2019-02-14 14:20:05 (edited by ianhamilton_ 2019-02-14 14:20:33)

There's a nice chap in the UK called Barrie Ellis who is an accessibility historian. He is currently looking into history of blind accessible gaming, specifically in the UK. He has a few older things from way back (like level 9 text adventures, and games compatible with the Apple II's speech synthesis), but looking for more.

Does anyone here have any info like that, and/or has anyone here been gaming since decades ago?

2019-02-14 14:33:34

Indeed, I am from the UK and have been gaming since I can remember, probably late 90's, although I doscovered accessible games in perhaps 2003 or so.
I don't really know much about the UK side of things, I believe for a while a company caleld Computer Room Serviecs owned by someone called Steve Nut, acted as a reseller for companies like Bavisoft, however there is a possibility I could be wrong on that front. He had softwre, and then he eventually sold phones with Talks and such. I bought my first Nokia n82 from him. I'm wondering if he might have had the games by Code Factory, maybe.

2019-02-14 19:20:25

I wish he wouldn't try and restrict it to the UK, because I've been hoping for someone who knows what their doing to attempt this for a long time now and that removes allot of the picture, But I guess I understand.
Anyway one early UK gaming icon I know was the UK Audio Network. I was really young at the time so unfortunately don't remember much, but he had a few different games over the years there, playable in the web browser.
As for more modern devs, I can think of NASoft maker of Park Boss and Tube Sim, Rocky Waters, maker of Dragon Village and Space Evaders, and Huw2K8, maker of Warsim and The Wastes.
I think someone said the guy that makes the Spoonbill Software titles is from the UK as well, and I'm sure I'm missing some especially in the mobile field.

2019-02-14 21:38:51

I'll pass that on, I'm sure he would be interested in global info too

2019-02-15 15:04:33

Somethin Else, developers of iOS games Papa Sangre, Nightjar, Papa Sangre ii and Audio Defence, were also based in the UK.
Interestingly, the original, free version of The Nightjar seemed to be a UK partnership between them and something like Ridly's Gum or something weird like that!