2019-02-15 14:09:04 (edited by Sightless Kombat 2019-02-16 00:00:44)

With all the hype and interest surrounding The Division 2's private beta, I wondered what the first full game would be to get to a similar level.  In fact, said game has launched worldwide and it's Crackdown 3.

It's also a step forward because Crackdown 3 (CD3 hereafter) is actually the first commercially available game (within campaign at least) to use Microsoft Speech Synthesis API (MSSA) as unveiled at GDC2017 to provide spoken menus.
This post won't go into the accessibility details of the gameplay experience, though suffice it to say that the campaign isn't playable without sighted assistance and the multiplayer whilst enjoyable without sight in a solo capacity will likely be more interesting with co-op partners.  Anyway, back to the menus.

Now there is a caveat at present in the sense that you have to set your Xbox One to English US language Region and location settings.  However, once done, enabling the Let Games Read To Me checkbox (settings>ease of access>game transcription) will give you access to spoken menus without issue.
Having played the game before launch, I can say that during my testing there were in-game elements that read as well but they only partially did so.  I'll provide updates here as to what reads and what doesn't if I play more of the game, but the main menu, sub menus and options menu read, though there is currently data missing (like time last played for worlds/agents before loading in, or control mapping).

The PC version is a slightly different case in that after changing my region settings on my console to get the menus to speak, I tried the PC version and they spoke as well, even though (technically) they shouldn't have done as far as I knew.  This workaround is straightforward enough to get working, with no need to enable game transcription on the Xbox app either it seems.
Finally, Wrecking Zone, the multiplayer portion of CD3, does also have narrated menus, however they aren't quite the same as campaign.  Pre-launch, the options and customise agent submenus didn't read at all in addition to elements of the multiplayer experience (choosing your firearms, explosives or equipment).  However, finding a match (as well as success or failure) read so at least you know what's going on in that uncertain period of time.  The main menu for Wrecking Zone does read and, though the speech interruption doesn't quite work the same as the Campaign variant, it's definitely a step in the right direction.

Here's a demo showing off the main menu systems for both Campaign and Wrecking Zone

Within around a week, two titles having narrated menus isn't something I'd expected to see, especially this soon after the CVAA's expiration of the waver for videogames.  However, I'd certainly say (regardless of the accessibility of The Division 2's private beta and CD3 in terms of a gameplay experience) that I'm looking forward to seeing what Microsoft, Ubisoft and other companies can do in the coming year(s) in terms of videogame accessibility.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2019-02-15 14:32:35

Is there going to be any footage of this in action?

2019-02-15 16:42:38

is there going to be a steam version or microsoft will remain selfish? i can't purchase from store.

2019-02-15 22:52:26

Yeah as much as I love the hell out of all of this accessibility stuff, why are we folks on pc always left in the dust concerning these things? Yes, I want to also play these games, but I can't see myself shelling out several hundred euros for a console plus a tv which I technically don't need because I don't have to see the screen, just to play some games with as of yet questionable playability, even with speech in the menus.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2019-02-16 00:04:16 (edited by Sightless Kombat 2019-02-16 00:05:09)

@2
A not unexpected question.  I thought I'd get the main information up first before anything else.  Anyway, see the original post.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.

2019-02-16 00:05:30

@3
I very highly doubt it.  If you can get a console though you'll have a near identical experience if not a better one as you won't have to buy a high-end graphics card to run the games.

@4
Never said PC was left in the dust.  In fact in my original post I point out that a workaround exists to get this all working.  In fact you may not even need a console, just the Xbox App and the game (changing a couple of settings in the Xbox App may work, but I can't verify for certain if this would have the same results as using a console first).

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.

2019-02-16 11:38:13

Hi.
This is totally amazing for sure. I have got access to Crackdown 3 via Gamepass, and here is what I have noticed so far:
When walking, the footsteps stops when you walk into a wall. When using the left joystick, you move in the direction you push the joystick which makes navigation very easy.
When walking, there are some haptic feedback, which I don't know what means.
When punching, you can actually hear if you punch or kick a wall, also if the wall is to the left or to the right of you.
The footsteps changes depending on what you are walking on, making jumps and climbing easier to do. However, you can get stuck.
So, I think some of the parts of the campaign mode might be playable, if we figure out how exactly things works.
@Sightless Kombat I have a few questions, which I haven't been able to find the answers on in walkthroughs etc.
1. How do you pick up the gear at the very beginning of the campaign mode? I have found some controls which says B is used for kicking, picking up items and dropping items, but it won't work for me. He just kicks.
2. How does the inventory work?
3. When pressing view, the map is shown, and you can use the arrow keys to navigate. Do you know if this can be useful at any point?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-02-16 11:40:40

Hi
It's sade that the console must be changed in region and language. I'm french, and it's will be that the narrator api can read all language. I think that it will be possible.

2019-02-16 12:17:35

@7Picking up/interacting with important items is LB/Left Bumper. X is used to pick up physics objects in the world, with RT being used to throw them.
2. No idea given that, at least pre-launch, it didn't read.
3. The map probably won't be useful at the current time, pre-launch I needed sighted assistance to get anything done.

@8
I am sorry, but I have no idea what you're trying to say.
  The feature that allows the menus to speak in the first place is not available outside of the US region settings at present.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.

2019-02-16 12:35:42

AFAIK 8 is saying that they wish the feature wasn't region locked because it means having to play in a foreign language, whereas the regular narrator support for system menus works in French?

2019-02-17 22:30:05

@Sightless Kombat: Thank you very much. I managed to pick up the gun, but I agree that the campaign mode is unplayable. Too much platforming, it seems.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2019-02-24 09:56:33

were you all able to get narrator to work in the menus? it wont read for me how it is showing in the demo

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2019-02-24 15:08:57

@smoothgunner go to xbox settings\ease of access\transcription and enable "let games read for me", this is currently only available in the US UI but if you change region, you can access this.

2019-02-25 01:53:31

So this is really nice and all, and I'm glad to see a company doing this, but this particular title having text to speech really does nothing for us. I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing this in future titles that would enhance the experience. IE. Mortal Kombat 11 or Rock Band.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-02-25 04:10:35

@14

Honestly it really does do something for you; it provides an example for other developers to look at and learn from. As you can see from the approach that Apex Legends took to blind accessible UI there's still plenty of confusion out there about what the concept even means, so even if Crackdown's gameplay isn't hugely accessible its UI work is still a direct stepping stone to other games that you will enjoy in future. It is also part of the numbers game involved in a feature reaching critical enough mass that it becomes standard.

2019-02-25 09:31:31

It gives us a great possibility to show other developers how menus can be fully accessible. They can even try it out for themself to see how great it works. Therefore, I find this amazing even when the game is not playable.

Best regards SLJ.

2019-02-25 17:53:36

I agree with Liam. While this is a big step forward and I can appreciate it, an accessible UI in an otherwise inaccessible game strikes me as very ironic and it's hard to be happy about it. Having said that, I appreciate what Ian said about this being a step in the right direction.

Discord: clemchowder633