2019-02-13 11:02:51

I know how much iTunes is hated, but the one reason I like iTunes is because of the quality that their music comes in. The files are 256K bps m4a .. Whatever encoder Apple uses has a very distinct sound to it which I like. I am curious what this is and why only Apple, at least to my  somewhat narrow knowledge has used it.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-02-13 16:09:30

It's nothing special. Mp3 320k, which most newer stores offer, sounds better overall. ITunes has an mp3 encoder that you can convert songs with, but I much rather just buy if somewhere else, makes your music less of a pain to manage anyway. If you're really after higher quality, there is a smaller store that has flac-only stuff, but due to the storage expect to pay double the price of an album. If you want a cheaper more international store that sells music in mp3 320k, mp3va.com

2019-02-13 17:09:39

Can't Bandcamp also do it?

2019-02-14 00:31:31

I only by things off of itunes, and often save the audio files from it else where. I have heard mp3 320 kbps, but I can still here a difference between the two. Regardless, I'm fine with itunes quality, or even something a little lower. I was just wondering what they used because I could here the difference between it and other music, actually bought at 320 kbps mp3. Honestly, I like itunes quality better, but not enough to shell out a crap  ton of money for it. I use it for a song I really like. Or I just want something on my phone with out having to put up with, you guessed it, itunes it's self.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-02-14 01:47:40

Other stores are easier to buy music from anyway.
@defender: Badncamp can offer mp3, wav, and flac. However, this hq music store or whatever offers more commercially available music in flac format, supposedly.

2019-02-14 10:29:54

Hi,
I have been wondering about that myself. The Songs on Itunes sound better somehow as compared to their 328kbps counterparts elsewhere its quite noticable enough that even I can tell that the songs on Itunes sound a bit better.
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, β€˜It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2019-02-14 14:28:09

IT's hit or miss. There are albums that do sound better, then there are those that make me wish I had bought them somewhere else.

2019-02-15 15:11:58

The AAC codec, especially at 128kbps, is a really good codec. It is only just now being passed by opus and opus still isn't fully standard, while AAC has been in use for years. It's so good that in the mp4 specification they ditched mp3-style encoding and use AAC. Unfortunately only aple's encoders can produce high quality AAC without artifacts, since it's a proprietary format. Decoders are open so anybody can play it, but the only way to encode it is by reverse engineering and so those licenses are harsh. There is FDKAac, but when you use it with ffmpeg it sounds noticeably worse. If I want things encoded to AAC for some reason, like to put them as ringtones on my phone, I have to use this command line tool called qaac which uses the iTunes AAC encoders. Like I said opus is passing it up at lower bitrates now but it'll be quite a while before it becomes any sort of standard. YouTube even isn't catching on, they prefer to send you AAC streams.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.