2019-02-15 20:03:01

redfox wrote:

(...)
Maybe it's me not seeing far enough into the situation, but it looks like he got a lot of critisism and was like, ono! I can't deal with this, instead of working with the comunity, discontinued!
If I'm incorrect in anyway please correct me, but that's how it seems to me.

redfox: i can admit that critics hurt, but we haven't give up. To all those who think my skin is thin and soft. You really don't know about the things I have faced in my life. I have eaten a lot of shit, and still I'm alive.

I think I have said pretty clear before. We take some time now to improve and come back next time with much more energy and quality. We want to do the Audio Wizards and Music Maze, because they are different types of games which we are interested in develop now. But be sure of one thing. They will be better tested.

mytruesound.com - we hear the difference

2019-02-15 20:09:31

connor142 wrote:

@38 I highly doubt David had any say in the matter of discontinuation. From what I can gather, he was mainly the pr manager for the project. This means the decision to stop development didn't lie in his hands, at least not entirely.

The decision was mine, but most of the team was agree. I'm the pr, but also the boss ;) And I think I was clever enough to realize that we couldn't continue the same way. Don't worry, GoldGun is coming back, sooner or later. At this time we are negotiating with a group of voice actors from this community. But it will take time, since now we are fully concentrated on the other games, but at the same time, without being stressed about a deadline.

I said it once again. We launched too early, and it was my decision because I just thought it was the better, exactly, to verify that we were going the wrong way. Now we learned that. So yeah, it could have been a Prologue or Episode 0. What it is done is done, and now it is time to fix it.

2019-02-15 20:12:04

Juliantheaudiogamer wrote:

Hi,
Have to agree with Rashad and Redfox here. If devs aren't willing to accept help from the community, but rather discontinue the game, then it's not the community's fault.
Also, I read through the original goldgun released Topic again and found, as Rashad said, no criticism that the game didn't deserve. Sure, some things were repeated a bit too often, but the criticism wasn't too harsh.
And to address this AVEK (this blind organization who forced mytruesound into this script): I would rather go bankrupt than let any damn organization fuck with my game script or whatever aspect of my Project.

The developers are willing to accept the help from the community, but it is not as easy as like saying, yeah, help us, and then suddenly we have episode 2 done.

AVEK is not a blind organization. It is the Finnish fund of audiovisual arts (or something like that).

2019-02-15 20:14:47

JaceK wrote:

Okay. So. My $0.02
(...)
David. It seems you had QA/beta testing and decided, for whatever reason, not to change the script at that point. Was that due to restrictions on the development or just a ddesire to finish up developing and put out ep 1? I'm not expecting a billion word essay on this, a simple yes/no will suffice honestly.

JaceK: It was my personal desire to finish up the developing of episode 1, and stick to the launch deadline that I set to the team 4 months before. I don't think it was an error, but we have paid a high price for it. We are not dead anyhow. We are keeping working on games, but we are not in a hurry anymore.

2019-02-15 20:17:50

wlomas wrote:

i have to agree with the last poster here i think it has folded because they wanted the feedback to be positive and not at all negative.

The project is on an Hiatus until we find the way to do it right, efficiently (without burning to the end the few money we have), with better quality, and with more interesting game play. But it is not an easy task. We are learning, and one thing we learnt was that it is not so easy to do a good quality game in a hurry and with small resources.

2019-02-15 20:28:13

Some of you wrote:

stereotyping.

About the stereotyping: It is true that after the first episode many of you thought it was happening.  I suppose I could have reacted like you did if I would be on your skin. I don't know.

But perhaps one of our "errors" was to launch the game in episodes. We did like that because it was the only way to publish at least something and check the situation. Did anyone thought, that perhaps the idea was going a bit further, and that the other characters in the game will quite soon understand that there was not reason to talk about blindness? Did anyone thought, that perhaps Soren and Maria have had a love relationship before the accident, and that this was the reason why Soren wanted to touch for a moment her face? And we were not planning to talk about that until the forth episode!

2019-02-15 20:31:29

jack wrote:

Jack: thanks a lot once more for supporting us, and because of taking part of your time to bring to the discussion things that we explained before. We really appreciate. We know we have a friend on you.

