, but I'd stear clear of assassins because they require you to go PK at a low level, which will realistically suck as a newbie.
Finding things is one of the hardest things in game, although the wiki has a half finished text map of some of the cities on it's accessibility page for basic orientation. part of the disc experience though is going to be getting so hopelessly lost that you've got no idea where you are. 50 room long streets with many intersections are not uncommon.
What might help are a set of plugins that were created by a discworld player named Quo which, while designed for sighted players are semi usable. they allow you to search for a particular shop/street ETC and generate a speedwalk to that place. you can find them by refering or fingering the player, it should be in there somewhere. Don't forget to add in the standard mush accessibility plug ins yourself.
If you really get stuck on things to do, the wiki has complete solutions for all quests, all of which give you tuns of experience and some of which give you money. Each guild has a bunch of websites created to help you understand it's specifics, which you can find either on the guild page on the wiki or by asking around in game.
If you start in Ankh-Morpork, you can get a talker by going two south, two east, and south of where you start out at the bar of the mended drum.
Players tend to be very helpful, but it is worth noting that DW is one of those games where many people log in to idle and be social rather than to actively play a lot of the times, I can think of at least 10 players who are often logged in and actively chatting but probably haven't left the room they're in for literal years. It's one of those games where the newibie experience is very sucky if you're not the kind of person who makes friends quickly, because otherwise you end up wandering around confusedly grinding away with no idea what you're doing.
Personally, I haven't played in years, but I've been debating creating a new character and seeing where things go, so if I see any confused newbies around I'll see what I can do.

2019-02-17 18:38:43 (edited by MikeFont 2019-02-18 02:12:57)

@Rashid, thanks for the tips, any help is seriously appreciated. Info on gameplay through various classes is good stuff to know as I've only experienced a tiny portion of the life of a super newb thief. lol
My second char is going for priest as I enjoy the skills of healing myself and others. Hense all of my chars on Alter are clerics second class. with primary druid or necro.

The fact that I have alter set up through mushZ. And I'm a complete novice working with mush client. I'm not sure how to proceed how to set up DW using this  client.
I assume I'd install a second version of mush client to work seperatly with discworld? correct?
As far as plug ins, I'm bloody clueless. Where would I get other handy accessible plug ins to work with DW in mush that would make life a lil easier?
Trying to answer my own question here, I'd finger this player and get a link to download his pack, sound right so far? As for now, I've turned to using Vipmud 2.0 as I can write sound triggers through that like a pro. But I even know, this vipmud thing  can only be temporary. I'd really like to start using mush!

Sadly, referring or fingering quo only revealed the following:
Login name : quo                       Real name : Banished                   
Not really many seconds old.
No mail ever.
No plan.
No future.
Does anyone else have his plugins?

Another discworld related question I had was. I enjoy melee combat, and would still like to be good at it, but being a priest, would or should I go with a god that's more combat orientated like Sek?
Though, I didn't want to have to be so eveily aligned. lol The god of fluff was my original deity of choice.
\I'd really appreciate any feedback y'all can give to help me along my way, with the least amount of frustration. Its a big help! thanks guys!
big_smile

2019-02-18 18:29:30 (edited by Orin 2019-02-18 18:34:18)

New moon is back.

Edit: Discworld in general is awesome. If I join again I'll probably go Wizards. Unscene University is awesome.

2019-02-18 18:29:58

Hi Mike,

First of all, the name is Quow, q u o w.
Priests of all gods get the totem ritual for early protection, and the dust devil ritual for assistance in killing things. Later on, they get minor shield, and then major shield for even better protection.
Priests of Hat, Fish, and Sek get more potent offensive rituals, such as unquiet spirit and creeping doom, but you don't need to become a priest of those gods, since anyone can learn to fight. Of course, since priests don't get any fighting primaries, it will cost you more xp, but it's doable.
Let me know what the name of your other character is, or send me a tell/mudmail, and I'll help you get started.

2019-02-19 12:20:12

Hi all, for anyone's info, or if anyone wants to lend a hand or just say hey. My two characters names are Kinit the thief, and Delq the priest of guf nork. Feel free to swing on by. smile And bring some loose change too. lol jk

2019-02-20 10:32:16

Hi all,
I just want to quickly give my thoughts on this mud, and maybe get some advice. The newbie area was easy for me to get through, however the hints once you get to Ankh-Morpork could be more helpful. Particularly where you have to do something in one of the job centers concerning the forms or the lack of forms you're supposed to hand in to get a job. The main problem I'm having is that some of the NPC's keep steeling my items which makes it hard for me to get stuff done as a newbie. Any tips on how to prevent that would be greatly appreciated. As far as a soundpack, it would be a bit difficult. There are some things that could use sounds, but most of it you really need to look at the text in the descriptions to get somewhere. I give this mud a rating of 5 out of 10 in my book, but other people may rate higher or lower based on there experiences with it.

2019-02-22 00:47:28

That's strange I've yet to get anything stolen by an NPC. Or anyone else for that matter, maybe I've been lucky. lol
Been under the weather lately so haven't been  online, hope to get back to it as my priest char, Delq is raring to go now that I've picked up some priestly things from the Gufnork donation box. Very helpful that was.
But now, I'm not sure how to go about learning my trade exactly. and getting cash is tricky as I'm hardly able to kill more than a cockroach. rofl

See y'all lin game.