2019-02-17 12:56:42

Hello. I want to start producing music but I don't know what I should start with. i all ready have a DAW. but I am wondering if I should start with a mixer, an audio interface or both.

2019-02-18 00:23:58

Well, my friend, that depends on quite a few things there. What kind of music are you creating? Will you be recording real instruments, or playing them virtually inside your daw? Also, which daw is it?
If you are singing, playing real instruments and trying to record them, you may want to get yourself a good USB microphone. Unless you really want to produce absolutely amazingly mastered top-notch audio, it isn't essential to have a mixer. Now, if you want to record with more than one microphone, say, for instance, if you were trying to mic a drum kit, then yes, you may want to get one so you can plug them into the your computer all at once. However, if you're playing your instruments virtually, such as with a vst or something similar, then you just need a good pair of headphones lol. Also, if this is the case, you may want to invest in a small to midsize midi controller, from which you can play your vst a lot easier. Did this help?

-
That Guy. Serving those people since that time. To contact, use that info.

2019-02-18 00:42:10

A lot of people have macs and use them with logic and other software and plugin packages.
Andrelouis is one such guy, he is @freakyfwoof on twitter and does work for native instruments, I know he has helped people over the years and does a lot of band work and his own sort of thing.
You obviously don't know anything about what to do as such.
If you are in the us, www.dancingdots.com could build you a workstation not sure about cost, its flexable however not being in the us myself I havn't takenadvantage of it.
Mind you you could go to lenovo.com or your computer store and build a system either online or ask about it.
Your music instrument store may have someone to suggest to build a system.

2019-02-18 02:47:54

That's for custom build desktops, by the way. studiocat.com is another such resource for excellent custom builds, and while they're likely out of your price range especially when just getting into this, they do definitely live up to the price due to the range of specs you can configure.
As for what you need to get started, Thatguy is absolutely right, you don't really need a mixer/will find it unnecessary if you're doing virtual instruments. If you have a real one though you will want to invest in one. Just don't make the mistake I did if you're going for a Zenix board. Buy a Behringer Zenix q502, not a standard Zenix502. The Zenix q502 is usb-direct, the zenix 502 is not and while that doesn't make it any less usable, you'll be spending $30 on a Behringer UControl202 usb audio interface, thanks to that being the only cheap soundcard I know of to have rca-out jacks.

2019-02-18 06:41:02

@Thatguy. My DAW is reaper, and I will mostly be using virtual instruments.

2019-02-18 10:10:50 (edited by sirpdex 2019-02-18 10:15:19)

The key question you need to answer is,  what genre or style of music are you looking on composing ?
As by knowing this this can make your experience a lot easier,  instead of being overwhelmed and buying every thing you do not need lol.