2019-02-15 20:45:08

That makes a lot of sense, David. I didn't think there were any restrictions put on you guys.

About the episodes and the story evolving, I assumed that was going to happen either way honestly.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2019-02-15 22:42:50

David @57: You're welcome. But what part of me were you going to quote? You quoted me but there is nothing in the actual quote. Better still. No problem!

2019-02-16 17:54:47

38. What it says about David's and the rest of the team's character is that they understand they have issues that need to be addressed. whether than releasing an incomplete product, they are going to go back and figure out where the mistakes were made. I see a lot of people saying that what MTS needed to do are simple fixes, but it goes way deeper than that. It's not as simple as slapping on a coat of paint and calling it done.
There are a lot of moving pieces behind the scenes to make this project work. I think people tend to forget that creating a game isn't just writing some code, yapping in to a microphone, taking some sounds and then calling it a day. there are business aspects to be managed, social media to be ran, voice actors and designers to be payed. This all adds up to a lot of work which takes both time and financial support.
As someone who has sat down with David and chatted with him for quite a while, I know he has the interest of the community at heart. He has apologized several times for what happened, so why drag him through the mud?
One of the problems with this community is that if a game doesn't meet people's perceived standards or a developer has made a mistake, the community tends to vilify them. I'm not saying that when someone creates an audio game we bend over backwards to treat them like royalty, but we need to help them by constructively acknowledging their mistakes, and suggesting a more positive course of action.
I look forward to seeing what MTS releases int he future, and I applaud them for getting out there and really trying.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-02-16 19:45:03

david_oliva wrote:

stereotyping.
About the stereotyping: It is true that after the first episode many of you thought it was happening.  I suppose I could have reacted like you did if I would be on your skin. I don't know.
But perhaps one of our "errors" was to launch the game in episodes. We did like that because it was the only way to publish at least something and check the situation. Did anyone thought, that perhaps the idea was going a bit further, and that the other characters in the game will quite soon understand that there was not reason to talk about blindness? Did anyone thought, that perhaps Soren and Maria have had a love relationship before the accident, and that this was the reason why Soren wanted to touch for a moment her face? And we were not planning to talk about that until the forth episode!

Here's the reason why it bothered me. So, as a sighted person, you will know that it is socially unacceptable to go up to someone and touch them. The face is really an intimate thing, it's not like a hand shake or a tap on the shoulder, something that has no meaning beyond what you can take from face value. So when Soren did that in the game, it basically is a way of saying that blind people have no concept of what is socially acceptable or not. You will come across blind people who have issues in social situations, they might behave oddly in one way or another that a sighted person would immediately see, but not all blind people are like this. So this stereotype is something we encounter quite often. I've been asked by strangers if I want to feel their face, not often, but it has happened. So out comes this game that is basically telling people hey blind people touch faces, blind people don't know any better, etc.

Now, that being said, was it a knee jerk reaction, yes. The thing is though, it seems like anyone who is making audiogames outside the blind community has to involve characters as blind somehow. I think they do it to simplify fitting narrative with game mechanics, i.e. an audio environment. I think a lot of us are tired of seeing blind this and blind that and so forth all the time. It is just unoriginal at this point. Rather than forcing blindness to the forefront, if the character is blind, it could be expressed as just one of many of their traits rather than the dominant one. It would be like if someone took one of the aspects of your appearance, or a character trait and threw it out there all the time, but instead of just doing it to you, they did it to a whole group. Like, if you have a big nose or something, they'd be like David, the big nosed game developer. I think the najority of people are OK with their blindness, and while of course we realize it sucks from time to time, and we do face struggles that others do not, it's not like it's an overall negative thing. But no one seems to want to see past the blindness to the other things we can do. It's always Mark, the blind woodworker, Jennifer, the blind writer. George, the blind musician. Tina, the blind developer.

So every time an audio game comes out that does this, it's kind of like sigh, this again?

Anyway, not trying to beat a dead horse, just putting this out here to try to justify maybe a little bit why the reaction was so strong, even if in hindsight, it got blown out of proportion.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united